Sardaukar

No..it's actually bit more complicated now... 👹

It is massive.

You might like my AARs:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4542674

and current one:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4818873

This game made me buy about dozen books about Pacific War...

Edited by Sardaukar

• 7 months later...

Hi Sardaukar, I'm glad to see this post of yours, as I recently decided to resume playing this suspended life experience. I see the increases in complexity of the JA side, but also I'm finding some of the US procedures  somewhat new. 

Just to try out, I was intrigued by the possibility of saving Wake Island. So I opened the game with no JA surprise at PH, allowing most ships in port to survive. I sent both Lex and Ent CV TFs to Wake and sent one of two PH surface combat TFs [ with the two Californias] there, but the other BB/CA TF I sent against a Catalina patrol sighting of the IJN found ENE of PH, only to have it flee back to PH on contact [??]!!  

Nagumo managed to get to Wake just after the two CV TFs had damaged [but not destroyed!] the Surface TF from the Marshalls, leaving the JA  troops ashore to expire. But then began the slaughter! There had been bad weather all across the Central Pacific and contact was fleeting, but not fore the IJN! Two dive bomber squadrons from Lex turned back in the weather and did not press home, but Nagumo's gang did. Ent is sunk, Lex is 50% along with several CAs and some DDs sunk. They may never make it back to PH, but maybe Nagumo needs to continue westward. 

So, it's back to reading the encyclopedic rules and preparing for a new start in a full struggle of the widespread Allied forces. 

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Ken Estes said:

Hi Sardaukar, I'm glad to see this post of yours, as I recently decided to resume playing this suspended life experience. I see the increases in complexity of the JA side, but also I'm finding some of the US procedures  somewhat new. 

Just to try out, I was intrigued by the possibility of saving Wake Island. So I opened the game with no JA surprise at PH, allowing most ships in port to survive. I sent both Lex and Ent CV TFs to Wake and sent one of two PH surface combat TFs [ with the two Californias] there, but the other BB/CA TF I sent against a Catalina patrol sighting of the IJN found ENE of PH, only to have it flee back to PH on contact [??]!!  

Nagumo managed to get to Wake just after the two CV TFs had damaged [but not destroyed!] the Surface TF from the Marshalls, leaving the JA  troops ashore to expire. But then began the slaughter! There had been bad weather all across the Central Pacific and contact was fleeting, but not fore the IJN! Two dive bomber squadrons from Lex turned back in the weather and did not press home, but Nagumo's gang did. Ent is sunk, Lex is 50% along with several CAs and some DDs sunk. They may never make it back to PH, but maybe Nagumo needs to continue westward. 

So, it's back to reading the encyclopedic rules and preparing for a new start in a full struggle of the widespread Allied forces. 

Cheers!

Glad you decided to resume AE :)

When it comes to Wake I., in my previous campaign, I managed to keep it, but it was more of a burden than asset. Difficult to supply and as partially isolated outpost, prone to surprise visit by IJN CVs etc. 

One bit easier to keep that IJ AI tries to get is Canton I., at least that is useful giving more security to West Coast USA - Australia/NZ supply lines.

My current Grand Campaign AAR is here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4977360

32 minutes ago, Sardaukar said:

Glad you decided to resume AE :)

When it comes to Wake I., in my previous campaign, I managed to keep it, but it was more of a burden than asset. Difficult to supply and as partially isolated outpost, prone to surprise visit by IJN CVs etc. 

One bit easier to keep that IJ AI tries to get is Canton I., at least that is useful giving more security to West Coast USA - Australia/NZ supply lines.

My current Grand Campaign AAR is here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4977360

So a glimpse at the link makes me think that game is a tad more complex than Avalon Hill's "Victory in the Pacific B)

6 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

It is. I managed to master the same authors War in the East enough to win as the Germans. This I found monumentally incomprehensible.

You might consider War in the East 2. I was one of the beta testers and it's very good game. Lot of things (air operations and logistics) can be automated, thus saving lot of micromanagement. 

WitP-AE doesn't have learning curve...it has learning cliff...😁

10 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Yeah, I figured you were either Admiral Yamamoto or Nimitz and could play it, or you werent.  :D

Yeah, thats the aim, ill wait till its on steam first though.

If you buy from Matrix Games, you'll get Steam key for free from them when it is released on Steam.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
22 minutes ago, Skywalkre said:

From previous comments in this thread it sounds like it's a bit of a monumental task to get into/figure out how to play this game?

It is.

It is probably one of the "monster wargames", but it has large following and great community. 

As when it comes to complexity, it is second to none. But it is very playable after suffering "introductionary cliff".

It relatively easy to play if you already know military matters. It is really difficult to master.  At least from Allied side. On Japanese side it is a different game and here things start complicated from start.

In Japanese side you  have industry to manage, how many A6M2 you want for next 5 months? factories need to be expanded, production changed from obsolete aircraft and engines need to increase production, engine and planes need to be stopped if your stocks are good enough to preserve supply to build more advanced airframes and engines later. Accelerate carrier construction? accelerate submarine construction? stop Shinano?    

The whole transport system of bringing resources from Kuriles,  Borneo, South East Indias to Japan if not your factories and refineries stop.

Plus start developing future airframes earlier and respective engines.

On Japanese side it is quite easy to get distracted by production issues and lose a bit the combat strategy side and go only tactical.

Edited by lucklucky

10 hours ago, DB said:

Is this the game that Ken Estes did an extended series of AAR posts on from his own playthroughs?

Yes.