Argentina buys Chinese fighters

TrustMe

No contract has been signed yet, funding has been allocated. There have been similar news in the past (Kfir for expample). I would wait until I see them landing in Argentina.

An analysis of the announcement (in spanish, usee google translate)

https://www.zona-militar.com/2021/09/17/el-jf-17-thunder-en-el-proyecto-de-ley-de-presupuesto-2022-mas-dudas-que-certezas/

15 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Oh this is excellent news. It's going to fit a Treat on the , Falklands map.

Does this mean we can sell Taiwan Typhoons now?

Oh, you always could, you just chose not to. You can even sell them Astutes, I'm pretty sure they'll take them.

Every bit of technical information that arrives in Taiwan also arrives in Beijing, so no.

For the JF-17, I see that Sidewinder and AMRAAM arrived safely via some route, but it looks like they only got the back half of the F-16 and had to bodge the front of a Mirage onto it.

I suppose it's more capable than the A-4.

As Bojan has said, its the last of the line of the Mig21. Its a very capable little aircraft actually, but it shares the Mig21's short legs, 430 nm according to Wiki.

I dont think we need fear China learning much from Typhoon, considering they have already hacked their way into F35. They would learn even less from unloading our Batch 1's on them.

47 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

As Bojan has said, its the last of the line of the Mig21. Its a very capable little aircraft actually, but it shares the Mig21's short legs, 430 nm according to Wiki.

In spiritual sense, but technically it has nothing to do with MiG-21. It is based on Mikoyan's Article 35 (kind of single-engined MiG-29), with some F-16 influence:

4486-65d05fa55b4ad2976be562f45d18c85e.jp

Unrelated Guizhou JL-9, however, is direct descendant of MiG-21 lineage and produced to the day, actually it got a new export order not long ago:

640px-FTC-2000G.jpg

JF-17 has almost same internal fuel as Gripen, it can take 3 drop tanks and in-flight refuel tube is an option. Still, I don't think it is particularly suitable for Argentina's requirements, but as the saying goes, buggers can't be cheesers, or something to that effect anyway.

Wonder if they were offered J-10? I suppose they were, but maybe it was too pricey.

10 hours ago, sunday said:

Conditions for that financing are going to be interesting.

Chynah is already the main buyer of Argentinian Soy IIRC, and 2nd overall importer, so this will balance a bit the trade imbalance.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

Well if the PRC seems free and able to arm our potential adversaries, I see absolutely no reason not to return the compliment. They would look quite good in a mock Flying Tigers scheme I fancy....

Flying Tigers would look cool, but that would be up to Taiwan.  Just like how any DF-21 anti-ship ballistic missile batteries that China sold to Argentina in direct retaliation for the British decision could have each missile named after a fallen Argentine pilot from the Falklands War, but that too would be up to the Argis to decide.

18 hours ago, glenn239 said:

Flying Tigers would look cool, but that would be up to Taiwan.  Just like how any DF-21 anti-ship ballistic missile batteries that China sold to Argentina in direct retaliation for the British decision could have each missile named after a fallen Argentine pilot from the Falklands War, but that too would be up to the Argis to decide.

Oh, I would absolutely love them to do that. Id love to see what the Argentinians would do with such a baroque arsenal they couldnt actually afford to buy except on the never never.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:09 PM, DB said:

Every bit of technical information that arrives in Taiwan also arrives in Beijing, so no.

For the JF-17, I see that Sidewinder and AMRAAM arrived safely via some route, but it looks like they only got the back half of the F-16 and had to bodge the front of a Mirage onto it.

I suppose it's more capable than the A-4.

Those are neither American AIM-120s nor AIM-9s, but Chinese PL-12s and PL-5s.

No, really?

My comment was about the "transfer" of technology from the US to China via Taiwan and you think I wasn't implying that the Sidewinder and AIM-120 technology may have been transferred via some route or other?

Of course, the similarity between the Chinese missiles and the ones I mentioned is probably a complete coincidence.

10 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Oh, I would absolutely love them to do that. Id love to see what the Argentinians would do with such a baroque arsenal they couldnt actually afford to buy except on the never never.

What do you think the chances might be that Britain and Argentina will cooperate in resource cultivation in this region?  (Do they already?)  Might be another possible success for global Britain?

39 minutes ago, glenn239 said:

What do you think the chances might be that Britain and Argentina will cooperate in resource cultivation in this region?  (Do they already?)  Might be another possible success for global Britain?

Somewhere between slim and bugger all. They won't because they are arrogant enough to think they deserve it all, we won't because we have environmental  targets to hit, and it's too far away to do it without regional cooperation.

Not to worry, it will still be there in a hundred years or so.