2021 TV

Stefan Fredriksson

Just finished "White wall", a Nordic suspense/mystery/supernatural drama of sorts.

During diggings for storing nuclear waste (lots of it) something strange is found...

It has gotten mixed reviews. Some things in the story/setting are way beyond stupid. Gaping logic holes. And why on earth is Aksel Hennie speaking Swedish??

But I liked it despite it flaws.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 2021 exactly, but the third season will continue in Spring 2021. It is a nice bit of media on the end of the military history period that saw Sun Tzu, including logistics and grand strategies.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/12031/Kingdom

Edited by sunday

Watching 'The Great', a comedy about the young life of Catherine the Great played by Ellie Fanning. Kind of like Dangerous Luasions meets The Death of Stalin. It's not hilarious, but it's amusing enough, and Fanning and Phoebe Fox amusing enough to keep me coming back.

I can re-watch The Expanse only so many times, and Amazon's current policy to release one episode per week is atrocious.

I demand my right to binge responsibly.

I didn't start with Expanse S5 until at least 5 episodes were available (I think the first 3 came at once).

Now at S5 of Justified. While still better than many other shows, some things are getting old. You can only have people turn on eachother so many times until it becomes almost ridiculous. And having people shooting others without a second thought, but for years threatening yet others without acting on it,  -because story - annoys me a bit.

Expanse does that part 100% right, imo.

What US,UK series are not woke or stupid todays?

I might even stop seeing any stuff that came from US, UK due to marxo.racist crap. I saw for a time NCIS more as popcorn but today it is insufferable. Not only woke, sometimes they seem to even have lost technical competency with no respect for audience.

Edit: not only cretinous plots but disjointed camera work/editing.

Edited by lucklucky

On 1/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Stefan Fredriksson said:

Just finished "White wall", a Nordic suspense/mystery/supernatural drama of sorts.

During diggings for storing nuclear waste (lots of it) something strange is found...

It has gotten mixed reviews. Some things in the story/setting are way beyond stupid. Gaping logic holes. And why on earth is Aksel Hennie speaking Swedish??

But I liked it despite it flaws.

I rather liked it. It was very slow but that works fine for me and most characters are interesting. For a Nordic series of this type, it was very well done. Sure there was some forced plot and character stupidity, but no worse than in most other similar works.

10 hours ago, Yama said:

I rather liked it. It was very slow but that works fine for me and most characters are interesting. For a Nordic series of this type, it was very well done. Sure there was some forced plot and character stupidity, but no worse than in most other similar works.

And the ending was quite satifactory, in my interpretation (no spoilers).

Well, I haven't read Pratchett, or Gaiman, but from seeing first episode of "Good Omens", I think Pratchett/Gaiman-fans will like it.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:00 AM, lucklucky said:

What US,UK series are not woke or stupid todays?

I might even stop seeing any stuff that came from US, UK due to marxo.racist crap. I saw for a time NCIS more as popcorn but today it is insufferable. Not only woke, sometimes they seem to even have lost technical competency with no respect for audience.

The Expanse. The Boys. The Rookie (though the last episode was totally woke, sadly). Westworld.

Take a look at Legends, starring Sean Bean.

If you haven't watched it yet, The Man in the High Castle

Decidedly tasteless but still interesting, if you can stand the humor: "Preacher", and "Future Man"

51 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Decidedly tasteless but still interesting, if you can stand the humor: "Preacher", and "Future Man"

Stopped watching it at the beginning of 3rd. season, I ceased to be interested on what could happen to the characters.

On Prime video, the adventures of Clarkson & company are fun.

James May has a very interesting, very respectful, and quite well done, travelogue of Japan.

There is also some cool anime in Prime, like Onihei (stories of law enforcement in Shogunate Japan) or Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, a distopian tale with massive railroads.

17 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

The Expanse. The Boys. The Rookie (though the last episode was totally woke, sadly). Westworld.

Take a look at Legends, starring Sean Bean.

Thanks you and others. I saw The Rookie because i liked Castle.  It was nice at beginning and the camera work was top notch in first episodes and even when that stopped was never dreadful as in NCIS.   It went down in quality in last year season, part of it is that initial idea is quite limited and have a shelf life, you can't be rookie permanently... But as all US series nowadays the evil criminal without redemption plus the sexual pervert are always white. In US series blacks are also  criminals but they always go there by a mistake in their lives or societal forces outside their control not because they are inherently evil.

Side note: last year i also saw various episodes of JAG . There is no comparison to NCIS. JAG is literature compared to the dialogue of NCIS, not even the plots.

Another series that i saw last year that was popcorn ok was Patrol Boat a Australian series which is in Youtube.

Edit: another series that i liked to revisit recently also in Youtube was Nero Wolf, that has dialogue, thinking consideration to the audience.

Edited by lucklucky

20 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Watched the first two episodes of Preacher, watched the whole Future Man series. Preacher was kinda interesting for awhile, but as with all Seth Rogen works, the creativity runs out pretty quickly and things devolve into increasingly juvenile shock tactics. Future Man was substantially better; plot lines were recycled from numerous sci-fi prior works, but I thought the evolution of the main character was done pretty well, especially for the genre.

What I loved about Future Man was that pretty much all time travel stories have these artificial rules that you musn't meet yourself or meddle with history by some arbitrary standard because the authors chicken out from the full consequences. Here, at the hilltop they released all the brakes and said, "to hell with it, let's just see where it takes us" including several dozen serial 10 second time jumps with the resulting multiplication of themselves - and their time machine. And that the hundreds of copies of themselves would then start doing their own thing.

The wife and I are making our way through  Miami Vice. Not woke, decent writing, great music, good old Michael Mann stuff. Police Story is probably next. 

Edited by rmgill