60 minutes interviews USN pilots who saw a UFO

17thfabn

Last night the US news show "60 Minutes" had a segment about UFO sightings by the USN of the coast of Virginia in the Norfolk area. Norfolk is home to the largest US Navy base in the world. In addition to the Norfolk base there are several other large USN facilities in the area.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/3NpaM0J2jKjWhU8ZdKENWqDhZpSH8wHZ/5-16-2021-facial-recognition-uap-rafa/#main-container

https://www.today.com/news/ufo-disappears-ocean-newly-leaked-navy-video-t218582

Starts around the 15 minute mark.

It seems like there has been a rash of UFO type stories recently. 

https://www.today.com/news/ufo-disappears-ocean-newly-leaked-navy-video-t218582

It feels like a 70s flash back thing. in the 70s interest in UFOs was big. I hope bell bottoms don't come back!

Hopefully it is some super secret technology by the US or our friends to the North the Canadians. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the USN fighters would leave those UFOs alone. They're only dropping in to SoCal to pick up some churros.

What do our friends to the north need UFOs for? They have the CN Tower.

I wouldnt get over excited, it was only a short while ago they were claiming ot have seen a guy in a jetpack, which turned out to be a balloon. Which I suppose is some advance on all the Weather balloons from the 40's and 50's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54004695

As far as UFO's, I think they are some kind of reality, but anyone expecting aliens (bell bottom equipped or otherwise) is likely to be disapointed. There was an excellent book about 3 and a half decades ago, UFO's a Modern Myth by Jenny Randles. It concluded hat there was a physical reality, probably geologically created, and that the myth was going to get increasingly out of hand. Which, judging by how social media works, proved to be entirely accurate.

Here is the thing. Lets say the DOD has found a way into tapping into that ground energy, and has found a way of triggering them at will, such as by using a high powered radar on a certain frequency. Pure speculation on my part but run with it. Wouldnt THAT be useful if you were fighting a war with, say, Iran, and wanted to scare the shit out of them without necessarily bombing them?

I think this is all a ruse, in much the same way the UFO flaps of the 1950's and 60's were a useful way of covering up the existence of Black programs. That the DOD are suddenly becoming forthcoming with all this after decades of denial really should make anyones tinfoil hat tingle.

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

As far as UFO's, I think they are some kind of reality, but anyone expecting aliens (bell bottom equipped or otherwise) is likely to be disapointed. There was an excellent book about 3 and a half decades ago, UFO's a Modern Myth by Jenny Randles. It concluded hat there was a physical reality, probably geologically created, and that the myth was going to get increasingly out of hand. Which, judging by how social media works, proved to be entirely accurate.

More and more I doubt that even an unusual physical reality for these incidents exists, apart from misidentifying common sources of "strange lights in the sky" like airplanes. I mean, one of the recent videos showed glowing triangles above a Navy ship filmed through NVGs, one of which was blinking.

Everyone went crazy about "pyramid-shaped drones or UFOs", and it turned out the effect can be easily replicated by filming with a camera that has a triangular aperture and having it slightly out of focus. Sources of light then appear as triangular glowing objects. Also, when pointing it at an airplane the "triangle" will blink in the same frequency as its position lights.

I find these incidents more interesting from a psychological perspective, because it shows the power of collective hysteria among organized groups of people like, for example, the military. There's a lot of weird stuff various US government agencies are obsessing about lately. UFOs because someone saw stuff in the sky, microwave or sonic weapons attacking their embassies because people were reporting headaches and various other PTSD symptoms.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

I always imagined as a kid how exciting it would be and how I would react if there was ever proof of alien life. But whenever someone mentions UFOs, I'm like "meh ... if it's really something they'll keep talking about it for weeks". So I might totally miss the greatest news because these UFO guys incessantly crying Wolf! over the last seven decades.

Personally, I think the CIA should make it official policy to take every report absolutely seriously and rendition everybody who reports the stuff to give them the full alien abduction treatment - blinding light, anal probing, disorienting drugs, then dump the unconscious person somewhere on a lonely road in Kansas or Iowa, naked. That way people would think twice ringing the alarm bell. Surely it's going to be unfair for the one who actually saw something worth reporting but as a whole the condition of humanity would improve. Of course, it's also going to attract the perverts, but i suppose you can quickly identify them as returning customers.

18 hours ago, 17thfabn said:

Hopefully it is some super secret technology by the US or our friends to the North the Canadians. 

Nope, they're real.  Saw one point blank around 1997, small little bugger about 4' across.  Looked to me like it was mapping the industrial survey, which was fairly new at that point.  

The stories lately are getting ready for a big US military report to Congress in June.  Everything so far points to this being the official confirmation, so if I were you I'd start shopping for bell bottoms now, before the rush.

