Days You Don't Need

BansheeOne

Just had a prostate operation (TURP). They recovered all of 20 grams.

Original complaint:
- frequent need to urinate, particularly at night (ca. 30 to 60 minute intervals);
- time between need to urinate and urinating very short;
- pills originally prescribed  did not work

Diagnosis:
- prostate swollen, causing the entry of urine from the bladder to the urinary canal to be hampered.
- a surgical procedure would alleviate the swelling, and enabling mostly normal urine routine.

Result to date (1 week after operation):
- frequent need to urinate, particularly at night (now ca. 5 to 10 minute intervals);😧
- time between need to urinate and urinating extremely short. I normally do not reach the WC on time, and have urine loss.

Saw the operating urologist today. He prescribed pills that cause the bladder to relax and not panic every time it gets and wants to expel every a little bit of urine in it. Plus pads to tape into my underwear in case I don't make it to the nearest WC. Says symptoms will recede in 2—6 months (!).

It's a good thing I am in lockdown owing to CODIV-19, so I won't miss going out.

Your humid troglodyte
Leo

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTDT, Leo.  Not long after the operation, my prostate closed off and would permit no passage.  Most uncomfortable hours I ever spent waiting for the office to open so the doc could insert a catheter.  He was nice enough to give me one of my own so that I could self-insert and relieve that way if necessary (fortunately only once).  

Everything calmed down for a while, but I am just about back where I was before, and I am somewhat reluctant to go through it all again.  Heckuva fix to be in.  

@Leo Niehorster  I hope and I pray that you will function like normal eventually. 

I had a cystoscopy to remove a uretral stent a few weeks ago, no anesthesia not even a tab of xanax.  That was misery and about 0.00001% as bad as what you are going through.

Edited by Stargrunt6

3 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Holy crap!

The next European I&I better have an orthopaedist on speed dial.

It is one of those "every 10 years I have to fuck up something about bones": 10 or 11 - hairline fracture of the collar bone, 20 - broken rib, 30 - broken arm, 41 - dislocated shoulder. So I am at ease for the ~ next 10 years. :)

Edited by bojan

4 hours ago, bojan said:

Banshee, it is clearly infectious. :D

I have dislocated shoulder today. Luckily no breaks and doctor has set it back, so now I "only" have to rest for about 3 weeks and then go to physical therapy. :(

Dear 2020,

F*ck you.

Regards,

All of us at Tank-net.org

Edited by Stargrunt6

I  received call from a  Registered nurse where my wife is is residing, about a hour ago, to say that my wife has been charted for 1ml of oral morphine twice a day for pain.  I expect, unless others can reassure me, that the end result is not so far away.  1ml Twice a day is not so much, is it?  She has been so well, working with me with exercises that she can do in bed, and word puzzles and the like....  I will visit tomorrow and take one of our cats to see her on Friday....  but I am still a bit disturbed / perturbed.

@sunday
Greetings! No, it was benign.

@Stargrunt6
Thank you. Thankfully, I had a full anesthesia. I don't want to start on all my past operations, let along infections, etc. (And I also did spend some 30 years in "third world" countries.)

@Steven P Allen
Yeah. I hear you. The doc said there is a 10% chance it won't work.

@DougRichards
I sincerely feel for you. I truly hope your travail is at an end soon. My aunt —my last living blood relative— just recently passed away. She had been hoping to die for many years, but could not bring herself to do a medically assisted death for moral reasons. To say we were all happy for her when she finally passed away balances our grief at no longer having her with us. At 73, I have lost many relatives and almost all my friends, and the grief at having lost them and the joy of having had them in my life is something I bear with me daily.

4 minutes ago, Leo Niehorster said:

@sunday
Greetings! No, it was benign.

@Stargrunt6
Thank you. Thankfully, I had a full anesthesia. I don't want to start on all my past operations, let along infections, etc. (And I also did spend some 30 years in "third world" countries.)

@Steven P Allen
Yeah. I hear you. The doc said there is a 10% chance it won't work.

