US Army to scrap Stryker MGS

Dawes

Centauro uses a "pepper pot" muzzle brake to reduce recoil. Has different downsides. But I suppose the main issue is the insistence of the US DOD of using unmodified M68 guns that were still in stock for cost reduction. So you got the full recoil load combined with a gun mounted above the center of gravity in an already top-heavy wheeled vehicle; that means leverage, particularly when shooting over the sides.

The whole concept was idiotic from the start. I said so 15 years ago; seems like someone whose career doesn't hinge on the project has finally mustered the strength to admit it.

9 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

That you can't fire to the flanks for fear of tipping it over, showed it had issues. Still, maybe they can use the hills for 30mm fitted versions.

Well...that's a long way from "tipping it over"...

I can only repeat that I read that they were instructed not to fire on the flanks for that reason. Ill be honest, Im damned if I can remember where I read it, but that was the crux of it.

That said, what happens if you do it and you are side on to a slight incline if you are getting that amount of kick?

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

I vaguely seem to recall Scorpion had a similar issue, although it wouldn't tip over. It would be interesting to learn what it was like in Sheridan.

I remember a former British tank officer saying the same about a vehicle the French tried to sell to the UK in the 60/70s, it must have been the Panhard but I don't remember from the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

I can only repeat that I read that they were instructed not to fire on the flanks for that reason.

...while on a slope.

3 hours ago, alejandro_ said:

I remember a former British tank officer saying the same about a vehicle the French tried to sell to the UK in the 60/70s, it must have been the Panhard but I don't remember from the top of my head.

AML 90s had to be in neutral while firing, possible origin of the legend.

19 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Could have been worse, sparky might have convinced them to mount it on a Gavin...

Would it fit into a C-130 Hercules though? 🙄🤣

Well, the MGS does fit into a Hercules, albeit with flattened tires. It's just that the Herculec can't fly very far with it.

On 5/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, Dawes said:

Presumably vehicles like the Italian Centauro (and now Centauro 2) don't have the same tipping issues? Possibly due to being heavier or having a different center of gravity?

Centauro is much lower/wide  was specially designed for propose.

This is an adapted LAV.

Something like AMOS, or even better NEMO the lighter version, would have always been the smarter play.  That said, it's criminal that these are being phased out so quickly, much like the M327 in the USMC.  No punishment, no change.  S/F....Ken M

12 hours ago, Ariete! said:

Is the idea that the 30mm turret covers some of the fire support requirement and separate M8-equipped units supplement it?

Not sure that the 30mm is on the same basis of issue.

MGS has been on the downslope for several years. Its basis of issue was reduced from basically one per rifle platoon to one per rifle company a few years ago. Never did hear why that happened.

The ammo loadout for the Stryker always made it a problematic weapon system for supporting infantry in battle for any amount of time, not to mention the limitations of the 105mm tank gun ammunition for the same.  E5M had it right, as what was needed was a high capacity HE shooter. A Stryker unit that encounters current battle tanks has to run for it or disperse in any case.