Restoring a Sherman Jumbo

I think I've heard the bearings in the road wheels were up-rated, and the final drives have a greater reduction, but other than that the drive train is pretty standard. 'dunno for sure.

7 hours ago, Coldsteel said:

I think I've heard the bearings in the road wheels were up-rated, and the final drives have a greater reduction, but other than that the drive train is pretty standard. 'dunno for sure.

I am advised that -

the Jumbo had the final drive ratio 10 or 20% higher than the other Sherman models if I recall correctly. I do not believe that any changes to the transmission occured, and it seems likely that the road wheel bearings would have remained the same. The extra 5 tons of weight - The Jumbos were rough on their suspension -- if you look at pictures you can see how the suspension travel is typically severely compressed.

Yes, the final drive ratios were increased from 2.84:1 to 3.36:1, but that was the only change to the powertrain. I haven't seen any mention of wheel bearings in what I've read, at least. FWIW, the M4A3E2 weighed 84,000 lb compared to the 71,100 lb of an M4A3(76)W.

Edit: Great videos, by the way. What a project!

Edited by DogDodger

10 hours ago, glenn239 said:

I am advised that -

the Jumbo had the final drive ratio 10 or 20% higher than the other Sherman models if I recall correctly. I do not believe that any changes to the transmission occured, and it seems likely that the road wheel bearings would have remained the same. The extra 5 tons of weight - The Jumbos were rough on their suspension -- if you look at pictures you can see how the suspension travel is typically severely compressed.

I probably got my wires crossed then. Might have misremembered this:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/suspension/vvss_suspension.html

"It is interesting to note the difference in hub sizes between the wheels. The hub diameter was increased to fit a larger (stronger) bearing (Kurt Laughlin)."

Probably not anything to do with the E2.

Heard a rumour that,

The combat weight of an E8 (not much difference between the M4A1E8/A2E8/A3E8) was around 74k lbs. Add on some field-expedient armour such as steel plate or concrete, and you could quickly end up in the same ballpark as a Jumbo. The steel plate (often cut from knocked out Shermans or German tanks) was very effective. I have not encountered reports of lower reliability for field-expedient uparmored Shermans. A notable example was the command tank of Creighton Abrams called "Thunderbolt VII".

Patton hated concrete and sand bag armour on "his" tanks. US 14th Armored Division was notorious for use of sandbags, and there's a picture of Patton angrily marching towards the camera after "chewing out" a 14th Armored crew for doing so. Patton believed both sand bags and concrete increased wear on the drivetrain and wasn't effective again the primary late-war threat (the Panzerfaust).

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

There is at least one jumbo range wreck near where the Hammelburg raid took place in WW2. If Jumbo's are that rare, im surprised nobody has tried to recover it.

Do you have any more info on this wreck?

There were Sherman wrecks at Hammelburg and some are believed to have come from the Hammelburg Raid, I just don't recall a "Jumbo" being among the. There were speculation that a "Jumbo" might have participated in the Hammelburg Raid, though. 

A 105mm Sherman Was recovered from the range some years back: http://taskforcebaum.de/geraet/wrecks.html

If there ever was such a wreck, I'm sure it has been picked up. Some of the remaining  "Jumbos" are Frankentanks, cobbled together from various wrecks, and your Hammelburg wreck may have ended up as a part of one of those - if it ever existed. 

Edited by cbo

No, only what I saw in an issue of after the Battle magazine about 10-15 years ago. It  was a German during range, but the closeness to where the last of the Battlegroups vehicles was lost made them believe there was some connection, but they could not confirm it.

I'm near certain it was a Jumbo, I think it was the relative rarity of it, and that one took part that have them the suspicion.h

It was only a turret and a hull, the rest had been picked clean.

4 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

No, only what I saw in an issue of after the Battle magazine about 10-15 years ago. It  was a German during range, but the closeness to where the last of the Battlegroups vehicles was lost made them believe there was some connection, but they could not confirm it.

I'm near certain it was a Jumbo, I think it was the relative rarity of it, and that one took part that have them the suspicion.h

It was only a turret and a hull, the rest had been picked clean.

The story and condition seems to fit rather well with the 105mm Sherman, they picked up there in 2003.