Because Biden

nitflegal

8 hours ago, rmgill said:

It helps to have the media covering for you.

Just covering? Wasn't it something like 99% against Orange Man Bad and 99% for Sleepy Joe?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, rmgill said:

Explain. What is Biden fixing? How is he fixing it? Instead of stupid platitudes we expect out of 6 years olds, explain what policy is being implemented to fix a specific problem and how it does so. 

President Biden & Vice President Harris the border czar are doing a great job on illegal immigration.

And once the rainbow powered green energy comes on line it will be "The Age of Aquarius" . There will be a wind / solar powered unicorn in every garage!

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I like bashing lefty fruit loops and interventionists like the next guy, but I just don't see that the current US administratrion actually did anything to spark the new exchange of hostilities. I think you give the importance of the US in the Middle East too much credit. Hamas does what it wants, when Iran supports them.

I think the Palestinians seriously misread the situation but with a lot diplomatic maneuvering, including hundreds of millions of dollars of released funds to the Palestinians and Iran I think its reasonable to suggest that the thaw in relations with the US after four years of the back of the hand from Trump gave them some hope they could get back to the old days of rocket strikes and targeting with plenty of misery for the average Palestinians but lots of increased grift for the leadership.  With what little we know right now it seems plausible that once the leadership opened the valve the hate and resentment got the better of them and they attacked in a way more significant way than they might have wished.  I suspect that they are going to get curb stomped by the Israelis with little concrete opposition from their Arab brothers who are frankly sick of their sh*t at this point.

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I like bashing lefty fruit loops and interventionists like the next guy, but I just don't see that the current US administratrion actually did anything to spark the new exchange of hostilities. I think you give the importance of the US in the Middle East too much credit. Hamas does what it wants, when Iran supports them.

Turning the Cash Taps back on doesn't count? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/08/joe-biden-restores-us-aid-palestinians-donald-trump

Also, it was pretty well predictable that the Biden Admin would be soft on bombing Israel and hard on bombing the Pals. 

Also, given that this is 75% Iranian Proxy War on the Israelis, the friendly noises he was whispering in the Ayatolla's ear while slipping money in his tunic didn't help either. 

Edited by rmgill

Mike Rowe: "The Will Gap?

Twelve years ago, when I launched mikeroweWORKS, our country was in a recession and unemployment was at record highs. Headlines everywhere talked about a lack of opportunity. However, during my travels around the country while filming Dirty Jobs, I saw “Help Wanted” signs everywhere I went. Even with unemployment through the roof, the problem was not a lack of opportunity, but rather, a lack of skilled workers.

That was the main reason I started mikeroweWORKS. I wanted to challenge the myths and misperceptions that kept people from pursuing a career in the skilled trades. Specifically, I wanted to highlight skilled jobs that paid a better-than-average wage and didn’t require a four-year degree. Also, I wanted to assist people who demonstrated a strong work ethic, an understanding of delayed gratification, a positive attitude, and a sense of personal responsibility. So far, we’ve assisted over a thousand such people with over $5 million in work ethic scholarships, but the skills gap, obviously, is still with us. And so too, is another gap worth discussing. Let’s call it, “The Will Gap.”

The Will Gap is reflected by the number of able-bodied people who could work, but choose not to. Don’t bother googling The Will Gap – I just made it up. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics has no official data to share, but if they did, I’d wager The Will Gap would be at an all-time high. When a jobs report misses projections by 800,000, how could it be otherwise?

The question is why, and the answer is so screamingly obvious I hesitate to point it out, lest I insult the many smarter-than-average souls who loiter on this page. So, I’ll let Charles Cooke do it, who has penned a simple analysis of what happens when the government pays people not to work. The attached article pulls no punches, and Cooke, as always, says it better than I could. Here’s a taste...

“In part, the problem is political. Inexplicably, the federal government has decided to hand out a seemingly endless supply of no-strings-attached “stimulus” checks and massively enhanced unemployment benefits to Americans no longer in need of either, and then affect surprise when those people choose to sit at home. For a brief period during the pandemic, it made sense to encourage people to stay at home. Now, though, it most certainly does not. Now, we should be repeating the magical five words that have done so much to build this country into what it is: “Go and get a job.”

Last month, Dirty Jobs filmed in a shipyard in Alabama, where I had the privilege to help weld a tugboat together. It was hard work, and dangerous, and the men who did the job were both very skilled and very tough. At one point, I asked the owner how many aspiring welders he could hire tomorrow, if they showed up willing to work.

“Seventy,” he said, without hesitating. “I could hire seventy novices immediately, and I could train them at $15 an hour.” “So, what’s the problem,” I asked. “Nobody wants to work?” “It’s not just that,” he said. “The problem right now is, nobody HAS to work. Millions of people are getting paid the same wage to sit home. Or something close to it. I just can’t compete with that.”:(

I don’t build tugboats for a living, but I can tell you this – it’s hard to run a foundation that rewards work ethic, when the government seems determined to discourage it. And that’s the essential problem. Offer a guy $600 a week to learn a trade, or $500 to sit at home, and you can’t be surprised when he sits at home. He’s not being lazy – he’s being rational. We are wired – all of us – to act in our own self-interest. But let’s not keep blaming a “lack of opportunity” for what’s happening in our country. Opportunity is alive and well. It’s literally everywhere. According to the BLS – 8.1 million jobs currently open, with fewer than 300,000 filled last month.

