• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/20/2022 at 8:18 AM, bojan said:

.45 really sucked as a SMG cartridge.

Bojan, you are in violation of  the  "St. John Browning deification Act of 1976" .

Subsection 1911 requires glorification of all thing .45 caliber. 

21 minutes ago, 17thfabn said:

Bojan, you are in violation of  the  "St. John Browning deification Act of 1976" .

In handguns, for the blessed .45 was designed for one. Can't blame the round if the Gubbermint misuses it. 

1 hour ago, 17thfabn said:

Browning preferred .40 caliber himself over .45. :D

11 minutes ago, bojan said:

Heretic!!!

9 mm I could understand.

.40 is the transgender of calibers. Should not be allowed to compete or be seen in public. Probably why no self respecting gun shop has any in stock.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, 17thfabn said:

A quick change barrel, a pistol grip and a decent bipod would have done a lot to improve the U.S. BAR. Maybe a 30 round magazine, thou that may have been too long and interfere with operating the weapon.

Unless it was above rather than below receiver...  But that sounds too much like most other armies' magazine LMGs.

image.jpeg.2b7f1ff1dfd3e64f211f414dd50ca381.jpeg

5 hours ago, 17thfabn said:

Heretic!!!

9 mm I could understand.

.40 is the transgender of calibers. Should not be allowed to compete or be seen in public. Probably why no self respecting gun shop has any in stock.

Are you insinuating that saint John Moses Browning, Jeff Copper and Theodore Roosevelt was wrong?

I do certainly hope that you are only referring to the .40 S&W abomination, that was developed by the evil minions of Satan, to defile the infallible creation of Jeff Cooper. This with the aim to create a round suitable for women, weak wristed men and degenerated government employees.

• 9 months later...

On all key technical measures, the Next Generation Squad Weapons program is imploding before Army’s very eyes. The program is on mechanical life support, with its progenitors at the Joint Chiefs obstinately now ramming the program through despite spectacularly failing multiple civilian-sector peer reviews almost immediately upon commercial release.

https://www.armytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2023/02/28/the-not-really-next-generation-weapons-program/

5 hours ago, Markus Becker said:

On all key technical measures, the Next Generation Squad Weapons program is imploding before Army’s very eyes. The program is on mechanical life support, with its progenitors at the Joint Chiefs obstinately now ramming the program through despite spectacularly failing multiple civilian-sector peer reviews almost immediately upon commercial release.

https://www.armytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2023/02/28/the-not-really-next-generation-weapons-program/

This article has been pretty widely panned as an unsupported opinion piece.  I'm still waiting for field reviews.

Great videos!  I've also taken the M7 concept with a grain of salt and I don't see it 'replacing' the M4 or 5.56.

I consider this video rather authoritative:

As long as someone in the military thinks that rifleman's rifle decides even squad level firefight there will be no solution.

Edited by bojan

• 2 months later...

The XM7 & XM250 are in field trials.

Probably not surprisingly since this is a review by an Army publication it is receiving rave reviews.

A Soldier with the 75th Ranger Regiment said on the XM7, “Absolutely would take this weapon to combat in a heartbeat. It is light, functions very well, has an awesome load system, and is easy to handle and engage targets with.”

On the XM250, another Soldier expressed, “I would certainly take this weapon into combat today. This feels like a huge upgrade as far as ergonomics of controls, recoil management and ease of manipulation over the M249.”

https://www.army.mil/article/264799/army_moving_forward_with_next_generation_squad_weapon_program#:~:text=Last April%2C the Army awarded,within the close combat force.

3 hours ago, Dawes said:

Seems that, no matter how thoroughly weapons are tested, when they get out into the field some issues pop up.

'Field use' and 'field testing' are NOT the same thing. ;)

Edited by shep854

On 5/28/2022 at 3:12 AM, bojan said:

I think that 7.62x25 was better SMG caliber than 9x19 or .45.

3 hours ago, Sardaukar said:

Wicked little round.  The original-spec cartridge is banned in US as 'armor piercing handgun ammunition'.

5 hours ago, Sardaukar said:

Yes, high mv = flat shooting = better effective range (if SMG was even hallway decent). But 9x19 was also decent compromise. Only .45 really sucked and gave Americans impression that SMG is "sub 50m thing".

1 hour ago, sunday said:

7.63 Mauser, the round preferred by knowledgeable mobsters when their rivals use armored vehicles, and the 7.62x25 could be still more powerful.

Hot loaded 7.62x25 from SMG length barrels gets pretty close to .30 Carbine muzzle velocities, through with a lighter bullet.

Mobsters also preferred .38 Super chambered 1911s over .45 ACP for same reason.

Edited by bojan

• 6 months later...

Troops from the 101st Division and the Ranger regiment testing the new next generation squad weapons.

In the pictures the weapons appear to have massive muzzle flashes. Comments in the article say this is due to firing blanks, and blank adapters being used.  

"Next Generation Squad Weapons Tested by Ft Campbell Infantry, Rangers"

https://soldiersystems.net/2023/12/11/next-generation-squad-weapons-tested-by-ft-campbell-infantry-rangers/

image-83-2.jpg