• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they contain opinions from current and former service members on recent and current developments in DOD.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:40 AM, Simon Tan said:

If a militarist of colour shoots a white supremacist, is it double good?

Double plus good, citizen.

Have a care, though, because questions are close to crimethink.

• 2 weeks later...

Vaguely related;

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2021/03/31/army-combat-fitness-disaster-units-refusing-to-take-test-medics-bailing/

The U.S. Army has a readiness problem the likes of which it has not seen since the draft, and one which threatens to undermine the entire institution. This problem is called the Army Combat Fitness Test. The ACFT was designed to improve the physical fitness levels of soldiers. Because it was so poorly planned, however, 84% of women failed it straightaway, and data is scarce as to whether things have improved. This is a big problem because failure of a graded physical fitness evaluation renders a soldier ineligible for promotion, locked out of specialized training that might otherwise improve a soldier’s acumen or skillset, and ultimately, risks seeing them kicked out of the Army entirely.

Meanwhile, military medical staff—surgeons, nurses, dentists, optometrists, general physicians—are, sources tell me, eyeing ACFT standards skeptically and planning to exit the Army as soon as possible. (Congress certainly seems to fear this possibility, according to language in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021, signed into law earlier this year.) A surgeon can make a lot more money in the private sector than in a uniform. This has obvious, serious implications for military readiness, as an Army without skilled doctors is an Army in serious trouble should a new war suddenly break out.

But it gets worse, as a timeline of events will demonstrate.

I've had students in class talk about this thing. Its been a CF from the get-go.

Obama. This stuff brewed up during his 2nd term. Taxpayers pumped in multiple megabucks into Rand Corp studies.

They're now on v3.0 of the ACFT, apparently.

I've been curious if the deadlift is going to result in more back injuries. Deadlifts make sense as a practical physical ability, but going from bodyweight exercises to throwing heavy iron around by a bunch of amateurs seems risky to me.

Of my students, there are really 3 types; gym rats, road rats, and couch potatoes. I am going to speculate that changing the test won't help the couch potatoes.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a quick search of the army physical fitness test. I read that the exercises were designed to mimic what the soldiers do. Bah! 

Seems like the creators of this test like their cross-fit. Some of the exercises are just silly.