Health Update

Jeff

I've been away for a few weeks. Some of you may remember I have an autoimmune disease that attacks the liver called Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis(PSC). This has been starting to really wear on my health. Chronic fatigue, brain fog, etc. to the point that I can't work. It also increases your risk of getting Cholangio Carcinoma (liver cancer). You may remember I was starting a drug trial when COVID hit. In order to get on the trial, I had to go through multiple tests to prove I didn't have CC, MRI, biopsy, blood tests including a CA19-9 cancer antigen test, fibroscan. All came back clear. Four months into the trial, I had a sit down with my trial hepatologist and said I felt something wasn't right. Nothing pointed to cancer. She agreed to do another MRI(good doctor). this was done on a Friday, On the next Monday she called with the results. I could tell from her voice it was not the Costanza "Cancer? Get out of here!" call. Sure enough, I had a 7 cm tumor in my left lobe. The CA19-9 was still normal, so much for that one! She brought together a team at Yale to handle the case. The surgeon feels he can operate and resect that part of the liver. The oncologist is hitting it with chemo, 2 Mondays on 1 Monday off, this is my off week. They want to do that 3 times and take a fresh look. If all looks good, the surgeon will go in and cut it out. Big operation, no small risk and it leaves me with half an ailing liver to go on. If the tumor had been smaller, they might have gone for a transplant but no dice.

First, chemo sucks but it beats the alternative. Second, I'm lucky to have resection as an option though the operation scares the hell out of me.

Needless to say, I've stayed away from politics and Tanknet. In a world where people are at each other's throats, my wife and I have been blessed with a wealth of good will from friends, family, healthcare workers and people I've never met before. It's truly humbling and a great reminder of the goodness in the world it's easy to miss. I choose to focus on that now.

God bless.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the recovery, but be very carefully with masking up in the recovery week your going to be very vulnerable for catching anything. That's from experience a simple stomach bug put me in hospital for a week when going through chemo it could be worse with the Covid-19 variant of the week. 

Man, so how do you go from a clear MRI to a seven-centimeter tumor in the space of a year, AIUI? Sorry to hear that. We all know people who have beaten this enemy though, including here on TankNet. Seen enough folks fighting it to know it's seriously no fun, but in the vein of similar remarks, don't think of you as a victim rather than a winner in the making. 

28 minutes ago, BansheeOne said:

Man, so how do you go from a clear MRI to a seven-centimeter tumor in the space of a year, AIUI? Sorry to hear that. We all know people who have beaten this enemy though, including here on TankNet. Seen enough folks fighting it to know it's seriously no fun, but in the vein of similar remarks, don't think of you as a victim rather than a winner in the making. 

Worse than that, barely six months. I think I surprised the doctors. 😬 My brother the doctor always said, don't be the interesting patient. I've been pretty interesting lately. 😁

I had to read the opening post a few times for it to sink in.

I am very sorry.  I can say that modern chemo has come a long way and cancer treatments have improved a lot.  I'm glad that you were able to get in for treatment,  in some areas it can be hard just to get in. 

It is very much a mental game, too.  Determination makes a big difference.  Upbeat is good for the body.

Perhaps we can lean on Mike Eastes to write us a "weather prayer" as in a George Patton angle (Patton: "He stands in good with the Lord and I want to decorate him!").  One thing is for sure, cancer is an enemy that everyone can agree on. 

If the chemo appears to be working then the need to cut goes away or is the goal of the chemo to make the cut more manageable?  It seems like 7cm is a considerable size.  It won't fit in a 60mm mortar tube nor a long barrel Panzer III.  There is still time to send it down range via an old school 75mm pack howitzer though so there is that.

Prayers incoming...

Good luck in beating this, Jeff. 

Focusing on family and friends and cutting down on politics and news is a good call. The first will give you joy and strength, the second will make you miserable and depressed.

God bless.

--
Soren

16 hours ago, Tim the Tank Nut said:

I had to read the opening post a few times for it to sink in.

I am very sorry.  I can say that modern chemo has come a long way and cancer treatments have improved a lot.  I'm glad that you were able to get in for treatment,  in some areas it can be hard just to get in. 

It is very much a mental game, too.  Determination makes a big difference.  Upbeat is good for the body.

Perhaps we can lean on Mike Eastes to write us a "weather prayer" as in a George Patton angle (Patton: "He stands in good with the Lord and I want to decorate him!").  One thing is for sure, cancer is an enemy that everyone can agree on. 

If the chemo appears to be working then the need to cut goes away or is the goal of the chemo to make the cut more manageable?  It seems like 7cm is a considerable size.  It won't fit in a 60mm mortar tube nor a long barrel Panzer III.  There is still time to send it down range via an old school 75mm pack howitzer though so there is that.

Prayers incoming...

Likely arty prep fire for the assault that is the surgery. 

Jeff, you are in my prayers.  You're one of my favorite members here and I have always wanted to meet you.

13 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

Likely arty prep fire for the assault that is the surgery. 

Jeff, you are in my prayers.  You're one of my favorite members here and I have always wanted to meet you.

Exactly

Someday, we'll make a point of it.

Having done a full years worth of Chemo, radiation and surgery I can only repeat that, in my opinion, mental attitude is a big factor in your treatment.

The effects of Chemo vary with each individual but is difficult in any case.

Do your best to maintain a good attitude.

• 8 months later...