Ahmaud Arbery murder trial

MiloMorai

8 hours ago, glenn239 said:

The only case I can recall is where a farmer shot and killed a teenager that had come onto his farm and was in the act of stealing his pickup truck from his driveway.  If memory serves, he was charged and either went on trial or is awaiting trial, because the theft of his pickup was not the breaking into his house to threaten his life.   There will be more cases, but that's the one I can (barely) remember.  

Wasn't this in Alberta and it was Injuns doing the stealing?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rmgill said:

For one it would be more secure than when you're going someplace to say shoot at a range as the firearm is going to be on your person and not locked up in the car (assuming you're not taking more than one thing to the range). 

If I went to a range, I might find it so.  As I don't, it wouldn't matter to me.  Other people's experiences may differ from mine.  Note that I support concealed carry even if I wouldn't bother myself.

10 hours ago, R011 said:

Been there, done that.  Not a bad way to spend a day, actually, but I have no great compulsion to do it again.

As activities go, I've had some really great days at the range with friends. Better than sporting events, at least because with good range time there's some meditative and self improvement functions that go into it. I can remember really good range days with friends 20 or 30 years ago. The Tank Net trip to PFT was also excellent in my memory. Hanging out with the guys that went was part of that reward. 

Range time with my niece and nephew, especially seeing the bloom of success on my neice when she'd done FAR better than she thought was rewarding as can be. 

On 11/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, R011 said:

At the very least, one would expect undercover/plainclothes cops to identoify themselves as police.  Three guys with guns chasing after me?  I'd either run or fight myself.

Actually reminds me of a particularly bizarre case at my old school. Sorority girl goes to grocery store to buy cookie dough and bottled water for a party, undercover plainclothes cops think her bottled water is beer and storm her car, not surprisingly she freaks out and grazes one of the cops with her car while trying to escape, gets thrown in jail overnight for assault. I need to find out what happened with her $40m lawsuit :) 

https://www.wtvr.com/2014/03/26/elizabeth-daly-sues-for-40-million?_amp=true

Edited by Angrybk

12 hours ago, Angrybk said:

Actually reminds me of a particularly bizarre case at my old school. Sorority girl goes to grocery store to buy cookie dough and bottled water for a party, undercover plainclothes cops think her bottled water is beer and storm her car, not surprisingly she freaks out and grazes one of the cops with her car while trying to escape, gets thrown in jail overnight for assault. I need to find out what happened with her $40m lawsuit :) 

https://www.wtvr.com/2014/03/26/elizabeth-daly-sues-for-40-million?_amp=true

Its always good when stupid taxpayers foot the bill

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/student-gets-212500-settlement-after-water-mistaken-for-beer/1973126/

So the cops escalated a very minor alcohol enforcement action into a situation with a gun pulled and potential deaths. Seems entirely appropriate, I'm surprised that they didn't get fired for not riddling the vehicle with bullets, those darned underaged cookie-dough eaters.

1 hour ago, DB said:

So the cops escalated a very minor alcohol enforcement action into a situation with a gun pulled and potential deaths. Seems entirely appropriate, I'm surprised that they didn't get fired for not riddling the vehicle with bullets, those darned underaged cookie-dough eaters.

Even if it had been (gasp) beer, cops reactions were just completely ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Angrybk said:

Even if it had been (gasp) beer, cops reactions were just completely ridiculous. 

Well, exactly. Nobody should be at risk of death over this type of crime.

I expect that people will say something along the lines of the officers being at risk of a potentially armed suspect, and there would be some merit in that if cookie dough and sparkling water lovers fit the demographic of crack-smoking minority demographics, why they should have been shot to death by the local freedom loving concerned citizens and all would be well in Smallville.

Any law that police can enforce carries the risk of death either for non-compliance during arrest or what not. 

The libertarian view is that is that this sort of legislation/legal restriction should not even be there. 

Edited by rmgill

1 hour ago, DB said:

Well, exactly. Nobody should be at risk of death over this type of crime.

I expect that people will say something along the lines of the officers being at risk of a potentially armed suspect, and there would be some merit in that if cookie dough and sparkling water lovers fit the demographic of crack-smoking minority demographics, why they should have been shot to death by the local freedom loving concerned citizens and all would be well in Smallville.

Of course what happens in real life was that the cops and justice system look like idiots and end up paying a lot of money to make it go away.

And coppers in England are all Dixon of Dock Street and never use excessive force or shoot people for being brown while wearing a back pack.

3 hours ago, rmgill said:

Any law that police can enforce carries the risk of death either for non-compliance during arrest or what not. 

The libertarian view is that is that this sort of legislation/legal restriction should not even be there. 

It was also Virginia ABC Police (state alcohol control agency for those not of Sam). I hadn’t even known that was a thing!

Yep. Different states have different agencies and schemes for taxing alcohol. Note the BATF in the US. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobbaco, Firearms and Explosives. It's a tax enforcement agency at it's very core.  

18 hours ago, Angrybk said:

It was also Virginia ABC Police (state alcohol control agency for those not of Sam). I hadn’t even known that was a thing!

State (or Commonwealth, to be precise) ABC stores are the only stores in Virginia that can sell hard liquor. I guess a painless way of generating revenue for the Commonwealth, but in the age of state income taxes, having the state government do something better done by private enterprise, a rather clunky thing.

The new governor is talking about eliminating ABC stores.

6 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

State (or Commonwealth, to be precise) ABC stores are the only stores in Virginia that can sell hard liquor. I guess a painless way of generating revenue for the Commonwealth, but in the age of state income taxes, having the state government do something better done by private enterprise, a rather clunky thing.

The new governor is talking about eliminating ABC stores.

I went to school in Va so I’m way too familiar with ABC :)— was just surprised they had a law enforcement unit as well. 

3 hours ago, Angrybk said:

I went to school in Va so I’m way too familiar with ABC :)— was just surprised they had a law enforcement unit as well. 

I heard, the Department of Education has its own SWAT teams. The US Navy's infantry has its own airforce. Think the Nazis were crazy with their convoluted and contradictory command structure?

30 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I heard, the Department of Education has its own SWAT teams. The US Navy's infantry has its own airforce. Think the Nazis were crazy with their convoluted and contradictory command structure?

The real cabal is the folks who profit from oversized paper and printer ink for outputting our ludicrous org charts.

The American Secret Service was for a long time the only federal law enforcement agency, the Marshals Service being more a court security and fugitive retrieval organization.  They were part of the Treasury Department formed to combat counterfeiting after the Civil War.