Cyberpunk 2077

Daan

1 hour ago, Brian Kennedy said:

... (did you get to Fallout 4's USS Constitution with the robot crew?)

One of those examples that Bethesda can, but generally don't want to make good stories.

As for F1/2 vs 3/4 this guy puts it way better than I will ever did:

Another problem with F3/4 is that I have played it just after reviving interest in Stalker and Metro 2033 (Fallout for grown man as someone noted :) ), and as whole post-apocalypse genre it compared quite poorly.

If you really want to pick bones with Fallout... How many years have passes since the war yet people still live in the houses w/o roof, with cracked walls and with overturned and burned furniture? :D There is "suspension of disbelief" and there is Bethesda level... This is far less prevalent in New Vegas or even F2.

Regarding Baldur's Gate... I really, really liked that one but it does not compare that well to Planscape. Well, KOTOR2 is a contender, but overall I liked Planescape better. Maybe original Deus Ex also... but I have not played that one for an ages so maybe it is just a nostalgic goggles talking.

There are basically 3 types of games I like:

- outstanding story - everything else can be crap, I will still consider it good. Planescape and KOTOR 2 are examples. Both were buggy as hell, with shitloads of cut content, but those stories and the way they were told... :)

- outstanding world atmosphere - Stalker. It is a bugged piece of crapware, coded on surplus Soviet-era mainframes, graphics were not the best even when it appeared, story is so-so (decent at moments, bad at other)... but game is genius level of the well built world atmosphere*. F1/2 would fall here also, through F2 is actually more rounded than just "atmosphere" level.

- well balanced game with good story, good graphics etc. Witcher 3 would be example, or Baldur's Gate before that.

*Recently saw a billboard of the company named "Agroprom" locally and I swear that hairs on my arms stood up. That level of atmosphere. Something no horror game has ever since managed to do.

Edited by bojan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Harold Jones said:

It has the potential to be witcher 3 in the future but it will take several patches and some DLC to live up to the potential....

Ah, so the saying "Don't buy a game in the 1st year of release unless you want to be a bug tester" is as true as ever :)

Edited by bojan

50 minutes ago, bojan said:

Ah, so the saying "Don't buy a game in the 1st year of release unless you want to be a bug tester" is as true as ever :)

Pretty much, I think Outer Worlds was one of the rare exceptions.  I was actually surprised to learn that 2077 had been in production for 9 years.  It seems even more underwhelming now that I know that.

1 hour ago, Harold Jones said:

Pretty much, I think Outer Worlds was one of the rare exceptions.  I was actually surprised to learn that 2077 had been in production for 9 years.  It seems even more underwhelming now that I know that.

Yeah I agree — I mean I’m only six hours into it but they really screwed up the basic stuff, which I assume would be the first thing they figured out. (Fallout 4 showed some signs of certain sub quests etc not being fleshed out but the gameplay was solid). 

2 hours ago, bojan said:

One of those examples that Bethesda can, but generally don't want to make good stories.

As for F1/2 vs 3/4 this guy puts it way better than I will ever did:

Another problem with F3/4 is that I have played it just after reviving interest in Stalker and Metro 2033 (Fallout for grown man as someone noted :) ), and as whole post-apocalypse genre it compared quite poorly.

If you really want to pick bones with Fallout... How many years have passes since the war yet people still live in the houses w/o roof, with cracked walls and with overturned and burned furniture? :D There is "suspension of disbelief" and there is Bethesda level... This is far less prevalent in New Vegas or even F2.

Regarding Baldur's Gate... I really, really liked that one but it does not compare that well to Planscape. Well, KOTOR2 is a contender, but overall I liked Planescape better. Maybe original Deus Ex also... but I have not played that one for an ages so maybe it is just a nostalgic goggles talking.

There are basically 3 types of games I like:

- outstanding story - everything else can be crap, I will still consider it good. Planescape and KOTOR 2 are examples. Both were buggy as hell, with shitloads of cut content, but those stories and the way they were told... :)

- outstanding world atmosphere - Stalker. It is a bugged piece of crapware, coded on surplus Soviet-era mainframes, graphics were not the best even when it appeared, story is so-so (decent at moments, bad at other)... but game is genius level of the well built world atmosphere*. F1/2 would fall here also, through F2 is actually more rounded than just "atmosphere" level.

- well balanced game with good story, good graphics etc. Witcher 3 would be example, or Baldur's Gate before that.

