Kazakhstan

Simon Tan

Looks like the new man in Nursultan is in trouble. Protests in the east have spread to Almaty and the President is asking for  CSTO assistance. Read Russian. 

A new front in Cold War 2…?

Increase in LPG prices is the apparent reason. I wonder if the authorities were looking to export vis domestic consumption. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always heart warmed when anyone not from the US decides cheap fuel is a god given right. When I was a kid, I always assumed it was just us Americans. But subsidies were a big problem in Vez, back when it had an economy, and there was time five-ish years ago some Iranians burned down some gas stations over a gasoline subsidy cut. I kinda only thought Americans were that angry over fuel change prices, but it definitely seems to be something you can't just change as a country. Regardless of the form of government or climate, you probably shouldn't make major short term changes to fuel prices if you can help it. Seems to cross every cultural and political boundary if you bark up that tree. Definitely something to be changed (be it taxing more or subsidizing less)...gently.

[Simon mode]Lies! Is another attempt of evil pro-globalist-imperialist color revolution instigated by local US embassy and Soros to save Ukraine Nazis' butt! Has nothing to do with sudden doubling of gas prices in country where government is assumed to control everything![/Simon mode] 😁

Edited by BansheeOne

Please stick to being yourself. Your indoctrination dies not lend well to thinking beyond it. 

It seems like a internal struggle as much as anything with Tokayev  taking control of the national security apparatus. 

There is no Banshee mode needed. 

5 hours ago, Josh said:

I'm always heart warmed when anyone not from the US decides cheap fuel is a god given right.

Gas price in Kazakhstan is a way bigger problem, since a lot of people use it for heating, cooking etc, and are already strained to the breaking point. Realistically, if gasoline prices in US doubled there would be a lot of problems, but people would hardly die of the starvation/lack of heating, which is a a real prospect in Kazakhstan.

I wish I could say more, there was a plan in the company I work for to do some marketing in Kazakhstan, did not turn out, so I just had a brief 5 days visit about decade ago. One impression - despite all beautification of the NurSultan/Astana city center poverty was hiding behind every corner, in the ways that makes Brazilian favelas look a cool place to live. Mid class was happy to own renovated Khrushchyovka , poor people... well, you can see where it is going.

Edited by bojan

Liberating some money from bank office....

5 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

Please stick to being yourself. Your indoctrination dies not lend well to thinking beyond it. 

It seems like a internal struggle as much as anything with Tokayev  taking control of the national security apparatus. 

There is no Banshee mode needed. 

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Clearly Kazakh Nazi's demanding access to cheap German Beer and French Cheese are upsetting the applecart of Glorious NovoRussia Future.

Protestor: “We want to live like in Sweden or Norway. We are tired of corruption. It is peacefiull protest, no looting”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0HoI3OPxM

Not surprising, it immediately became subject of irony

15 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

Looks like the new man in Nursultan is in trouble.

Interesting to note that there is still no word from Nursultan (Nazarbayev) himself, despite of his official status of father of the nation. Probably he is waiting to see what side prevail, or just is in medical trouble....

Interesting to note that there is still no word from Nursultan (Nazarbayev) himself, despite of his official status of father of the nation. Probably he is waiting to see what side prevail, or just is in medical trouble....

According to media yesterday a Tu-214 VIP took off from Moscow to Kazakhstan to pick him up. Future neighbour of Yanukovych?

Edited by alejandro_

35 minutes ago, alejandro_ said:

According to media yesterday a Tu-214 VIP took off from Moscow to Kazakhstan to pick him up. Future neighbour of Yanukovych?

Well that would be rather dramatic. If that were true, that seems to imply Nazarbayev has a lack of faith in Tokaye...or else a conflict with him.

6 hours ago, bojan said:

Gas price in Kazakhstan is a way bigger problem, since a lot of people use it for heating, cooking etc, and are already strained to the breaking point. Realistically, if gasoline prices in US doubled there would be a lot of problems, but people would hardly die of the starvation/lack of heating, which is a a real prospect in Kazakhstan.

I wish I could say more, there was a plan in the company I work for to do some marketing in Kazakhstan, did not turn out, so I just had a brief 5 days visit about decade ago. One impression - despite all beautification of the NurSultan/Astana city center poverty was hiding behind every corner, in the ways that makes Brazilian favelas look a cool place to live. Mid class was happy to own renovated Khrushchyovka , poor people... well, you can see where it is going.

That is really saying something. I was just in Sau Palo and Rio, and directly across from a Favela in Rio. It wasn't as bad as the Venezuallan refugees under the metro in Medellin but it was hardly glamorous.

5 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Here is official statement of Belarus MoD – they are sending “peacekeeping  company made of SOF brigade”, they will be flown by RusAF planes to KZ. No idea how many peoppe are in "“peacekeeping  company" - but i think there will be no need for strong force, as local KZ units are well capable of defeating insurgents

Белорусские миротворцы отправились в Казахстан. Официальное заявление министра обороны - YouTube

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

That is really saying something. I was just in Sau Palo and Rio, and directly across from a Favela in Rio....

Caviat is that I was in Brasil in 1999., but I doubt that things have changed much.

Opinion from Russian social networks that may explain quick win of protestors in main cities: “I don't have any special information on the events in Kazakhstan, so I won't pretend to be an expert. There is only one observation. As you know, the main driving force of any batch is militants. And the breeding ground of any protest is the wonderful people of the capitals, who are for all the good and against all the bad. They create numbers on the streets with pots on their heads, as well as an ideal picture for the media supporting such protests. On their backs, the militants pass to power, and then a small part of them sticks to a new feeder, and the main part is simply thrown out as unnecessary and then groans in the kitchens - did I give it to that? Sorry - what were you fighting for?! But without them, naive and beautiful, the seizure of power by militants would look intimidating and completely inappropriate for showing a beautiful picture of the struggle for freedom.

So, judging by how quickly the Kazakh authorities completely surrendered Moscow, ugh - Alma-Ata and Tselinograd without a fight, and then just as abruptly started the power option, a kind of Kutuzov cunning Asian tactics looms. Surrender the city to win. Beautiful metropolitan residents who, for all the good things, were left alone for one night with a frenzied pack that came not to fight for freedom, but to tear and burn. And the beautiful ones sobered up instantly, howling - who did you leave us for? Thus, the wolves were torn out of the mouth of the nutrient medium, showing the bunnies who would actually come if everything went too far. And when the security forces will not put the wolves with sticks, but with bullets, the bunnies will no longer shout about the cruelty of the wolfhounds, but applaud and demand more blood.

I repeat, this is not even a version, but an impression. If that's the case, then there's a hell of a smart-ass mind behind it. I wonder whose.” (Yandex-translated)

From what I'm seeing if what's going on there, it s going to take more than a few units of VDV and Special Forces to put a lid on it. Besides, would you want to kick off a major war in Ukraine, whilst Kazakhstan is unresolved? 

Of couse, he is crazy, so there is that...