Steel Beasts Pro PE - Upgrade 4.3, July 2022

Ssnake

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Certainly not to Russia.

IDK if you are aware, but Russians have a trainer remarkably similar to a Steel Beasts. OTOH, there is no commercial version available... Will try to find some pics.

I wouldn't rule out reverse engineering and outright theft of our IP; after all, Russia has a state's full powers for hacking.

But it's probably less costly to develop something from scratch and to simply copy what you like; after all, the Personal Edition is freely available.

It is made on different engine, at least an acquaintance who has tried both said. It came here with T-72B1M tanks few years ago, I will try to get some screenshots, there were some on the local forum.

And ofc, screenshots are now gone (linked from other place few years ago... :( ), but I have managed to find this, part of the Kornet/AT-14 simulator that uses same base "game".

MPzHhXX.jpg

Edited by bojan

Looks similar only in the sense that they are topically related. There's only so many ways to skin a cat when you're developing a desktop trainer.

The distinguishing features are laterality (how many different systems can be networked in a common exercise), scalability (how many users in a network session), controllability (deterministic scenario execution, or completely autonomous AI actions), span of control (how many people do you need to run an exercise for a given tactical level, and realism of procedures, and of results. Steel Beasts may not be the top dog in any of these categories, but will score pretty high in all of them, which I think is what makes it unique.

...assuming that you are referring to the video about the BTR-82 and BTR-82A:

I've been told that those vehicles share same turret and same sight - TKN-4GA-01. Its magnified optics has range scales for both 30mm and 14.5mm guns (we learned this from a photo of the sight/reticule; since I have no copyright for it I can't share it here). TKN-4GA-01 shouldn't be confused with TKN-4GA. This was originally introduced in BTR-80 in mid 2000s had a reticule with scales only for KPVT and PKT, since it was a replacement of original 1P3-series sight.

So... intentional, a feature, and a learning opportunity. :)