2 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

More and more I doubt that even an unusual physical reality for these incidents exists, apart from misidentifying common sources of "strange lights in the sky" like airplanes. I mean, one of the recent videos showed glowing triangles above a Navy ship filmed through NVGs, one of which was blinking.

Everyone went crazy about "pyramid-shaped drones or UFOs", and it turned out the effect can be easily replicated by filming with a camera that has a triangular aperture and having it slightly out of focus. Sources of light then appear as triangular glowing objects. Also, when pointing it at an airplane the "triangle" will blink in the same frequency as its position lights.

I find these incidents more interesting from a psychological perspective, because it shows the power of collective hysteria among organized groups of people like, for example, the military. There's a lot of weird stuff various US government agencies are obsessing about lately. UFOs because someone saw stuff in the sky, microwave or sonic weapons attacking their embassies because people were reporting headaches and various other PTSD symptoms.

Id not made the connection, but yes, its an interesting point. Pentagon went through a similar crisis at the end of the cold war, where they flipped to the middle east to justify its existence.Maybe they figure China isnt enough of a threat to justify LCS?  :D

It depends what you mean by physical reality. I think people are seeing something, akin to ball lightning or aurora borealis. Its still solid enough to leave radar tracks. But nuts and bolts, or the alien equivalent thereof? Roswell notwithstanding, there has never been a single convincing piece of evidence that says they are alien. Im still waiting for something wacky like described in 'Roadside picnic'. But nothing. At this point if its not happened after 70 some years (In fact a lot longer than that) then it likely never will.

Im with Fox Mulder, I want to believe. But...

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

27 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Im with Fox Mulder, I want to believe. But...

Yeah, me too. I was a complete UFO and Alien nut back in my youth. But it's all bullshit so far, and mostly serves as a lesson in critical thinking.

Like the "it was violating the laws of physics" trope we see so often from pilots. Yeah, of course nothing would physically fly like this, because you're probably looking at an optical phenomenon.

Or the ATFLIR video where the "highly trained combat pilots" thought they were tracking something hypersonic because it moved so fast on their screen. Yeah dude, congratulations, you just discovered what a parallax movement looks like. Now hunt down that seagull, Maverick.

2 hours ago, glenn239 said:

The stories lately are getting ready for a big US military report to Congress in June.  Everything so far points to this being the official confirmation, so if I were you I'd start shopping for bell bottoms now, before the rush.

What makes you think he threw out his old bell bottoms?

He could be one of those guys with a closet full of bell bottoms, platform shoes, and shirts with big wide collars, just biding his time.

5 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

I find these incidents more interesting from a psychological perspective, because it shows the power of collective hysteria among organized groups of people like, for example, the military.

There's also a big helping of confirmation bias. If you are looking for UFOs, there will be all sorts of optical data that your brain will interpret as a UFO.

It really boils down to hypothesis testing. When someone presents photos or videos and then makes the claim they are of UFOs, the null hypothesis should be that there are no UFOs, then argue from there to support the alternative hypothesis that there are UFOs being captured.

41 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

What makes you think he threw out his old bell bottoms?

He could be one of those guys with a closet full of bell bottoms, platform shoes, and shirts with big wide collars, just biding his time.

Bellbottoms were the misunderstood accessory of their generation.

1 hour ago, MiloMorai said:

UFO: Unidentified Flying Object which means it could be anything so not necessarily a "flying saucer".

That's been cheapened though, in the media it effectively means Flying Saucer.

The Pentagon is calling them UAP now, unidentified aerial phenomena, and presumably will till it means Roswell...

19 hours ago, Ssnake said:

And more anal probing.

I saw a sketch comedy show years ago where they were pretending to be aliens abducting humans.

One of the spaceman said "why are we still doing anal probes? Haven't we learned everything we can from anal probes?"

The senior spaceman said "it is a tradition, we have to anal probe every human we abduct. It is expected."

Well thats assuming they ARE vehicles of some kind. If they are some kind of electrical phenomena, they dont really need anything else but the Earth as a battery.

The video footage of the USN incident is very interesting though. It reminds me of some sketches by the Captain of a BOAC Stratocruiser that saw them off Quebec in 1954. The similarity to some frames is really quite startling.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db2f9c07d1ca.jpg

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/46jkrog08/02files/BOAC_Stratocruiser_Incident.html#2

Im not sure what conclusion one can come to, but its certainly not a foreign drone.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

6 hours ago, Angrybk said:

Obvious question about the UFOs is that they are always small speedy things and need a much larger delivery vehicle, which would be much less stealthy. 

There have been large "cigar" shaped objects seen. The smaller "UFOs" could be drones, and not Earth drones.