Foreign candidates for the US Army's towed howitzer replacement effort

Dawes

Look at the bright side - at least you did not go Belgian way and have kept institutional knowledge (so far)...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, Simon Tan said:

Belgium is just a large suburb of Brussels.

I thought 1/3 of that country (French Wallonia) has a hard time communicating w/ 2/3 of the country (Dutch speaking Flanders).  W/ Brussels being a Francophone city in the middle of the Dutch speaking region?

Mad Mikec

13 hours ago, Mad Mike said:

I thought 1/3 of that country (French Wallonia) has a hard time communicating w/ 2/3 of the country (Dutch speaking Flanders).  W/ Brussels being a Francophone city in the middle of the Dutch speaking region?

Mad Mikec

Hahaha, if you ask directions in Wallonia in Dutch they pretend that they don't understand you. When you say an insult after that they understand it surprisingly well 😜

16 hours ago, rohala said:

For an officially bilingual country it is shocking how many Belgians don't speak the other language. Or English. Particularly the francophones. 

French speakers in general barely speak English, they speak something that sounds lihe French when it goes through a meatgrinder (although I haven't met a Quebecois yet)

"...sez ze guy from Spein", sez ze German.

Let's face it, most people aren't very good at speaking multiple languages in a fluent and comparatively accent-free manner. I'm still not happy with the quality of my English although I'm probably somewhere in the 1% quartile of Germans, and let's not even talk about my ability to speak and understand Dutch, Danish, French, Spanish. Yes, yes, tiny bits here and there but could I negotiate a contract? hold up in a dinner conversation? No way.

So, two languages it is for me. The next question for people in Belgium is, what's more important as a secondary language, what the other half of the country is speaking (giving you access to France or the Netherlands, respectively), or English (giving you access to half of the world)?

Where would you, as a Belgian parent, lay the emphasis for your children?

Catalan Separatists use Catalan a tool of "national" affirmation. I wonder if the same happens in Belgium, i.e., the language is not used as means to communicate with your fellow humans, but as a barrier against "them".

32 minutes ago, sunday said:

Catalan Separatists use Catalan a tool of "national" affirmation. I wonder if the same happens in Belgium, i.e., the language is not used as means to communicate with your fellow humans, but as a barrier against "them".

Probably this. The Basque nationalist do the same, using Euskera as a entry barrier for public service so the local parents rather have to chose a little known, little used language over English or else refuse their children some of their options.

Sez el espanyol... :D

1 hour ago, RETAC21 said:

Probably this. The Basque nationalist do the same, using Euskera as a entry barrier for public service so the local parents rather have to chose a little known, little used language over English or else refuse their children some of their options.

Sez el espanyol... :D

There is another, more sinister, aspect to the use of minority languages in Spain. Forcing Catalan as the language of learning in state, and semi-state, schools. So kids whose parent's language is Spanish are at a disadvantage.

OTH, the children of the Catalan and Basque elites go to fully private schools were Catalan is just another language.

Meh, our cultural elite thinks mostly in English and insist it should be the language of the education, because it is cool and all the REAL culture is made in English, not with some backwards Uralic hicks language like Finnish...

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

"...sez ze guy from Spein", sez ze German.

Let's face it, most people aren't very good at speaking multiple languages in a fluent and comparatively accent-free manner. I'm still not happy with the quality of my English although I'm probably somewhere in the 1% quartile of Germans, and let's not even talk about my ability to speak and understand Dutch, Danish, French, Spanish. Yes, yes, tiny bits here and there but could I negotiate a contract? hold up in a dinner conversation? No way.

So, two languages it is for me. The next question for people in Belgium is, what's more important as a secondary language, what the other half of the country is speaking (giving you access to France or the Netherlands, respectively), or English (giving you access to half of the world)?

Where would you, as a Belgian parent, lay the emphasis for your children?

I was in Switzerland for two weeks during my military service to play computer gam... eeehhh.... train in simulators. I met  a few Swiss people there that had English as their fourth or fifth language and they were WAY better at English than me (it's my second language). My third language, German, is sooo poor that friends to my wife from Austria stopped talking German with me when I tried to use it :D

/R

Well, perhaps we should protect English by returning to the good old 5 inch gun.  In actuality, I think there's a lot to be gained by going to 5inch/54 or 62, ideally rechambered to use 155mm MACS and use USN guided rounds.  You're looking at at least 30% weight savings just in ammunition weight, and that 122-130mm window seems to be a good place to be.  S/F....Ken M 

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, Burncycle360 said:

Every time I see an Ontos I wonder what it would look like with six Davy Crocketts...

I had to chuckle at that..

On 1/7/2021 at 2:55 PM, rohala said:

For an officially bilingual country it is shocking how many Belgians don't speak the other language. Or English. Particularly the francophones. 

I've heard the retort is a very tart, "I don't speak flams!"

On 1/8/2021 at 4:00 AM, RETAC21 said:

French speakers in general barely speak English, they speak something that sounds lihe French when it goes through a meatgrinder (although I haven't met a Quebecois yet)

That's what Canadian French sounds like. Its sounds like a German speaking French, with lots of spit and saliva gutterally flying out.

• 4 weeks later...

Canada's 80 or so remaining towed 105mm will likely self-divest themselves by the end of this decade, leaving Canada with some old 81mm mortars and 36 or so functioning 155mm towed M777. A sad state of affairs.

• 2 months later...