Best Looking Tanks

Poopstain

Hello gentlemen:

Pure aesthetic question here--what are your top couple of best-looking tanks?     Please post pics!

I'm going with the T-62 (just looks like a tank should to me and with a gun longer than Wilt Chamberlain's ---ah---arms) and the Crusader--the Miata of tanks.    

You guys? 

crusader.jpeg

t 62.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, R011 said:

The M41.  Just the vehicle one must have for shooting at Godzilla.

My sentimental favorite as well. There was one in a local park when I was a kid, and I spent a lot of time climbing and avoiding wasps on it.

3 hours ago, Poopstain said:

and the Crusader--the Miata of tanks.    

But Miatas are reliable. ;) Crusader was certainly a handsome machine, though.

Challenger 1 & 2, Ariete (basically a good looking Leo 2*...), T-80U, M48A3, T-50, M22 Locust (absolute winner), M24 (M41 is M24 after McD diet... :D ).

up the A4 they are too square. A5 gun looks too short, A6 and later look "unbalanced".

8 minutes ago, shep854 said:

Centurion

Cent, Tiger, T-55, KV-1 and few more get "proper tank look" award. :)

M1 would be great looking but really visible turret asymmetry ruins it all. :(  

Edited by bojan

K2PL/K2M looks great as projects. Obviously M1 series, especially newest M1A2SEPv3. Merkava Mk4M and Challenger 3 are also very good looking.

yZCrkPc.jpg

17.jpg

FI_4WziaQAAQRlx.jpg

20 hours ago, sunday said:

Jagdpanther had a certain, wedge-y beauty.

Handsomeness, I would say.    

And Interlinked---did the girls saw the end off of that barrel?   

20 hours ago, bojan said:

Challenger 1 & 2, Ariete (basically a good looking Leo 2*...), T-80U, M48A3, T-50, M22 Locust (absolute winner), M24 (M41 is M24 after McD diet... :D ).

up the A4 they are too square. A5 gun looks too short, A6 and later look "unbalanced".

Concur re Chally---she makes "deadly modern utility" look sleek:

Challenger tank.jpeg

On 1/14/2022 at 4:41 PM, Rick said:

Waiting for someone to come up with one of the Girls and Panzers comic thingy.

I think it doesn't quite go along with with what a tank is imagined to be ;)

There's a lot of good looking tanks with all sorts of different looks. A sophisticated, sharp, and smart look is done well by many modern MBTs. But I think raw power and brute is the most often imagined trait for a tank. So I'd have to go with the Tiger that has a neat camo. Perhaps mid production that has the zimmerit, Without it, it can look too plain and blocky. Late production loses the rubber tires and the rubber ring adds a little more visually. Early turret mantlet is a bit plain looking. The later mantlets look more interesting and beefy.

AVvXsEiPRYQOAv4mATgWkcIMia21RnEWxANRhbbl

Hard to pick a second. Too many choices.

17 hours ago, Poopstain said:

Concur re Chally---she makes "deadly modern utility" look sleek:

Challenger tank.jpeg

Just add side add-on armor and dust skirts. W/o them it looks like a fat girl in the mini-skirt. :)

no one has suggested the Char B bis, I wonder why not?

just fooling.

I thing the Tiger 1 at the angle that Futon's photo shows is hard to beat even though I'm not a fan of German tanks in general due to reliability issues but this isn't about reliability.  It's about appearance.  My personal favorite is a cast hull Sherman with the long tube gun and all the add ons.  Modern tanks look great but they all look about the same as form follows function.

Honorable mention should go to the FT17 for cute but deadly.  The M48-60 is very TANK as well.

12 minutes ago, Tim the Tank Nut said:

I thing the Tiger 1 at the angle that Futon's photo shows is hard to beat

Because that angle hides butt ugly front that looks like some kid made it out of Lego. :D

2 hours ago, sunday said:

You are blind, man. Front of Tiger is awesome! 😋

The early Leo 2s with that flat turret face had a similar look.

2 hours ago, sunday said:

You are blind, man. Front of Tiger is awesome! 😋

And you don't like brutalism? :D

3 hours ago, bojan said:

And you don't like brutalism? :D

Way back in time...waaay back, when I was a young tanker trainee at Ft. Knox my parents came by for a family day event.  Part of the activities was an armor display of past and present tanks from the various collections on Ft. Knox.  Pzkw III, IV, and Panther, and Tiger 2, a T-34, T-55, and T-62 as well as many US tanks.  My mother remarked that the German tanks from WW2 were the most "tank" like tanks followed by the the three generations of Soviet tanks.  In the case of the Soviet tanks she thought they were starkly utilitarian and beastly.  Her take on the US tanks over the years was that they gave an aurora of softness.

40 minutes ago, DKTanker said:

Way back in time...waaay back, when I was a young tanker trainee at Ft. Knox my parents came by for a family day event.  Part of the activities was an armor display of past and present tanks from the various collections on Ft. Knox.  Pzkw III, IV, and Panther, and Tiger 2, a T-34, T-55, and T-62 as well as many US tanks.  My mother remarked that the German tanks from WW2 were the most "tank" like tanks followed by the the three generations of Soviet tanks.  In the case of the Soviet tanks she thought they were starkly utilitarian and beastly.  Her take on the US tanks over the years was that they gave an aurora of softness.

For your sake, she told this only to you?