Because Biden

nitflegal

4 hours ago, glenn239 said:

I think a better idea would be to use the US Navy to dump in the EU every last single illegal immigrant crossing the US border.

Way too expensive. I suggest building a pneumatic tunnel from North America to Europe, a la Futurama.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt if Biden is going to go down as a great or maybe even good American president.  I think I can honestly say he will probably go down as a great Democrat president.  What I mean with that is that from a patronage perspective he has probably done more to reward his base with single minded focus than any president I can think of in my lifetime.  After years of hearing Republicans smugly talking about the coming explosion of Democrat states (pensions, immigration, etc) he signed a 2 trillion dollar wishlist that made those programs solvent for at least a decade or more.  He has empowered teachers' and other unions, rewarded his mega-rich donors, his DOJ is actively destroying his opposition to the point of making them legal terrorists while promoting and protecting rioters on his side that are responsible for dozens of deaths and billions in damages, etc.  If he is a figure head, I suspect conservatives would sweat blood to get a figurehead that would do for their desires even half as much.  It may end up being terrible for the country but for a partisan Democrat he is doing great work for them.

27 minutes ago, rmgill said:

I am wondering if the visit with the Carter's was prescient for how his administration is going to go.

The media, Hollywood and academia will make sure Biden's presidency is remembered as a super-moderate time of healing, bringing the nation back from the edge of destruction.

But Carter's presidency is growing on me.  His policies were crap, but unlike modern progressives, 1970s Carter didn't hate his country, nor did he want to fundamentally transform it.

Compared to modern progressives (and A LOT of republicans), I'd take 1970s carter in a heartbeat.

This would be unthinkable from the modern democrat party (and most republicans would be too cowardly to do this): https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/jimmy-carter-more-conservative-administration-than-history-remembers/

Edited by Mikel2

What they want to do is the same. What their motivations or justifications are, those are different. 

1970's America was still American, in a bipolar world of limited mass invasion, errr immigration.  That inherently limits the potential fuckery to be inflicted upon the American people.  S/F....Ken M

12 hours ago, nitflegal said:

I doubt if Biden is going to go down as a great or maybe even good American president.  I think I can honestly say he will probably go down as a great Democrat president.  What I mean with that is that from a patronage perspective he has probably done more to reward his base with single minded focus than any president I can think of in my lifetime.  After years of hearing Republicans smugly talking about the coming explosion of Democrat states (pensions, immigration, etc) he signed a 2 trillion dollar wishlist that made those programs solvent for at least a decade or more.  He has empowered teachers' and other unions, rewarded his mega-rich donors, his DOJ is actively destroying his opposition to the point of making them legal terrorists while promoting and protecting rioters on his side that are responsible for dozens of deaths and billions in damages, etc.  If he is a figure head, I suspect conservatives would sweat blood to get a figurehead that would do for their desires even half as much.  It may end up being terrible for the country but for a partisan Democrat he is doing great work for them.

President Biden is going balls to the walls hard left. I think even the leftist that supported him  are supersized.

I think his handlers figure they have till the midterms to run wild. The Republicans will probably take control of either the house or senate in the midterms... unless DC and/or Puerto Rico become states.

12 hours ago, 17thfabn said:

President Biden is going balls to the walls hard left. I think even the leftist that supported him  are supersized.

I think his handlers figure they have till the midterms to run wild. The Republicans will probably take control of either the house or senate in the midterms... unless DC and/or Puerto Rico become states.

I respect and even admire them for this.  It's a bit of a unique situation with president dementia but how many times have we seen the Republicans slow walk their plans on the excuse that if they move to fast they won't be able to get wonderful stuff done for 4-8 years and then accomplish comparatively little?  It's like Obamacare; they lost big because of it but they permanently tilted the playing field in their favor.  They were in the wilderness for 8-10 years but they have to know eventually they will have a majority again and can move the boundaries again.  It's a very effective and frankly smart play.  

Jobs report not at promised;

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/05/07/biden-bust-unemployment-rate-up-numbers-way-worse-than-expected-inflation-may-be-coming-n1445285

The unemployment was expected to fall to 5.8% and the economy was predicted to add 978,000 jobs, but that didn’t happen despite mass vaccinations and government stimulus…. not by a long shot.

“The numbers are out, and on the top line they are way worse than expected,” reported Bloomberg. “Something seems very off: only 266,000 jobs created in April, and the unemployment rate ticked up to 6.1%, according to the report.”

On a local FB group, small business owners are crying for help, everything from yardwork to truck driving.

And as I predicted, inflation is here. Real inflation, not the cooked numbers presented as the CPI.

Release the 1970s metaphors!

