Foreign candidates for the US Army's towed howitzer replacement effort

Dawes

Value of manpower is still significant, since ATM army lacks probably about 1/3 of manpower required. Which is why army is insisting on developing MGS-25, with it's 3 crew vs 5 for NORA for active units and wants to reduce number of 2S1s by moving some of those to reserves.

Edited by bojan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No conscription, some small amount filled by volunteers (IIRC something like 1500 per year), rest professionals. Ofc, most professionals find civilian sector to be more profitable after few years, especially in rear area service roles (more profitable to drive a truck as civilian than in military), hence the lack of personal.

There are talks about returning conscription, but that is basically a political suicide, so I don't see it happening unless personal situation becomes really dire.

Edited by bojan

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to the velocity of the artillery projectile the movement of the platform and gun is small (just think of setback and oscillation when firing a stationary vehicle). It hasn't been done in the past to reduce system complexity and (probably) also because the gun barrels were heavily imbalanced. With a short barrel I see no reason why it shouldn't work "in principle", and you'd simply block the firing circuit until the gun is close enough to the desired reference position.

Whether it's worth it, I suppose it lies in the eyes of the beholder/potential customer.