What are we watching right now?

Murph

While I am far from SW fan I think that Rogue One was pretty average. It is a "rag-tag bunch of misfits" type movie w/o single likeable character. Only reason it was liked was that almost everything else SW has been such utter crap recently. Even Mandalorian stopped being good in the 2nd season.

Edited by bojan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bojan said:

While I am far from SW fan I think that Rogue One was pretty average. It is a "rag-tag bunch of misfits" type movie w/o single likeable character. Only reason it was liked was that almost everything else SW has been such utter crap recently. Even Mandalorian stopped being good in the 2nd season.

It was the 'red shirts' episode! It was just the 'grunts' of the SW universe, which I kind of found entertaining.

2 minutes ago, TrustMe said:

I thought R1 was a lot more darker than traditional SW films. The bit were *SPOILERS*       Cassian shot a fellow rebel was extremely dark.

Yes I enjoyed the 'grey' version of the Rebellion==I think the guy Andor shot was just one of his "rando" informants. Still a cool touch. One of my favorite things is to watch movie reactors react to Rogue One==the 'back shot' always gets a shocked reaction.

Suddenly all my complaints about the Andor reactors are for naught! It occurred to me that, hardscrabble worlds like Ferrix are like 'Flyover Country', populated by those redneck deplorables.

5 hours ago, Angrybk said:

Andor seems like some good writers trying to shoehorn some sense into a plot-universe that is severely lacking. Definite "trying to make a muscle car out of a Prius by putting a giant engine in it" vibes. 

I like the 'no Jedi/no Sith' concept of this dystopian fiction. It makes things seem more 'possible' in the here and now, in a lotta different ways, and not just in the hackneyed 'bolshie class warfare' that so many Hollyweirdos seem to see everywhere.

The 1972 version of 'The Getaway' by Sam Peckinpah; It was pretty enjoyable but here's a scene (mixed in among the Peckinpah style shootouts) I didn't appreciate 'back in the day';

Some con man hustles The Ali McGraw character, and McQueen's character get his property back:

Who taught McQueen how to fight? Those blows are absolutely brutal, and there's barely any 'wind=up' before throwing the punch.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now Shark Week is not diverse enough; way back when Nat Geo were also having it's Shark Fest, didn't I comment that all the biologists were either 'stunning and brave' wymmyns or effeminate men?

Just finished watching SAS Rogue Warriors. Anything that portrays an SAS  attack with authentic gear, overlaid with an Motorhead soundtrack has got to be worth watching, and it is.

Ok, they played around with some of the history a bit. But it really is damn good fun. The remarkable thing is, most of the bits you think are completely made up, turn out to be mostly true.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched two episodes of "Sprung" on freevee channel. Fun show. Same developer as for "My Name is Earl," common themes.

1 hour ago, Stargrunt6 said:

I've been on an anime dive. Watched the first Gundam movie. Now I'm splitting my time between Area 88 and Death Note.  Since we are all military fans, I highly recommend the former. 

Did you watch this? https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GR9P57W96/saga-of-tanya-the-evil

1 hour ago, Stargrunt6 said:

Nope I've never even heard of it.

This is a good, spoiler-free opinion

Not your usual military loli anime

Yet another tsundere loli in a military state that seems suspiciously similar to Nazi Germany? No, no, it's a lot more complex than that! Don't let Tanya's appearance or the fact that the characters use magic dissuade you. *This review was written after episode 2, so I'll keep updating. Spoiler free* The first two chapters are very interesting story wise, because they toy with the viewer over and over. Every time you think you've understood the characters or the world they live in, something else is revealed and you have to reconsider your perception - they KNOW you're expecting clichés, and they want to surprise you. And I must say, they're good at it! The art is interesting, with sepia tinted colours that contrast perfectly with Tanya's turquoise eyes and magic circles, perfectly matching the war theme of this anime. Tanya's expressions and eye design might annoy some, but they're interesting compared to your average cold expressionless loli - she doesn't even try to hide her feelings unless it's necessary to achieve her goal. Every character has a design fitting their personality, which makes Tanya stand out even more. So far, so good. I started watching it out of boredom fully expecting to drop it after episode 1, and now I'm absolutely hooked.

The 1978 "All Creatures Great and Small" was mandatory watching when I was a child. Some excellent acting all round.

There is apparently a new version which has positive reviews. It has big boots to fill.