2021 TV

Stefan Fredriksson

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/15/2021 at 11:28 PM, R011 said:

I don't know what that was, but it wasn't Pratchett and I didn't find myself wanting to watch whatever the heck it was on its own terms.

I watched all four episodes so far and aside from Lady Vetinari being way too tame it's definitely Discworld stuff*. I recommend it. 

*Made from and set in but it's not a straightforward adaptation of one of the books. 

Edited by Markus Becker

1 hour ago, Yama said:

Even with the blue filter for the camera (or post edit)!

I tried to find an appropriate Swedish Wallander Smiling. But couldn't find any.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, rmgill said:

The wife and I are making our way through  Miami Vice. Not woke, decent writing, great music, good old Michael Mann stuff. Police Story is probably next. 

They have recently repeated it on the British Forces network, at least up till the end of Series 3. It still stands up. Quite liked the reruns of the Equalizer too.

If you like classic Television, watch 'The Sweeney'. London before they mucked it up and before they invented political correctness.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Angrybk said:

Because so many people care about which Tv I’ve watched! Cobra Kai is off the charts brilliant, Lupin is ok, The Stand sucks. I have zero interest in the upcoming GoT series despite being a big fan even for the last few episodes (will fight you!)

Nothing beats Spiral though.  Too bad that season 8 is going to be the last.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :D

That reminds me, as i always have an Enfield/Whitehouse sketch ready for any occasion, here is the perfect one with regards to scandinavian noir 😄👮‍♂️:

6 hours ago, Soren Ras said:

Thanks for posting that. The "language" cracked me up so much I was having trouble reading the subtitles through tears.

So that made my morning.

--

Soren

Although the dialogue is pure gibberish mubbling it still sound very danish.😆🤣

10 hours ago, Soren Ras said:

Thanks for posting that. The "language" cracked me up so much I was having trouble reading the subtitles through tears.

So that made my morning.

--

Soren

One more in danish btw 😄

Expanse. Very good. Saving last episode a few more days. Rewatching season 2. Awesome. Will see season 3 too again. But - I really did not enjoy season 4 quite as much. Not sure exactly why, yet.

How about you?

Finished with Justified. Personally I think Boyd Crowder just became too much. My favorite is hands down Dewey Crowe.

17 minutes ago, Stefan Fredriksson said:

Expanse. Very good. Saving last episode a few more days. Rewatching season 2. Awesome. Will see season 3 too again. But - I really did not enjoy season 4 quite as much. Not sure exactly why, yet.

I agree that the current season isn’t quite as good as the earlier ones. I’m a little tired of Naomi’s soap opera, truthfully.

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

It's been good, but it lost me in the last season when a major chapter left.

Did you ever watch Speakerine?  Set in early 1960's Paris in the midst of the OAS bombing campaign.

Poor Gregory Fitoussi.  They killed him off in both Spiral and Speakerine.

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

It's been good, but it lost me in the last season when a major chapter left.

Season 8 of Spiral is worth watching if only to watch Gilou and Laure ride off into the sunset together and to see Josephine find her happily ever after with Edelman...

4 hours ago, Stefan Fredriksson said:

How about you?

Finished with Justified. Personally I think Boyd Crowder just became too much. My favorite is hands down Dewey Crowe.

Dewey was the best.

Expanse, well, one of the problems I have with Season 5 is that they downscaled the casualties of the attack on Earth by roughly a factor 1,000; I understand why they did it, so they could focus on the Roci crew rather than the ripple effect of Earth and the entire system's food supply chain, but still. Also, because they added the Bobbie Draper vs The Heinous Smugglers from Mars story (which in itself isn't bad), and because they revealed the Inaros attack plans as early as the last episode of Season 4, they spoiled a number of major surprises that struck the readers of the novel. I thought that book 5 was one of the best of the series, and book 4 the low point. Ironically, Season 4 is actually devent in the TV adaptation while Season 5 suffered, compared to the novel.

But there's only so many story lines that you can cram into ten episodes, and they had to stretch Naomi's story longer than was good for the show to last until the culmination near the end of the season, and they compressed a lot of Amos and Clarissa, which I thought were among the highlights in the novel. Nevertheless, Amos as a character has gained a lot of depth and complexity from his early days as a shaven Chewbacca, and all in all I still felt well entertained.

I am annoyed that they Killed Fred Johnson early AND Alex Kamal to exit him from the series due to the Me Too allegations. I've dug into one of them and it looks like some sour grapes from a near fling at a con.

They missed out on the details of Naiomi debriefing with Avasarala on her insights into Inaros. And frankly not having the Martian PM involved is very odd. That seems more important than the time they spent with Alex chatting up the MCRN admiral's aid.