WayPoint 2028 - US Army new division based structures.

Damian

DOD...Do it Over Dude. Let's reinvent the wheel for the, what, fifth time since the 1980s? I wonder which will be the "interim" force structure and which will be the "objective" force structure? What will be the Force 2041 Stryker, acting as a placekeeper for the next twenty years?

4 hours ago, FALightFighter said:

More ERCA will be probably be at Corps-level.

That's absurd. The ERCA may reach out to 70km, but it has a lot of potential at lower ranges, such as MRSI. Does a division not look 70km forward? Apparently a penetration division does but why not a heavy division?

In Israel we are in the process of restructuring (albeit, not much has been heard about it in a long time) finally to BCTs and even some battalion combat teams (BtCT), and BCTs have an artillery battalion organized as a BtCT, and they are being upgraded to have L52 guns, with a potential for guns similar to the ERCA. So the IDF sees potentially ERCA-level capabilities on a truck, fitting the purpose of a brigade level unit. And we're obviously more short-range oriented than the US counterparts. So something here is odd.

shipping constraints? us arty is willing to travel, but these extra-long barrels are probably hard to maneuver inside ships. besides , i know there are travel locks on vehicles, but does the barrel whip affect these extra-long barrels?

5 minutes ago, bd1 said:

...but does the barrel whip affect these extra-long barrels?

Oh yeah. Sure they can shoot at 70km, but hitting anything w/o guided rounds is a whole different thing.

1 hour ago, RichTO90 said:

DOD...Do it Over Dude. Let's reinvent the wheel for the, what, fifth time since the 1980s? I wonder which will be the "interim" force structure and which will be the "objective" force structure? What will be the Force 2041 Stryker, acting as a placekeeper for the next twenty years?

The Army has apparently decided that Iraq and Afghanistan were flukes and COIN not a thing, and that they are happier fighting North Korea and Russia, so let's plan for that.

1 hour ago, bojan said:

Oh yeah. Sure they can shoot at 70km, but hitting anything w/o guided rounds is a whole different thing.

Not only about hitting things. 70km is achieved through munitions that are not only guided, but also rocket assisted. Statistical fire is hardly needed at such ranges so I think everyone's fairly content about the current state of arty.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, Mighty_Zuk said:

Not only about hitting things. 70km is achieved through munitions that are not only guided, but also rocket assisted. Statistical fire is hardly needed at such ranges so I think everyone's fairly content about the current state of arty.

It seems there are also plans to rearm M109A7's with new gun with longer barrel. Probably M109A7's will receive L52's, while M1299 ERCA with L58 will be at higher level support.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, DKTanker said:

What it really means is that there will have to be a shitload of new engineer battalions raised.  I count seven battalions of engineers assigned to a penetration Division. 

I wonder if the engineer battalions in the combat brigades are the same battalions from the engineer brigades? Is it just showing them being assigned to the combat teams as part of a task force?

14 hours ago, 17thfabn said:

I wonder if the engineer battalions in the combat brigades are the same battalions from the engineer brigades? Is it just showing them being assigned to the combat teams as part of a task force?

No, they are dedicated units. Units are not listed twice.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, Olof Larsson said:

I guess that means that US Army will have a lot of heavy brigades, even more light brigades and a very limited number of "medium" (Stryker) brigades, making most Strykers surplus.

Me omw to purchase a divisions worth of Strykers

• 4 months later...