@DougRichards
I sincerely feel for you. I truly hope your travail is at an end soon. My aunt —my last living blood relative— just recently passed away. She had been hoping to die for many years, but could not bring herself to do a medically assisted death for moral reasons. To say we were all happy for her when she finally passed away balances our grief at no longer having her with us. At 73, I have lost many relatives and almost all my friends, and the grief at having lost them and the joy of having had them in my life is something I bear with me daily.

Thank you

14 hours ago, Leo Niehorster said:

Just had a prostate operation (TURP). They recovered all of 20 grams.

Original complaint:
- frequent need to urinate, particularly at night (ca. 30 to 60 minute intervals);
- time between need to urinate and urinating very short;
- pills originally prescribed  did not work

Diagnosis:
- prostate swollen, causing the entry of urine from the bladder to the urinary canal to be hampered.
- a surgical procedure would alleviate the swelling, and enabling mostly normal urine routine.

Result to date (1 week after operation):
- frequent need to urinate, particularly at night (now ca. 5 to 10 minute intervals);😧
- time between need to urinate and urinating extremely short. I normally do not reach the WC on time, and have urine loss.

Saw the operating urologist today. He prescribed pills that cause the bladder to relax and not panic every time it gets and wants to expel every a little bit of urine in it. Plus pads to tape into my underwear in case I don't make it to the nearest WC. Says symptoms will recede in 2—6 months (!).

It's a good thing I am in lockdown owing to CODIV-19, so I won't miss going out.

Your humid troglodyte
Leo

Interesting. I may be in for similar in a week or so. The prostate itself is an issue also a psa rise from 3.9 to 4.4 in space of a month

13 hours ago, bojan said:

It is one of those "every 10 years I have to fuck up something about bones": 10 or 11 - hairline fracture of the collar bone, 20 - broken rib, 30 - broken arm, 41 - dislocated shoulder. So I am at ease for the ~ next 10 years. :)

If we ever meet, remind me to stay several yards(meters) away from you. No offense meant of course ;)

2 hours ago, DougRichards said:

I  received call from a  Registered nurse where my wife is is residing, about a hour ago, to say that my wife has been charted for 1ml of oral morphine twice a day for pain.  I expect, unless others can reassure me, that the end result is not so far away.  1ml Twice a day is not so much, is it?  She has been so well, working with me with exercises that she can do in bed, and word puzzles and the like....  I will visit tomorrow and take one of our cats to see her on Friday....  but I am still a bit disturbed / perturbed.

I think at times the best we can do is one day at a time and look back on the years of memories. Great idea on the cat. Surprising how knowing about human distress pets can be. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

I think at times the best we can do is one day at a time and look back on the years of memories. Great idea on the cat. Surprising how knowing about human distress pets can be. 

Some years ago I was caring for a neighbour's cat (who I managed to rehouse after his passing, She didn't get along with our cats).   I would take that cat to the hospice every two weeks or so, but one day she refused to be taken home.  It was quite a struggle but I managed it, gently and lovingly to take her home.  Well Bill (the neighbour) passed two days later.  I spoke at his funeral and was one of the pallbearers,  he knew my grandfather from WW1,  and Bill was a veteran of WW2.  It was an absolute honour to do that. 

I had his cat rehoused not too much after. 

Before Bill went into the hospice I was his emergency call person, and I suffered an injury (ripped one head of my right bicep helping him one  night - small price to pay ), I also sheltered in his flat / unit when my wife was raging some nights.  As she often did, better than trying to sleep on an abandoned mattress in the under croft of our building, yes that happened too.

So yes, I now take a neighbour's dog for a walk each evening (last five years), and have just started to take another neighbours' dog for a walk as well .  When one neighbour goes away i feed her cats (and pats and cuddles even thought they can be 'difficult'). 

So it comes down to being part of a community or a village. I know that another neighbour has a dog that may need walking and that yet another couple are moving in nearby, and yes, that dog will be okay to walk.

