B17 and P63 collide at airshow

Angrybk

2 minutes ago, DKTanker said:

OMG, I had been offered a Saturday afternoon ride on that B-17, I declined because I'm a bigger fan of college football.

Congratulations, it is like you were born again.

Did you get to understand this idiom?

Just touched base with a friend who's in the Round Canopy club.  He notes some rumint that there may be indications the p63 pilot was suffering a medical event and wasn't really flying at that point. 

Another aircraft flying straight through the fuselage just aft of the wing will tend to separate those components. 

My great uncle was able to bail out of a B17 at altitude and land safely even after the tail had been shot off. Co Pilot and Bombardier got out too. Rest of the crew died of wounds or in the crash. tail No. 41-9018

Edited by rmgill

44 minutes ago, rmgill said:

Just touched base with a friend who's in the Round Canopy club.  He notes some rumint that there may be indications the p63 pilot was suffering a medical event and wasn't really flying at that point. 

What happened to that 48 hour before comment?

f7au3nXOQ=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Yes it made it back and landed safly

...Before firm conclusions. I clearly state that its RUMINT. One can safely discuss RUMINT if you clearly state it is such. One should not draw firm conclusions for 48 hours. Thats the point of the rule. 

And you state that the p63 flew around and landed safely after that? I guess you mean in the above example B17 (All American III) is a different instance. That was a wingtip of a bf 109, not a fuselage through the center. You can clearly see the bulk of the tail completely separate from the B17. It looks like from just behind the main wing. Where many if the ride alongs would have been. 

Dave, I am glad you are still with us. 

Edited by rmgill

3 minutes ago, rmgill said:

Before firm conclusions. I clearly state that its rumint. 

And you state that the p63 flew around and landed safely after that? 

It is STILL rumor.

Where did I say that? The B-17 landed safely after a collision with a Bf109.

1 February 1943 - This Day in Aviation A badly damaged Boeing B-17F-5-BO Flying Fortress, 41-24406, All American III, after collision with a Messerschmitt Bf 109 over Tunis, 1 February 1943. (U.S. Air Force)

You really do have to improve your reading comprehension.

The first pilot to fly ThunderbirdVern L. Moncur Biography (303rdbg.com)

10 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

It is STILL rumor.

You know what RUMINT means right? 

Where did I say that? The B-17 landed safely after a collision with a Bf109.

Your statement of 'Yes it made it back and landed safly' was unclear. Thats not my comprehension but your stilted commentary and complete lack of specificity/clarity. 

1 February 1943 - This Day in Aviation A badly damaged Boeing B-17F-5-BO Flying Fortress, 41-24406, All American III, after collision with a Messerschmitt Bf 109 over Tunis, 1 February 1943. (U.S. Air Force)

I am quite familiar with the fact that All American III made it back. How does that relate to the incident today in Dallas? 

You do understand the difference between completely severing ALL structure in the middle of the fuselage as compared to a slashing damage down the side of the same? In the former, having the tail completely separate from the wings, engines, forward fuselage is really bad. 

Aircraft with no tails that are designed to fly with tails tend to stop flying when they lose them. I have actually spoken to someone who was in one. That would be my great Uncle Roper. 

Edited by rmgill

3 minutes ago, Angrybk said:

All I can think is that the P63 pilot had a cardiac event or something? It doesn't look like he was even trying to dodge the B17....

It has been suggested that his attitude with respect to the B-17 (he was in a banking turn) meant he couldn't see the other aircraft.  Of course the pilot of the P63 may have been in distress which caused the banking turn.

2 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Naw, your reading comprehention sucks.

"Yes it made it back and landed safly"

So clear. 

2 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

I don't think you were familar with the a/c photo I posted as you would have know it, the B-17, landed safely.🙂

I don't think you realize how much of a B-17 geek I was as a kid. Between a Grandfather and a Great Uncle who both were USAAF. 

I quite clearly thought you were implying somehow that the P63 landed. I could not figure you to be THAT thick, so I had to go back and re-read and re-interpret. Hence my edit and further comment. 

3 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

If you were such a B-17 geek as you claim to be, then you should have know the comment was for the posted photo, not some P-63 you pluck out of thin air.

Wtf dude, this is a thread about a terrible airshow tragedy. There’s gotta be a full moon or something tonight, people acting like complete assholes on a million different forum threads here. 

Edited by Angrybk

1 hour ago, Angrybk said:

Wtf dude, this is a thread about a terrible airshow tragedy. There’s gotta be a full moon or something tonight, people acting like complete assholes on a million different forum threads here. 

You can thank Ryan.🙂

It would seem rather trivial compared to the deaths of the aircrew, but, considering the apparent rarity of the P63 on the airshow scene, could this be the prototype aircraft that was returned to flight a few years ago?

Have we any word on the identity of the B17?

Its sickening. I cant even bring myself to watch the video footage.