New book on Cold war plans of Warsaw Treaty on South European Theater

I've found very interesting book on on Cold war plans of Warsaw Treaty on South European Theater (Balkans, Turkish Straits, etc.).
Great advantage of this book - it's written with a heavy reliance on documents from the archives of Warsaw Treaty countries. And for the first time I've seen heavy use of recently declassified Soviet documents (from Ukrainian Military Archive in Kiev).
The only drawback of the book - it's written in Russian :)
Here’s a link to the author's web-site: https://warplans.org/

Sample the maps: https://warplans.org/book_sample_maps.JPG/
It's bilingual and has some details and excerpts from the book translated into English. 

IHMO, especially interesting in this book regarding current situation are plans of Soviet operations in the Black Sea, regrouping of Soviet troops to Bulgaria and plans of landings to capture Turkish Straits.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 9:31 PM, Mykola Saichuk said:

I've found very interesting book on on Cold war plans of Warsaw Treaty on South European Theater (Balkans, Turkish Straits, etc.).
Great advantage of this book - it's written with a heavy reliance on documents from the archives of Warsaw Treaty countries. And for the first time I've seen heavy use of recently declassified Soviet documents (from Ukrainian Military Archive in Kiev).
Here’s a link to the author's web-site: https://warplans.org/

Sample the maps: https://warplans.org/book_sample_maps.JPG/
It's bilingual and has some details and excerpts from the book translated into English. 

IHMO, especially interesting in this book regarding current situation are plans of Soviet operations in the Black Sea, regrouping of Soviet troops to Bulgaria and plans of landings to capture Turkish Straits.

Do you have new link for map

On 6/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, Mykola Saichuk said:

Here’s a link to the author's web-site: https://warplans.org

Sample the maps: https://warplans.org/book_sample_maps.JPG

This is the combat use of the air assault brigade in forcing the sea strait (Bosporus).
I photographed in the archives of the Ministry of Defense. This photo is in the book.

Edited by Mykola Saichuk

I believe it is... maybe in the archives of Byelorussia and Russian MOD...

BTW: I've ordered the book, it costs 20$ plys 22,50$ for shipment to Poland. Payment via PayPal... and now sitting and waiting.

Will get you know after the book arrives to me.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:34 AM, Darth Stalin said:

I believe it is... maybe in the archives of Byelorussia and Russian MOD...

BTW: I've ordered the book, it costs 20$ plys 22,50$ for shipment to Poland. Payment via PayPal... and now sitting and waiting.

Will get you know after the book arrives to me.

Your book is going to Poland. The air raid  delayed the shipment today.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, Stuart Galbraith said:

I think I just bit my tongue... thanks so much for sharing that.

Is there anything like this on operations against West Germany?

The main goal of the airborne division is the area where the reserve command center at NATO Allied Forces Central Europe. I give 3 schemes for performing such a task at the Zapad-81 exercise in Belarus (the division and regiments have conditional numbers, as it was during the Soviet exercises).

Other area of a possible landing of an airborne division is the area of Pirmasens, Kaiserslautern, Mannheim, Germersheim. There were a many of warehouses (including POMCUS), parking lots of several reserve command posts of the Central Army Group (command post on railway and command post on cars). The airborne assault should also contribute to the crossing of the Rhine.

Edited by Mykola Saichuk

On 1/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, Mykola Saichuk said:

Your book is going to Poland. The air raid  delayed the shipment today.

OMG...! 

[conspiracy theory mode on] I believe that was NO ACCIDENT... [/conspiracy theory mode off]

BTW: Mykola, where are those maps from? Also from that book or from any other source material You have access to?

16 hours ago, Darth Stalin said:

OMG...! 

[conspiracy theory mode on] I believe that was NO ACCIDENT... [/conspiracy theory mode off]

BTW: Mykola, where are those maps from? Also from that book or from any other source material You have access to?

These maps are from the memoirs of General V. Achalov. 
He was the last commander of the airborne troops of the USSR.

1.jpg

17 hours ago, Mykola Saichuk said:

These maps are from the memoirs of General V. Achalov. 
He was the last commander of the airborne troops of the USSR.

1.jpg

Mykola, are there any more interesting maps in that book? Other exercises, war plans etc.?

There's a possibility that this book is still available and can be purchased in Poland via internet book store...

Edited by Darth Stalin

21 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

The author of this article refers to this book:

https://www.magyarmenedek.com/products/11852/Magyarorszag_az_atomhaboru_arnyekaban_-_Horvath_Miklos_Kovacs_Vilmos.htm

This book is very informative.
I recommend these 3 books on Hungary in the Warsaw Pact.

1.jpg

4 hours ago, Darth Stalin said:

Oh man! Do you know Hungarian language? 

Anyway, where could these books be purchased? 

Today the development of technology helps to read even in Hungarian 😀
This is the Military publishing house of Hungary. I bought in Budapest. I'm sure they send by post packages.