Meanwhile, the church that I attend has a 'columbarium': that is a wall for the deceased ashes to be placed.  I have organised a niche for my wife's ashes when she passes (whether I want to be next to that niche  is another question.....) but the columbarium needs some love and care, and maintenance, and I have volunteered to help with that (usually involves attaching the plaques to the wall).  I have suggested and bought Robertson screws for that and will contribute more if they let me.

All about community and love.

38 minutes ago, DougRichards said:

Some years ago I was caring for a neighbour's cat (who I managed to rehouse after his passing, She didn't get along with our cats).   I would take that cat to the hospice every two weeks or so, but one day she refused to be taken home.  It was quite a struggle but I managed it, gently and lovingly to take her home.  Well Bill (the neighbour) passed two days later.  I spoke at his funeral and was one of the pallbearers,  he knew my grandfather from WW1,  and Bill was a veteran of WW2.  It was an absolute honour to do that. 

I had his cat rehoused not too much after. 

Before Bill went into the hospice I was his emergency call person, and I suffered an injury (ripped one head of my right bicep helping him one  night - small price to pay ), I also sheltered in his flat / unit when my wife was raging some nights.  As she often did, better than trying to sleep on an abandoned mattress in the under croft of our building, yes that happened too.

So yes, I now take a neighbour's dog for a walk each evening (last five years), and have just started to take another neighbours' dog for a walk as well .  When one neighbour goes away i feed her cats (and pats and cuddles even thought they can be 'difficult'). 

So it comes down to being part of a community or a village. I know that another neighbour has a dog that may need walking and that yet another couple are moving in nearby, and yes, that dog will be okay to walk.

Meanwhile, the church that I attend has a 'columbarium': that is a wall for the deceased ashes to be placed.  I have organised a niche for my wife's ashes when she passes (whether I want to be next to that niche  is another question.....) but the columbarium needs some love and care, and maintenance, and I have volunteered to help with that (usually involves attaching the plaques to the wall).  I have suggested and bought Robertson screws for that and will contribute more if they let me.

All about community and love.

Personally admire your positive actions. You are a good man.

DISCLAIMER: If I write anything inappropriate, even by TN standards, blame it on the Norco I'm on right now.

Had 2 of my wisdom teeth taken out today. There was an option to go for all 4, but I declined since I'll be going on a trip to Los Angeles next week.  The procedure went smoothly thankfully due to the skill of the dentist and her hygienist.  It didn't hurt that both were attractive.  The latter is actually from my hometown too and out of nowhere mentioned that she is getting a divorce (IRthreatwarningtone.mp3). 

I was dreading it because, well, teeth are literally being pulled out plus I've got a history for tolerating anesthesia.  Hearing the cracking sound was both creepy and cool.  She kinda pried them from the gums at first then pulled them out with the pliers.  Clean pulls, no roots broken. I finally saw my teeth with all of their cavities, it was tres cool and I should have kept them in retrospect. 

The next 2 will be taken out later, along with a crown to be placed. The piece de resistance will be when I get fitted for a dental appliance.  With more room in my mouth and better sleep, I look forward to finally getting my weight under control again. It's been creeping up since mid-summer and it's pissed me off.

For those not in the know, I lost 50lbs  over the year via intermittent fasting.  But, since May, I've been gaining some of it back. I think it might be due to:

1) Post surgery.  Had part of my colon removed and I still have some ileus (gut paralysis).  

2) I moved back in with my parents. Mom's cooking is hard to turn down.  

3) Hard to do a fasting diet if you aren't working.  It was easy when I was too busy to be hungry.  

4) Worsened asthma, in turn, worsened sleep apnea due to New Orleans ultra-humid and allergen-saturated air. Getting my asthma under control was vital for my weight loss.  Without it, the stress hormones sky rocket and I binge eat late at night. 

31 minutes ago, sunday said:

Well, take care!

Re 4): could you put a dehumidifying + HEPA filtering unit in your room, at least? 

I could.  I had a dehumidifier a long time ago, thing weighed a ton.  I am going to make that a future purchase, compadre.

Edit: Purchased.  My lungs seem to prefer a drier climate.  Honestly, Sunday, how did my colonial ancestors cope with living in the balmiest part of the New World???

