Cans, Suppressors, Moderators, mufflers....

rmgill

I am looking at getting one or two and wonder if anyone has any perspective on the YHM units that are apparently no frills lower cost models but seem to be mostly just unfancy unlike the SIG ones which have fancy printing patterns on them and stuff. 

My first thought is the YHM Resonator (possibly the K) in .30 cal for use also on 5.56mm rifles. 

YHM makes inexpensive, robust gear.  I have friends with the YMH cans and they are happy with them.  Not going to be light or "elegant" but they will last a long time.

Most issues with cans are due to improperly mounted interfaces; brakes, tapermount, whatever. 

I generally suggest picking one brand with consistent mounting arrangements, since every company tries to tie you into their mounting arrangement.  I like Griffin stuff.

S/F....Ken M

What brands would be a good choice for a lightweight/ultralight FH/can combo? The only scenario I can imagine where I'd want a can is where I'd be on foot, and my knee cartilage vetoes anything heavy these days.

Apparently the back end of the YHM cans can be adapted to other mounts from Q (Kevin B formerly of AAC) and the like. There are even direct thread to barrel adaptors. 

Durable and reliable I like. 

7 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

What brands would be a good choice for a lightweight/ultralight FH/can combo? The only scenario I can imagine where I'd want a can is where I'd be on foot, and my knee cartilage vetoes anything heavy these days.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/sportsman-ultra-light-300-silencer/

Assuming a 30 caliber rifle envelope.  They make a titanium taper mount but that's like an ounce saved.  I like their basic brake/ taper mount, since that effectively becomes the first baffle of the can.  S/F...Ken M

I have seen some folks point out that Griffin makes some nice muzzle device alternatives that are smaller and shorter and take a whole inch of the entire assembly (muzzle device/can) on the rifle. And as it's on the very end, a heavy steel brake or flash hider is going to be a lot of moment arm. Especially on a longer rifle. 

I've had of all of a 15 minute conversation with Kevin Brittingham at AAC like 15 years ago on can design (which was drinking from a firehose). But now I'm looking and learning again. 

How critical is the interface between the can and the attachment device with regards to gas seal? YHM seems to make a big deal about a double gas seal forwards and after the can to muzzle device threads to help prevent gas and combustion byproducts working their way in there to prevent thread locking.

Just for fun I extracted the audio for the unsuppressed and for the first two suppressor can shooting sequences and pushed them through the spectrum plot in Audacity.

Unsuppressed the peak value was about -26dB with a peak just below 500Hz, but as he didn't wait between shots he didn't let the echo subside before firing again, so that may be a little bit higher than it should be.

The first can test gave -33dB with a peak at 157Hz and the second can test yielded -36dB with two peaks, the first at 114Hz and the second at 3770 Hz.

I checked the first can test spectrum again and it also had a secondary peak at 3770, also -36dB. I suspect that his comment that the second can test sounded "sharper" is because he could pick out the high frequency peak more clearly, because the lower frequency peak was lower.

As the suppressor has no effect on the bullet speed, I speculate that the high frequency sound was the crack of the supersonic bullet passing by.

I found his narrative a bit confusing to follow, but I think he started with 5.56 unsuppressed, then used the brown suppressor with 5.56, then the black suppressor with 5.56. I assume that the brown is a purpose-built 5.56 item and the black is for .300, but I didn't find it clear from the commentary, what with his blathering on about different magazines and complaining about internet RSOs. I'm sure it's more obvious to those who actually handle rifles regularly.

I suspect that analyzing audio that's come from a small camera is not going to be very ideal for truly measuring the real dB levels. The Mic on the camera, video/audio transcoders, etc are going to clip and distort the actual sound. 

The black can is a .30 cal can. You can use a larger bore can for smaller cartridges, but not the other way around for obvious baffle strike issues. A longer/larger can will suppress the sound better same as a small muffler on a car will work less well than a very large muffler. Slowing the gases down and allowing for expansion/cooling is the effect of the suppressor. 

As for why 300 blackout magazines HIGHLY obvious vs 5.56 is that they use the same mag well size, same magazines, same overall length and in fact and one can inadvertently mix them up and since .300 Blackout can fit into a 5.56 chamber, you can can get a very bad kaboom becuase the bullet will not go anywhere.