The Browning Hi-Power lives...

Springfield Armory (USA) and Girsan of Turkey are both introducing their Hi-Power versions. This seems to fit in with the "Retro" theme that is in vogue in the US these days.  Girsan has a lot of guns on the US market these days, and their overall quality has garnered a fan base of sorts.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

Edited by Dawes

I might be seriously looking at getting the Girsan model when it gets to Canada. Yes you can actually get pistols in Canada it just involves a lot of paper work and hoop jumping. 

I already have a Girsan they are looked down on but are a lot higher quality than people expect for their low price point.

FN always seemed to be very proud of their Hi-Powers.  I am happy with my Argie FM, but would like a surplus Inglis for the history.

Is there any word on where the Springfield Armory guns are actually made?  Just curious.

47 minutes ago, Markus Becker said:

What pistols are not based on a Browning action? 

-rotating barrel(Steyr Hahn)

-gas delayed(Laugo Alien)

-toggle locked(Luger)

Is there any modern handgun that is widely used and not Browning based? 

There's also the Walther locking block, used in the P38/P1, Beretta 92 and Taurus PT92.

6 hours ago, Markus Becker said:

And me not seeing the forest for the trees. Well some trees I "hugged" looong ago. 

What happened in the forest, should stay in the forest.

9 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

Inglis first pattern Chinese Nationalist contract with stock groove and tangent sight. 

Yep.  Also used by Commonwealth.  Back in the '90s a distributor I worked for got a bunch of surplus Canadian pistols which even had Canadian flag decals on the frontstrap.  That was one of several nice guns I passed on, to my current regret.

To answer (partially at least) my own question about the SA-35's origin, the Springfield Armory website states that it is 'Made in the USA'...

On 10/29/2021 at 11:45 PM, Simon Tan said:

Inglis first pattern Chinese Nationalist contract with stock groove and tangent sight. 

I need a stock for one of these… 😊

😁

Maybe we can get Simon to organize another class at PFT but on handguns. 

If so, I'll loan what I have for several out if country tank netters to run in the class. Hafta pay for your ammo though. You'll have to bring your own leather for the Inglis as all I have is period and post war flap holsters. Heck, I can borrow some bigger wheel guns from my uncle too if you want to run .357 or .44 magnum. 

Edited by rmgill

First "wonder nine". OTOH, for all iconic status, it's price before WW2 was eyewatering, you could buy almost 2 Lugers for one HP, and Lugers were pricey themselves. Or much better deal, you could get 4 x Star B and still have few bucks leftover. Despite all "ah Spanish crap" talk, Star B is 1911 (w/o pointless features) in 9x19, rock solid and reliable, so HP only gets +5 rounds in the mag advantage, which IRL is nice to have but not dealbreaking.