D day landing craft photos

They are LCA, British designed and manned by the RN. The stills are from a film taken on 1 June IIRC and show the loading of the 5th Rangers of the Provisional Ranger Force at Weymouth. Thus, Assault Group O-4 (TF 124.6) (Provisional Ranger Force) with LCA from LSI (S): HMS Prince Charles, Prince Leopold, and Prince Baudouin and LSI (H): HMS Ren My Chree, Amsterdam and Princess Maud. In this case I believe they are from Prince Baudouin. There was also B&W film shot of the scene. I believe the color film was shot by George Stevens using the small amounts of early Kodachrome film he had brought from Hollywood.

There is (or certainly was, nearly 40 years ago) a replica of one of these at the Dday museum at southsea. The front half anyway, you stand behind the assault troops looking over their shoulder as they are about to storm sword beach, a replica of that piece of film where one soldier pats his friend on the back. Really quite impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Ran two almost identical engines in our Museums Crashboat from the 1950's What a difference in power, running and economy when we upgraded to newer style injectors