I Found an Image/Schematic of The AVCR-1790 Injection Pump? What is This?

Throwaway10

I found the Calibration Adjustment Locations Schematic for the AVCR-1790 Injection Pump at an estate sale recently. Can anyone tell me what this is and if this is historically significant or not? Information seems very scarce and I know nothing about engines or tanks. The only thing I could find about it was a post discussing it on this website. I can't find any pictures of it. Is it really an unused prototype of a military tank engine from the 50's? Thanks!

AVCR-1790.jpg

The AVCR-1790 was a derivative of the AVDS-1790 that utilized, among other things, variable valve timing to increase power up to 1200 hp.  AFAIK, it never entered into production.

The AV-1790 family of engines, gasoline and diesel, powered tanks from the m47 through the M60A3 as well as some rebuilt Centurions, Merkavas, M88s, and at least one of Jay Leno's cars.

Edited by DKTanker

AVCR-1790, as stated in DK's post, never went into production.  The "VCR" stands for variable compression ratio", technology that TCM had originally used in their AVCR-1100 and AVCR-1360 series engine for the MBT-70 and the General Motors XM1 prototype (both unsuccessful).  Initially it was intended for the Teledyne "Super 60" M60 upgrade as well as the ROKIT (K1).  However, as I understand it, it did rather poorly while being tested, resulting the Koreans switching to an MTU engine for the K1.  Teledyne would abandon it for the Super 60 program, instead opting to upgrade the turbo chargers and aftercoolers on the conventional piston AVDS-1790 series to create the 1200 HP AVDS-1790-9 series.  This engine would see service in the Israeli Merkava III and Namer APC.