2021 TV

There is a line in the books (six? seven?) reading something like "Alex had always expected to die in the pilot's seat", so I found his death premature, but fitting. Didn't know about those allegations.

I thought they wanted to make room for having Clarissa as the new default pilot or something.

5 hours ago, rmgill said:

not having the Martian PM involved is very odd

That was more than compensated for by the detailed episodes where Bobbie is investigating all the smuggling operations. Which the authors delivered later as a short story and which wasn't part of book five, but you can't cram a full novel into ten TV episodes without sacrificing somewhere else - going over budget, or eliminating any slow-paced scene, or cutting CGI and other production values.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Allan Wotherspoon said:

Season 8 of Spiral is worth watching if only to watch Gilou and Laure ride off into the sunset together and to see Josephine find her happily ever after with Edelman...

Ive a distinct fondness for Audrey Fleurot. :wub:

Thanks, I might catch up on BBC Iplayer then.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

59 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

There is a line in the books (six? seven?) reading something like "Alex had always expected to die in the pilot's seat", so I found his death premature, but fitting. Didn't know about those allegations.

I thought they wanted to make room for having Clarissa as the new default pilot or something.

That was more than compensated for by the detailed episodes where Bobbie is investigating all the smuggling operations. Which the authors delivered later as a short story and which wasn't part of book five, but you can't cram a full novel into ten TV episodes without sacrificing somewhere else - going over budget, or eliminating any slow-paced scene, or cutting CGI and other production values.

Well, I think we saw a LOT of Marco looking stern and majestic....Naiomi looking frustrated and unhappy and Filip bouncing between angry at his mom and confused....Seems like we saw a bunch of that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 3:05 AM, rmgill said:

Well, I think we saw a LOT of Marco looking stern and majestic....Naiomi looking frustrated and unhappy and Filip bouncing between angry at his mom and confused....Seems like we saw a bunch of that.

TBH, I got tired of the whole "Naomi emoting excessively" story arc. S5 had a lot of good stories, but that wasn't one of them.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, Allan Wotherspoon said:

Poor Gregory Fitoussi.  They killed him off in both Spiral and Speakerine.

IOW, the French Sean Bean. 😀

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan - Smithsonian Channel

The show will explore the warring kingdoms of feudal Japan when several powerful warlords fought to become absolute ruler.

Anyone watching this? What is your thoughts?

Since I know next to nothing of the period (in Japan), I have seen it, and enjoyed it. Everything that makes me go out and look for more info is good.

And yes, the violence is graphically depicted, not only suggested.

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson

9 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

I've said it before, but if you like Samurai, watch 13 Assassins. It's like they took every Samurai film ever made and turned it up to 11.

Absolutely. That is a top lesson how to make a great movie.

I have just started watching two other series, one about pirates in the Carabbean (Netflix), and one about Georg Washington, "Washington" (airing on national TV).

The one about Washington seems most interesting, since all I know about him is that he conquered some airports around 1812.

1 hour ago, Stefan Fredriksson said:

I have just started watching two other series, one about pirates in the Carabbean (Netflix), and one about Georg Washington, "Washington" (airing on national TV).

If you're talking about Black Sails, it has some good points and bad points.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, Ivanhoe said:

TBH, I got tired of the whole "Naomi emoting excessively" story arc. S5 had a lot of good stories, but that wasn't one of them.

For whatever reason, I find show Naomi way more annoying than book Naomi. 

I recently watched season 5 a second time, and the "Naomi emoting" part was actually way shorter than it felt watching it the first time. Now that I'm through with it for the second time, my main gripe is that they seriously downplayed the severity of the cometary assault (by a factor of 1,000 if I recall the books correctly), which at the same time made the whole crisis appear less threatening to Earth than it actually was.

I understand why they did this, of course. Had they kept it, they would have needed to devote more time to the Earth storyline, and there were so many angles to cover that ten episodes were hardly enough. So, all in all, I still think that they did an adequate job and I'd be hard pressed to name a better space centric science fiction show, all factors considered.

Anyone watching Resident Alien?   Alien who is here to destroy human Kind, has to play a human while looking for his lost device... actually pretty good

Prodigal Son... Profiler is the son of a serial killer known as the Surgeon .    Not bad but dark :)

Rookie not bad, the last show was shit... yes too woke

Its motorcycle season so I am ready to ride not watch TV

6 hours ago, T19 said:

Anyone watching Resident Alien?   Alien who is here to destroy human Kind, has to play a human while looking for his lost device... actually pretty good

Prodigal Son... Profiler is the son of a serial killer known as the Surgeon .    Not bad but dark :)

Rookie not bad, the last show was shit... yes too woke

Its motorcycle season so I am ready to ride not watch TV

Resident Alien is pretty good, fun to watch.

I've started watching Debris on Hulu. Interesting so far. 1st episode took some work to get through, but worth it.

• 1 month later...