Edited by Stargrunt6

1 hour ago, Stargrunt6 said:

DISCLAIMER: If I write anything inappropriate, even by TN standards, blame it on the Norco I'm on right now.

Had 2 of my wisdom teeth taken out today. There was an option to go for all 4, but I declined since I'll be going on a trip to Los Angeles next week.  The procedure went smoothly thankfully due to the skill of the dentist and her hygienist.  It didn't hurt that both were attractive.  The latter is actually from my hometown too and out of nowhere mentioned that she is getting a divorce (IRthreatwarningtone.mp3). 

I was dreading it because, well, teeth are literally being pulled out plus I've got a history for tolerating anesthesia.  Hearing the cracking sound was both creepy and cool.  She kinda pried them from the gums at first then pulled them out with the pliers.  Clean pulls, no roots broken. I finally saw my teeth with all of their cavities, it was tres cool and I should have kept them in retrospect. 

The next 2 will be taken out later, along with a crown to be placed. The piece de resistance will be when I get fitted for a dental appliance.  With more room in my mouth and better sleep, I look forward to finally getting my weight under control again. It's been creeping up since mid-summer and it's pissed me off.

For those not in the know, I lost 50lbs  over the year via intermittent fasting.  But, since May, I've been gaining some of it back. I think it might be due to:

1) Post surgery.  Had part of my colon removed and I still have some ileus (gut paralysis).  

2) I moved back in with my parents. Mom's cooking is hard to turn down.  

3) Hard to do a fasting diet if you aren't working.  It was easy when I was too busy to be hungry.  

4) Worsened asthma, in turn, worsened sleep apnea due to New Orleans ultra-humid and allergen-saturated air. Getting my asthma under control was vital for my weight loss.  Without it, the stress hormones sky rocket and I binge eat late at night. 

Not nearly your ordeal, but today I also had dental work. Remove one  broke front tooth and put in a post so that in a few months the replacement is attached. Part of my upper lip is still a little numb after 10 hours. 

Numb is good, painful is bad when it comes to dental work :) 

I had two wisdom teeth (upper, apparently I don't have lower) pulled out finally two years ago, it also went smoothly, no need for post-pull painkillers, just some cold lemonade did a thing.

Edited by bojan

27 minutes ago, Stargrunt6 said:

Edit: Purchased.  My lungs seem to prefer a drier climate.  Honestly, Sunday, how did my colonial ancestors cope with living in the balmiest part of the New World???

Easy, those that did not cope, died. Southern Andalusia could be quite hot and humid in Summer, too.

I expect you did purchase an oversized one, preferably with direct hose connection to avoid having to empty the condensate vessel every day.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Not nearly your ordeal, but today I also had dental work. Remove one  broke front tooth and put in a post so that in a few months the replacement is attached. Part of my upper lip is still a little numb after 10 hours. 

I never broke a tooth, somehow. I usually have some prolonged numbness myself.  I tried eating at the Noodles and Company a few hours after a procedure. It wasn't pretty. 

2 hours ago, bojan said:

Numb is good, painful is bad when it comes to dental work :) 

I had two wisdom teeth (upper, apparently I don't have lower) pulled out finally two years ago, it also went smoothly, no need for post-pull painkillers, just some cold lemonade did a thing.

Good for you.  I usually refrain from opioids, but I started feeling the sting and really needed it. 

2 hours ago, sunday said:

Easy, those that did not cope, died. Southern Andalusia could be quite hot and humid in Summer, too.

I expect you did purchase an oversized one, preferably with direct hose connection to avoid having to empty the condensate vessel every day.

No, actually just a small one for my room.  

I just wondered how people back in the day coped with things like asthma and allergies. Maybe that's another reason they died early. 

8 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

how did my colonial ancestors cope with living in the balmiest part of the New World???

By doing more physical labor, and by dying at a younger age.

Day 2 of being 2 teeth down.  Wow, what a difference it makes for room in my mouth.   It's like knocking down a wall in the house.  I slept well, in spite of hunger from soft diet. I think it improved the sleep apnea.