Manic's New Ride?

rmgill

I have around 6000 miles on my own Ferret over the past years. It's been laid up and needs to be re-worked. 

But...question is. Manic, are ya gonna buy one for a grocery getter and date night car? 

12 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

My dad was quite tall, he fitted in one ok. Mind you, he did say it wasnt a vehicle to crash in. Spam in a can as he put it.

I did fit in BTR-50 based communications vehicle...and it was bit...interesting experience.  

5 hours ago, Sardaukar said:

I did fit in BTR-50 based communications vehicle...and it was bit...interesting experience.  

You could fit a pool table and the couple of players w/o problem in the command versions of the BTR-50. :)

As far as armored vehicles go that one is pretty comfortable.

Edited by bojan

1 hour ago, Manic Moran said:

I still think I'd prefer an M3 scout car, but realistically, I think an M151 is more likely.

Toyota Tacoma, the current choice of scout car!

You will need to source a ZPU, however.

13 hours ago, sunday said:

No much space for both Household 6 and the kids, however.

First time I saw a Ferret on the metal, it looked like a slightly bigger, armored ATV. The thing is really tiny.

And quiet.

I was picking up a drink at Fleet, a motorway service station years ago and as I was walking back to my car, three bushes drove into the car park.

On reflection, it would have been 1993 and they were probably Foxes, not Ferrets. Cool as, though. They'd obviously been tooling along the motorway balls to the wall.

I think the Royal Engineers were still using theirs. Bushes would fit for mk 1/2s with the stowage basket on back and covered in camo-netting. 

Edited by rmgill

We were still using Centurion till about 94/95. Im pretty sure the last ferrets went around Options For Change, circa 1994. Same time they offloaded Scorpion.

You idly wonder how many soldiers would still be alive if they had been using Vixen, the cancelled replacement for Ferret, in 2004, instead of uparmoured landrovers. Even Fox would have been a step up (At least till it landed on its roof).

I remember seeing the TA drive around the village in Fox's in about 1994/95, shortly before they handed them in. It was the only time I ever saw them on exercise around here. Probably wouldnt fit around our lanes in Boxer. :D

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

On 11/5/2021 at 1:04 PM, Stuart Galbraith said:

We were still using Centurion till about 94/95. Im pretty sure the last ferrets went around Options For Change, circa 1994. Same time they offloaded Scorpion.

Ferrets were used as range safety vehicles at BATUS in 96 they were also using Scorpion CVRT as OPFOR vehicles then as well. The CVRT failed the penetration test for the chain gun and they had to keep using the Ferret.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...