WayPoint 2028 - US Army new division based structures.

Damian

https://www.battleorder.org//post/waypoint-divisions?fbclid=IwAR2b2Axi7R2KU7BWU0Yi8he9KCv5cbQriIFfcaZZmVaJpmN2hQY846QcnNE

So the US Army will undergo a structures modernization. New structures will emphasize that new primary unit of action will be division and not a brigade. 3 types of brigades will be kept, it will be armored brigade, stryker brigade and infantry brigade, and they will create a base for entire division structure.

MHAZXRl.jpg

CmQJZak.jpg

AF76Dds.jpg

24sTtxS.jpg

Ja5weOQ.jpg

In summer 2023 1st Cavalry Division will be reformed in to a Penetration Division, next to follow will be 1st Armored Division so 2x Penetration Divisions at least. As I checked current structures, we can expect that US Army with ARNG will be capable to have also around 11x Standard Heavy Divisions, 4x Standard Light Divisions and at least 2x Joint Forcible Entry Divisions - Air Assault/Airborne.

As we can see US Army will become much more heavy force. Number of MBT's, IFV's and tracked SPH's will increase, as well as other tracked vehicles. Even light divisions will receive a tank battalion using MPF light tanks. Infantry brigades also will become motorized.

Divisions will also be able to receive support units from Corps level.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

46 minutes ago, Olof Larsson said:

I guess that means that US Army will have a lot of heavy brigades, even more light brigades and a very limited number of "medium" (Stryker) brigades, making most Strykers surplus.

They would be used for the Joint Friendly Entrance Mobile Divisions... 

13 hours ago, DKTanker said:

What it really means is that there will have to be a shitload of new engineer battalions raised.  I count seven battalions of engineers assigned to a penetration Division.  That's more engineering assets than 7th Army had during the CW.

And 7 cavalry troops. I guess the Army is getting ready to break the Stalin Putin line

1 hour ago, TrustMe said:

Does anyone have any ideas why the US army is now refocusing on heavy divisions and possible opponents?

Welcome in Cold War 2.0.

What I also want to add, is that my calculations of 11x Heavy Divisions is based on my observation of current structure.

So if US Army will convert: 1. 2. 3. 4. 7. 25. Infantry Divisions and US Army National Guard will convert 28. 29. 34. 35. 36. Infantry Divisions then US can have 11 Standard Heavy Divisions, of course this is option maximum. All these divisions either have ABCT's or SBCT's, and have potential for such conversion. Of course there can be less, we will see in time.

1. Armored Division and 1. Cavalry Division are already scheduled to be converted in to Penetration Divisions.

"1. Armored Division and 1. Cavalry Division are already scheduled to be converted in to Penetration Divisions."

Huh. I guess I'll be rotating out just before it gets interesting.

Pleased to see ADA BNs back in the Div structure, though I can't help but wonder if they need to be even more. Unless the laser-based weapon enters service.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, DKTanker said:

What it really means is that there will have to be a shitload of new engineer battalions raised.  I count seven battalions of engineers assigned to a penetration Division.  That's more engineering assets than 7th Army had during the CW.

Penetration Division has 7 EN Bns, but the BCT EN Bns are small, only 2 EN Cos.

USAREUR (7th Army) in 1989 had more than 7 x EN Bn: 18th EN BDE had 4 x EN Bn, V Corps had 2x divisional EN Bn and 130th EN BDE with 3, and  VII Corps had 2 x divisional EN Bns and 7th EN BDE with 5 EN Bns- I get 15 x EN Bns, plus an assortment of companies, and I'd guess that the older battalions were larger, although I'm not sure of the structure of the EN BDE in the penetration division.

14 hours ago, Manic Moran said:

"1. Armored Division and 1. Cavalry Division are already scheduled to be converted in to Penetration Divisions."

Huh. I guess I'll be rotating out just before it gets interesting.

Pleased to see ADA BNs back in the Div structure, though I can't help but wonder if they need to be even more. Unless the laser-based weapon enters service.

1st Cavalry Division is scheduled for conversion in summer 2023.

12 hours ago, FALightFighter said:

Penetration Division has 7 EN Bns, but the BCT EN Bns are small, only 2 EN Cos.

USAREUR (7th Army) in 1989 had more than 7 x EN Bn: 18th EN BDE had 4 x EN Bn, V Corps had 2x divisional EN Bn and 130th EN BDE with 3, and  VII Corps had 2 x divisional EN Bns and 7th EN BDE with 5 EN Bns- I get 15 x EN Bns, plus an assortment of companies, and I'd guess that the older battalions were larger, although I'm not sure of the structure of the EN BDE in the penetration division.

I was suggesting a bit of hyperbole, but the point remains, one division has an awful lot of engineer battalions.

4 hours ago, Manic Moran said:

I'm 1AD...

So I guess 2025 would be conversion schedule?

What's the rationale for the penetration division? and where are the MLRS?

You have everything written here -> https://www.battleorder.org//post/waypoint-divisions?fbclid=IwAR2b2Axi7R2KU7BWU0Yi8he9KCv5cbQriIFfcaZZmVaJpmN2hQY846QcnNE

MLRS is Corps level artillery support.

Edited by Damian

The link says "1 Robot combat vehicle company"

The Maneuver includes 3 Armored Brigade Combat Teams. Each will include an HHC, 3 Combined Arms Battalions (CAB), 1 Armored Cavalry Troop, 1 Robot Combat Vehicle (RCV) Company, 1 Brigade Engineer Battalion, and 1 Brigade Support Battalion. The Combined Arms Battalions are intended to be a 2-to-2 mix of Armor and Mechanized Infantry Companies, undoing the 2016 change that turned CABs triangular. Additionally, the Armored Cavalry Troops will likely be composed of 2 Tank Platoons and 2 Bradley-mounted Scout Platoons.

I guess they will be called Terminators 😀

2 hours ago, Damian said:

So I guess 2025 would be conversion schedule?

You have everything written here -> https://www.battleorder.org//post/waypoint-divisions?fbclid=IwAR2b2Axi7R2KU7BWU0Yi8he9KCv5cbQriIFfcaZZmVaJpmN2hQY846QcnNE

MLRS is Corps level artillery support.

Thanks, it all sounds very Soviet.

7 hours ago, Manic Moran said:

Looking at the Guard side of the house, it looks like one Penetration division, one Standard Heavy, all the rest Standard Light.

This is official?

What about US Army?

11 hours ago, rmgill said:

Which state's NG units are getting re-horsed on tanks? 

I don't think any are. I believe that the ARNG has 5 x ABCTs, which matches the 1 x Penetration Division and 1 x Standard Heavy Division. The question that I see is where doesn't the other Stryker BCT go? Probably just into a non-standard Light Division, could beef up either of the heavier ARNG divisions, or could be a Corps-level recon asset.