Argentina buys Chinese fighters

TrustMe

5 hours ago, urbanoid said:

Early Sidewinder was indeed transferred to China (and USSR) via Taiwan, it forgot to explode and got stuck in chicom MiG-17.

The Soviets also got one that was stolen in W. Germany and driven across the border in a VW...

Considering even Israel gave Iran old Sidewinder rounds, and considering the UK and the US were perfectly OK selling the Chinese everything from torpedo's to 105mm guns, it strikes me as pretty unlikely anyone seriously thought about blocking Chinese access to Sidewinder rounds. I dont suppose that it was shouted about, but considering the amount of people China had a good relationship with, it would be incredible if they didnt. And self evidently they did.

23 hours ago, DB said:

No, really?

My comment was about the "transfer" of technology from the US to China via Taiwan and you think I wasn't implying that the Sidewinder and AIM-120 technology may have been transferred via some route or other?

Of course, the similarity between the Chinese missiles and the ones I mentioned is probably a complete coincidence.

The US is the leading military power and the Chinese copies / acquires its technology and operational concepts, resulting in the PL-5 and PL-12 with its similarity to an AIM-9 and -120 combo. However, the PL-5 is a far from recent development, fielded already on J-6 and J-7 fighters, and based on the Soviet K-13 with the latest version, the PL-5EII, sporting a AIM-9 Lima / Mike exterior. The PL-12s development was supposedly assisted by Russian companies. The Chinese have also moved beyond and fielded the larger PL-15, but this has not been seen on this export class of light fighter aircraft.

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

If I remember rightly from the DCS forums, Chinese SU27's already have the ability to carry R77s?

The older Chinese Su-27s only carry R-27 SARH missiles and have no R-77 capability. Allegedly, they performed rather poorly at BVR combat in an exercise against AIM-120B equipped Gripens from the Thai airforce a while ago. The various SU-30s and newer SU-35s have the R-77. However, the Chinese have moved on from these Russian missiles and field the Pl-12 and, recently, the Pl-15 on their own domestic Flanker variants as well as on its indigenous developments, the J-10 and J-20. In addition, newer Chinese aircraft such as the J-10C are seen with the Pl-10 IR missile, which sports a IRIS-T / MICA-IR configuration, and succeeds the Pl-8 (Python-3) missile seen on older J-8, J-10A/B and older home made Flankers. Newer and longer ranged missiles are supposedly in development.

Edited by Daan

On 9/24/2021 at 4:13 PM, Daan said:

The older Chinese Su-27s only carry R-27 SARH missiles and have no R-77 capability. Allegedly, they performed rather poorly at BVR combat in an exercise against AIM-120B equipped Gripens from the Thai airforce a while ago.

Reportedly, the J-11's which participated to Falcon Strike exercise were upgraded to RVV-AE (export version of R-77).

15 minutes ago, Doug said:

What are the other 4 models on the table? 

"A source with knowledge of the negotiations told Reuters that planes from China, the United States, Russia, South Korea or Israel were being considered."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/argentina-plans-spend-664-mln-fighter-jets-possibly-china-or-us-2021-09-21/

So...

JF-17 (or was) Don't think they offer J-10s.

F-16 probably

SU-33 but others could guess better.

TA-50 surely.

Lavi??

Edited by JasonJ