*Recently saw a billboard of the company named "Agroprom" locally and I swear that hairs on my arms stood up. That level of atmosphere. Something no horror game has ever since managed to do.

Did you try the Dishonored series? Probably my favorite in terms of good story, good gameplay etc. 

Heard it was good but had no time to play it. Heard also good things about Tyranny, but also did not find a time to play... Oh well, in about 10 years :)

So far the worst bug I've hit was that my pants disappeared when I changed them out for a pair with better stats.  Every time I pulled up the inventory screen my character was naked from the waist down. It turns out that V prefers to go commando.  Thankfully my pants were back the next time I launched the game.  

Fallout 3 seemed to be much less morally ambiguous regarding the main quest paths compared to both New Vegas and Fallout 4. In fact, Fallout 4 doesn't seem to have a "paladin" route through it -whatever you do, your armour is going to be splattered with the wrong kind of blood at some point.

I just played through New Vegas and liked some of it and was annoyed with some parts. One thing that's annoying is that you can't really tell what your actions will have effect on, which somehow is realistic, but at some times it's not. "You can't do this since you drank a cup of tea with someone in a dark room and now the whole world knows" sort of thing.

/R

9 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

It's pretty good. There is some superb sideplot writing. Really, really good stuff. There is an intentional retro vibe.

It is for me by far the best game of 2020. Nothing even comes close.

I have been mainly playing the side jobs and gigs and have also been enjoying these. In FO4 and Skyrim the side quests were mainly of 2 types: 1. go to location X and kill everyone, 2. go to location X, kill everyone and bring item Y back. Although not necessarily very long, the side jobs in Cyperpunk are of a wider variety with a bit more storytelling, which is nice. As said before, the combat system is less hack and slash and more a Dishonered type of stealth crawling through the dangerous zones.

15 hours ago, Rickard N said:

I just played through New Vegas and liked some of it and was annoyed with some parts. One thing that's annoying is that you can't really tell what your actions will have effect on, which somehow is realistic, but at some times it's not. "You can't do this since you drank a cup of tea with someone in a dark room and now the whole world knows" sort of thing.

/R

What kind of character did you make?  Last play I had a character who specialized in stealth, explosives and speech 

19 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

Mostly, the field for me  is KO beforehand using hacking. A straight shooter or god forbid melee build is going to be very, very challenging. 

I'm not super far in, just hit level 9 but so far running around shooting people hasn't been to much of a pain.  I avoid the top level side jobs but otherwise the Nelson approach seems to work.

Edited by Harold Jones

Currently at level 8, playing on hard difficulty. Normal enemies are generally not much of a problem, but yesterday I encountered a cyberpsycho in side job that I was utterly unable to handle with my character. A screaming female in a warehouse with mantis blades that moved super quickly and that I could not hack. I tried several different approaches, but I had to leave the warehouse and come back for another day.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:39 AM, Stargrunt6 said:

What kind of character did you make?  Last play I had a character who specialized in stealth, explosives and speech 

I often find myself in something stealth-snipy sort of thing, somehow it feels as if the engine supports that best.

/R

I really love the game. t's not the cleanest release, sure, but it's got style and substance. I don't know any open world game that's had a clean release, but I'm pretty far into the game now and I haven't had any game breaking bugs or performance issues, just some minor glitchy stuff. I can see the ambition CDPR had any sometimes I notice where they fell short, but to be honest it doesn't bother me. 

I also love that the game is like an alternate timeline of the 1980s - like the worst fears of the Reagan era realized. This world fits in with the Blade Runner and Robocop and Predator 2 vibes pretty comfortably. It's much more appealing to me than a version of our own future. 

13 hours ago, Brian Kennedy said:

Still playing it but 1) every time I get on a motorcycle my character goes bald and 2) all the drop box locations are labeled DEVILERY (sic). This game is so half baked....

I have experienced similar minor glitches: my character getting stuck, enemies getting stuck sunken up their knees into floor, character without visible pants on, cars disappearing in front of you etc., but nothing game breaking and no CTDs. As a precaution I save the game often with multiple save slots. I am still in awe of the art design and the minute detail of the buildings, rooms and especially the physical exterior of the NPCs and robots. The diversity of the side quests also appeals to me and the way some of them are connected to the main story with Mr. Silverhand suddenly appearing and commenting on the quest.