Canary Islands volcano is erupting.

sunday

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/people-evacuated-spanish-island-la-palma-after-volcano-eruption-warning-2021-09-19/

La Palma is one of the Canary Islands, and has the capacity of trigger a, admittedly not very likely, submarine landslide able to cause a huge tsunami.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/la-palma/news/141838/La-Palma-volcano-Canary-Islands-Spain-activity-update.html

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I were a New Yorker, I would be moving to high ground, as our beloved leader has canceled his trip over there, and everything he's trying to fix, ends up being much worse... Just sayin.

Not much to see yet, but it's going to play havoc with the observatory

la-laguna-canarias.jpg?v=614765210242c

https://apalmet.es/observacion/terremotos_lapalma/mapa

Edited by RETAC21

10 minutes ago, DB said:

If I'm not being fooled by "false friends", one focus of the local TV report was their concern that the airport would be, or already was, closed.

Indeed, it has been, there's a ferry service from Santa Cruz de la Palma to Tenerife in case anyone wants to get off.

Let's drag this back on topic...

If the left half of the island does fall into the sea, what effect would that have on the next set of US elections? I mean, isn't the whole of the US Eastern seaboard Democrat voting?

(I refrain from making a comment on floating voters out of respect for something or other.)

20 minutes ago, DB said:

If the left half of the island does fall into the sea, what effect would that have on the next set of US elections? I mean, isn't the whole of the US Eastern seaboard Democrat voting?

(I refrain from making a comment on floating voters out of respect for something or other.)

I do not see any relevant off-topic, but the slide is unlikely, and probably there will be more important problems for the US to face. Also, the tsunami will affect the whole US Atlantic and Gulf coasts - Texas, Lousiana, Alabama, Florida...

Some aerial video:

Edited by sunday

19 minutes ago, DB said:

As Quebec is wiped off, Canada is free from the shackles of Frenchdom and they proceed to politely occupy the lower 48, while Russia retakes Alaska and Hawaii becomes Chinese. 

In a week or so, the Australians are begging the French to sell them submarines.

26 minutes ago, sunday said:

I do not see any relevant off-topic, but the slide is unlikely, and probably there will be more important problems for the US to face. Also, the tsunami will affect the whole US Atlantic and Gulf coasts - Texas, Lousiana, Alabama, Florida...

Not so much. South and North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, & Delaware, etc.

31 minutes ago, sunday said:

I think you missed my attempt at humour. The FFZ's main topic is Democrats and voter shares, when it's not talking about how viruses and global warming are all a democrat conspiracy to dox honest Americans, as if party registration wasn't enough when the pitchforks and torches are handed out.

Oh, well, I did not want to sift through some noise in the thread...

Back on topic, some high quality background information: https://www.volcanocafe.org/cumbre-vieja-and-the-san-juan-eruption-of-1949/

Also, a live cam. Seeing those cars moving downslope of the lava is eery.

Edited by sunday

7 hours ago, DB said:

I'm waiting for 'global warming' to be blamed for this....

55 minutes ago, NickM said:

I'm waiting for 'global warming' to be blamed for this....

Congressman Hank Johnson would have you know that warmer water is less dense, thus objects will have less buoyancy in the water and be prone to sinking or even flipping over.  So one should not be surprised to learn La Palma has quickly sunk into the globally warmed Atlantic Ocean causing a Tsunami.  Hank says, "Follow the science."

8 hours ago, DB said:

Clearly a Tsunami would be Trump's fault.

Lava flows are 15m (50ft) thick, several houses have been squashed this night. Estimated lava volume is half of what erupted back in 1971, estimated duration of the eruption is from 2 weeks to 2 months, and it looks like no tsunami this time.

Edited by sunday

8 hours ago, DKTanker said:

Congressman Hank Johnson would have you know that warmer water is less dense, thus objects will have less buoyancy in the water and be prone to sinking or even flipping over.  So one should not be surprised to learn La Palma has quickly sunk into the globally warmed Atlantic Ocean causing a Tsunami.  Hank says, "Follow the science."

For those not familiar with Johnson's logic...

14 minutes ago, lucklucky said:

It breaks your heart. That lady has other similar videos in her feed.

Risk assessment is complicated when that kind of volcano is involved.

Edited by sunday

That volcano opens a new crater, or fissures/series of craters, every time it erupts. As of late, it is every 50 years on average. If you look at an aerial picture of the southern part of the island, the part where Cumbre Vieja is, there are lots of cinder cones created by old eruptions.

It is not the same as estimating flooding risks.

Edited by sunday