5 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Jobs report not at promised;

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2021/05/07/biden-bust-unemployment-rate-up-numbers-way-worse-than-expected-inflation-may-be-coming-n1445285

On a local FB group, small business owners are crying for help, everything from yardwork to truck driving.

And as I predicted, inflation is here. Real inflation, not the cooked numbers presented as the CPI.

Release the 1970s metaphors!

I think the term they're using is "transient hyper-inflation."

On the jobs front, two note.  One, businesses in my neck of the woods that offer entry / low level positions are offering signing bonuses such is the dearth of willing labor.  2nd note.  Less than a week ago Biden was bragging about how he and his administration were putting people back to work.  Today when questioned about the horribly disappointing employment numbers, Trump's fault.

I don't think the leftist side of the spectrum would think Newsweek satirical.  Newsweek reporting reached the same conclusion, paying people not to work has a negative impact on employment numbers.

"The disappointing jobs report makes it clear that paying people not to work is dampening what should be a stronger jobs market," Neil Bradley, the chamber's executive vice president and chief policy officer, said in a Friday statement.

https://www.newsweek.com/weak-job-numbers-result-paying-people-not-work-us-chamber-commerce-says-1589685

Edited by DKTanker

14 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

“The numbers are out, and on the top line they are way worse than expected,” reported Bloomberg.

This has everything to do with the predictions of the con men and bullshit artists in the economy field, and gullible fools that trust these "expert opinions" more than their own understanding of how an economy works.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

This has everything to do with the predictions of the con men and bullshit artists in the economy field, and gullible fools that trust these "expert opinions" more than their own understanding of how an economy works.

Before one earns a degree in economics, they first must have successfully ran a business for at least a few years. 

14 hours ago, DKTanker said:

I think the term they're using is "transient hyper-inflation."

On the jobs front, two note.  One, businesses in my neck of the woods that offer entry / low level positions are offering signing bonuses such is the dearth of willing labor.  2nd note.  Less than a week ago Biden was bragging about how he and his administration were putting people back to work.  Today when questioned about the horribly disappointing employment numbers, Trump's fault.

We currently have multiple positions open for research technicians starting at $21-23 an hour.  We're having a hell of a time filling them (no experience required, will train) and we have had multiple people ask if they could hold the job until the fall when the unemployment benefits run out.  Financially it may be the smart decision but it illustrates that there are both real world effects of these policies and that we as taxpayers are paying for people to refuse full time positions (or more correctly, we will be paying for the costs and the interest on those for multiple years).  

7 minutes ago, nitflegal said:

We currently have multiple positions open for research technicians starting at $21-23 an hour.  We're having a hell of a time filling them (no experience required, will train) and we have had multiple people ask if they could hold the job until the fall when the unemployment benefits run out.  Financially it may be the smart decision but it illustrates that there are both real world effects of these policies and that we as taxpayers are paying for people to refuse full time positions (or more correctly, we will be paying for the costs and the interest on those for multiple years).  

Well, the feds have been paying farmers not to plant and to destroy crops for many years. Why would this be any different (or less disastrous?)

15 hours ago, Skywalkre said:

Umm... that's a satire site...

Have you been out of your house and talked to folks who run businesses? Lots of places are trying to hire but the willing to work workforce is lacking. 

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Before one earns a degree in economics, they first must have successfully ran a business for at least a few years. 

1 hour ago, rmgill said:

Have you been out of your house and talked to folks who run businesses? Lots of places are trying to hire but the willing to work workforce is lacking. 

My brother works at Michelin star restaurants in Vegas.  They are having similar problems.  The good news is that they are increasing wages for front of house staff to get people in but this is steering them towards more experienced and older people, cutting out the entry level jobs for newbies.  More interestingly, they are mechanizing the f*ck out of the back of the house to bring operating costs down.  It's the usual story where some people get better wages and a bunch of people become unemployed.  Mark my words, we will see unemployment benefits extended past the fall because of all the people who can't find jobs at wages they will accept.

I can tell you we are very seriously looking at increased automation in my own R&D world.  If we can't get workers we will need to invest in mechanization pretty heavily across our site.  Which means that whenever the unemployment benefits do run out I will have a much tighter workstaff and those R&D entry level jobs simply won't be available next year or the year after or the year after.   Once you've restructured your SOP's for automation you aren't going back.

On the pharma side with their profits from their drugs they can move a lot faster as well to do this.  Which means the market for BS and MS employees, especially new grads, is going to plummet.  I expect to see a lot of accelerated lobbying to get foreign Ph.D's in on work visas instead of US/European ones.  One thing that didn't get much reportage during the Trump administration is that the restrictions on foreign educated labor, particularly from China, drove a whole lot of jobs to new US grads and also allowed people to get competitive salaries to come into the field.  Those were reopened in January and the market is much worse for US grads right now.  A lot of them are freaking out about what happens after graduation.