Australia to Get Nuclear Submarines

Adam_S

In related news:

AirBus Totaled In Australia.

Australia is replacing all its Airbus MRH-90 helicopters with up to 40 more American UH-60M. Two months earlier Australia announced its navy was replacing its six Airbus MRH-90 ASW (anti-submarine warfare) helicopters with six more American MH-60R helicopters for ASW work. The MRH-90s were scheduled to be replaced by 2037 as they reached the end of their service lives. Replacement is coming more than a decade earlier because the American helicopters are cheaper to purchase and operate (per flight hour) and the AirBus helicopters produce more problems than promised performance.

Air Transportation: AirBus Totaled In Australia (strategypage.com)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine there might be some comparatively minor costs.  Travel expenses for consultants, printing plans and manuals, some admin costs.  Probably cost more to track it than spend it.  The US isn't going to buy the RAN a boat or anything remotely close to that kind of expense.

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

What gave it away, the HMAS Vegemite? Vampirious? Vaporous?

Vegemite...bastards tried to make even me like that vile stuff... :D

Well, Swedes at least can counter it with surströmning, so let's call it a draw. (Yes, I know, you're not Swedish ... but guilty by association).

3 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Well, Swedes at least can counter it with surströmning, so let's call it a draw. (Yes, I know, you're not Swedish ... but guilty by association).

I could offer you Mämmi... 

I hate that shite too... :D

1024px-M%C3%A4mmi_2.jpg

22 minutes ago, Sardaukar said:

I could offer you Mämmi... 

I hate that shite too... :D

1024px-M%C3%A4mmi_2.jpg

What kind of a Finn are you really?😂 Memma is one of the few things in Finnish cuisine I find edible! Should show up in stores around here next week given that Easter is just around the corner. Finnish Christmas food on the other hand I find less impressive.

18 minutes ago, wendist said:

What kind of a Finn are you really?😂 Memma is one of the few things in Finnish cuisine I find edible! Should show up in stores around here next week given that Easter is just around the corner. Finnish Christmas food on the other hand I find less impressive.

I also find Finnish Christmas food less impressive. :D Except ham.

• 3 months later...

It doesn't ... but we do have 7 SSN's rather than 4. This seems another wild belief that we can operate globally without the defence budget to back it up.

Well... its tight even with 7 Astutes. That said, the RN is pioneering a concept in the Gulf, where they forward deploy a Type 23 Frigate, and have the crews exchange out after a few months. it seems to work. It would clearly be rather more awkward with an Astute, because you want to ensure that each crew that rotates in, is aware of any outstanding maintenance issues with each boat. But it should be achievable, and if there are Australians permanently on board, it would make that 'memory' easier to achieve. This sounds awkward, but bear in mind we are pretty much already doing the same thing with our Vanguard boats. Indeed, I wonder if it would be viable to forward deploy HMS Vanguard now she is back in action.

Ultimately I think this could be achieved on the present budget, the only real cost is going to be flying crews out there and back. Maybe we can get a good deal out of Qantas...

Fully agree though, that budget needs to go back to 3 percent. And its increasingly poor excuses for not doing it.