What we need, desperately, are policies that encourage people to pursue the opportunities that are waiting. Tugboats, after all, don’t build themselves."

The local Applebee's restaurant has had to close its dining room and do take-out only, because of the lack of server staff. Rather astounding, as it is the only national restaurant chain in town and doesn't have any real competition.

Of course there is a back story, in that the owner & manager are purportedly less than ideal. But the $10/hr or whatever equivalent people are getting from unemployment, plus protection against eviction, ain't helping.

There are signs of economic spring, however. A few new small independent businesses here and there.

I thought that Trump was the Putin toady;

https://www.axios.com/nord-stream-sanction-biden-russia-f6db2ae3-2c89-4343-b326-9f399d674077.html

The Biden administration will waive sanctions on the corporate entity and CEO overseeing the construction of Russia’s Nord Stream 2 pipeline into Germany, according to two sources briefed on the decision.

Why it matters: The decision indicates the Biden administration is not willing to compromise its relationship with Germany over this pipeline, and it underscores the difficulties President Biden faces in matching actions to rhetoric on a tougher approach to Russia.

Since the project will likely die under the next German government that's generally expected to include or even be led by the much-strengthened Greens, leaving it alone is actually the smart move. Going for sanctions of rather dubious international legality against an ally again would rekindle national resentment against the bully Amis who want to sell us their evil fracking gas instead. Which would make it hard for any government to give in, not to speak of the general strain on mutual relations. As it is, the next one might be so serious about importing fossil fuel from Russia being a bad idea that they will tell Biden to do something against the US being probably the biggest global importer of Russian crude oil in return. 

https://nypost.com/2021/05/21/what-does-vladimir-putin-have-on-joe-biden/

It was Obama who spent two years trying to kill the Magnitsky Act. It was Obama who allowed Russia to operate with impunity in Syria to protect the prospects of the Iran deal. It was Joe Biden, not Comrade Trump, who championed the “reset” and capitulated to Russia on accession to the World Trade Organization.

“President Obama has made Russia’s WTO membership a top priority for US-Russia relations in 2011,” the White House explained.

All of this was forgotten when the media decided that American democracy had been stolen by a smattering of Facebook ads and some Twitter bots. As this went on, the Trump administration opened up the sale of lethal weapons to Ukraine — including anti-tank missiles. It was President Donald Trump who reinstated sales of Patriot missile-defense systems to Eastern Europe and continued to impose sanctions and other measures. It was Trump who refused to extend a one-sided arms-control agreement. Biden is now seeking a five-year extension.

It is also difficult not to notice that news of the waivers comes only a week after a cyberattack emanating from Russia shut down the massive Colonial Pipeline, resulting in shortages and gas lines in the eastern United States — for which Biden gave Putin absolution before any major investigation could possibly have been conducted. This is also the same president who shut down the construction of our own Keystone XL Pipeline, costing thousands of jobs.

When the low-IQ types were squalling about Trump being Putin's you-know-what, the smart move was to assume the opposite. And to expect eventual evidence that the accusations that the Dems threw at an R turned out to be what the Dems were doing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beyond-reprehensible-gop-rep-peter-191748682.html

During an appearance on  last Thursday, Greene likened the House mask policy to the Holocaust.

"You know, we can look back at a time in history when people were told to wear a gold star, and they were definitely treated like second-class citizens, so much so that they were put in trains and taken to gas chambers in Nazi Germany," she said. "And this is exactly the type of abuse that [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi is talking about."

Jewish organizations immediately Greene's comments.

"You can never compare health-related restrictions with yellow stars, gas chambers & other Nazi atrocities," the American Jewish Congress tweeted. "Such comparisons demean the Holocaust & contaminate American political speech."

12 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beyond-reprehensible-gop-rep-peter-191748682.html

During an appearance on  last Thursday, Greene likened the House mask policy to the Holocaust.

"You know, we can look back at a time in history when people were told to wear a gold star, and they were definitely treated like second-class citizens, so much so that they were put in trains and taken to gas chambers in Nazi Germany," she said. "And this is exactly the type of abuse that [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi is talking about."

Jewish organizations immediately Greene's comments.

"You can never compare health-related restrictions with yellow stars, gas chambers & other Nazi atrocities," the American Jewish Congress tweeted. "Such comparisons demean the Holocaust & contaminate American political speech."

I too believe Greene is wrong. Shaming people into wearing the face mask, in my opinion, is more akin to wearing a Nazi armband to show fealty to The Party  

For four years anything that Trump and the republicans did was branded as fascist, nazi, rascismus, proof of dictatorship etc on an almost daily basis. Greene has just taken a page from that playbook and is using it against the authors.

35 minutes ago, TonyE said:

For four years anything that Trump and the republicans did was branded as fascist, nazi, rascismus, proof of dictatorship etc on an almost daily basis. Greene has just taken a page from that playbook and is using it against the authors.

I would tend to agree.  I am still undecided about her but this to me smacks of just taking the most effective tactics of the opposition and using them as well.

59 minutes ago, nitflegal said:

I would tend to agree.  I am still undecided about her but this to me smacks of just taking the most effective tactics of the opposition and using them as well.

I hope you're right, but I fear she is either the proverbial bull in the proverbial porcelain shop, or she is a Dem operative giving the Dems soundbites.