Can anyone new find Tanknet?

Detonable

12 hours ago, bojan said:

Had a Franco entered a war on the German side he would be as villain as every other European dictator that did so. He did not, so he gets a (partial) pass.

Well he did, didnt he? Covertly. He was helping the German war effort by allowing limited refueling of U Boats in Spain, and had allied blood on his hands. As far as Im concerned he should have ended the war swinging from the next lampost over from Benito.

http://dubm.de/en/u-boats-in-spain/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

If only we could limit the number of posts per thread, per day.

Perhaps it will enough limiting the number of consecutive posts by one account with no other accounts posting in between.

So report it to a moderator. If they have a problem with it, then Ill refrain from posting more than a handful a day. Though once again, I think all it will do is highlight how few people are now posting here. If you think thats an achievement, then hop to it.

And what is more, you will have nothing to post because you wont have anything to complain about.

I tried that. Then Sunday here started complaining about walls of texts.

As ive said, if anyone has any complaints, please take it to the moderators and Ill happily abide by what they decide. But the kind of snide unpleasantness exuding from some is unnecessary.  I think that more than anyone is off putting anyone from coming here, and we all have blood on our hands as far as thats concerned.

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Well he did, didnt he? Covertly...

As did Swiss and Portugal and Swedes and Turks. But no anger toward those.

Edited by bojan

36 minutes ago, Simon Tan said:

Franco would not like Tanknet. 

That’s because the German tanks he got were so crappy. At the beginning of the war, wealthy Spaniards tried to arrange for their sons to be in a tank. At the end, convicted criminals were offered pardons if they rode into combat in a tank. 

The Swiss refuelled U Boats? Who knew? :)

The Portugese offered to come in the war on our side, according to a very old treaty, and we let them off because we couldn't defend them and they couldn't contribute much. They didn't refuel u boats, that was a myth.

Turkey, we were actually supplying them steam locos, so they wouldn't buy German ones and be more reliant on them. Our relationship during the war was not bad as far as I can tell.

The Swedes sold us ball bearings, and gave us first dabs on a V2 that landed in their country. They also didn't shoot down our bombers when we infringed their airspace in the Battle for Berlin.

So no, nothing comparable with what Franco did. The only things Franco did for us was pass the documents from Major Martin's briefcase (Operation Mincemeat), and helped us make the Battle of Britain movie in 1969. Even Eire were more cooperative.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

17 minutes ago, Detonable said:

That’s because the German tanks he got were so crappy. At the beginning of the war, wealthy Spaniards tried to arrange for their sons to be in a tank. At the end, convicted criminals were offered pardons if they rode into combat in a tank. 

The National Army preferred the T-26s and BTs. Considering the alternatives were Pz.Is or CV33s...

Edited by sunday

On 8/26/2021 at 3:33 AM, sunday said:

Or...

Sounds more like we should have a Tarkus and Girls Und Panzer Channel on Spotify.....

2 hours ago, sunday said:

The National Army preferred the T-26s and BTs. Considering the alternatives were Pz.Is or CV33s...

PZ1 or CV33 vs T-26 or BT has to have been a new level of your life sucks!

Edited by rmgill

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

The Swiss refuelled U Boats? Who knew? :)

The Portugese offered to come in the war on our side, according to a very old treaty, and we let them off because we couldn't defend them and they couldn't contribute much. They didn't refuel u boats, that was a myth.

No, you paid them off.

My Humber Mk IV was, along with a few other divisions worth of hardware, given to the Portuguese Gov't in April or May of '44. One of the Recce Unit diaries specifically mentions the units driving their Armor down to the docks to be loaded on ships to be shipped to Portugal. They were then given new vehicles to run in for the next few weeks and then load for D-Day as part of the follow on forces (Don't need much recce RIGHT at D-Day as you know where the Germans are 1).

When we bought it, it was in a scrap yard in England at Chris Wilkinson's. He had bought a bunch of kit from Portugal and ours was one of the best of 6 that Chris held onto to sell to collectors. You can, if you look through photos, find examples of Humbers in The Portuguese Carnation Revolution/Coup attempt. 

1. I seem to recall that 15th Recce Landed finally on like D+40 or so, 15th Division landed in July '44. But Recce was the tail end of the units pushed ashore. Even then since  every bit of the line was in contact or nearly so with the Germans, the Recce units spent most of their time acting as rear security and road guards for convoys coming up from the Mulberry. 15 Recce ended up being shoved from one end of the British Sector to the other as well to act as flank guards or liaison with the Yanks during some of the offensives like Epsom and what not. 

Edited by rmgill

That may be so, but it's quite clear we agreed for Portugal not to participate in WW2. We were even allowed to run up a considerable tab with them, over 300 million, big money in those days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal_during_World_War_II

The AC (And some combat aircraft including at least one Beaufighter) might either have been a effort at repayment, or end supplying Germany with Tungsten. That seems to have been a contentious point in 1944.

Why don't you do a thread on the Humber? You rarely post anything on it these days.

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

And you ignore far more serious stuff than refueling submarine because "Stuart said so". So expected.

26 minutes ago, DB said:

The enemy of your enemy is not your friend.

Stubborn ignorance, combined with lots of free time to write, is the enemy here.

Edited by sunday

No, I post a lot because I can actually touch type. Ive moved beyond using the tongue and elbows you know.

I dont know what problem you have with me Sunday, I also dont much care. As I see it, you have basically two options.  Firstly contact the moderators and have me banned as a disruptive influence. As ive said, Ill accept their judgement. Or you can change the record and stop behaving like a peevish child. You boast of how many people you have blocked, actually proud to boast of it. So I would suggest if there issues here, they are primarily yours, and would suggest they are up to you to resolve them. Basically, put up, or shut up.

I have no wish to boast or praise myself, but you can look at  manuals ive uploaded, the news items ive linked, the new threads ive created. ive tried, not always successfully admittedly, tried to help this site by creating new content, to try and get new blood in. You the other hand  increasingly prefer to use it as a vehicle for your ego, or flame other contributors you have an issue with. Im happy to be censored, but not by someone with such a warped sense of history, or by someone with clearly so much spite to share.

If you want to continue in that vein, then good luck, but you have absolutely no place to flame other people about their contributions here. None.

This is my last comment on the subject.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

You post a lot because you simply cannot lose an argument on the Internet, long after everyone who bothers to read any of your screed has realised that you're just digging deeper and deeper holes.

It's a shame, because you also mistake volume for content, so that when you do manage to stumble on a good point, it's lost in the noise.