British Army moderization issues

Dawes

We have known this for some time, in fact a British General wrote it in a novel he wrote about 4 years ago, illustrating our inability to send more than a Brigade to the baltic. British Tank battalions have only exercised at the company level for years. If the Politicians have only just noticed, they are not paying attention.

I believe there was a shortfall in cash for modernization, even before Cameron cut the budget by a third 10 years ago. Its a problem that hasnt improved. The shortfall in recruiting was also hitting the Army hard, but that is now being made up. But due to the budget, a lot of manned positions were being turned into British Army reserve positions, and recruiting on that has also been at a shortfall, for years. I had that directly from a guy who was in the TA at the time.

It needs some good leadership in the top levels of the Army and a cash injection to sort it out. The Army has had neither for years

Politics aside and economics also the BA does not know what it is doing..what its role is. also the top brass seem befuddled and too interested in PC  how to eat sandwiches and how and if to fold shirt sleeves

No, it's not pc that is the issue, there is no mission statement. During the cold war they knew what to do. Now they have no idea what they need to do.

We commit them to defend Eastern Europe, at the same time as bringing them out of Europe. The Defence minister was begging to keep the Army in Germany where they could easily deploy from, and the Conservatives were obsessed with monetary saving by bringing them home.

I'm furious personally. And the only rumours we hear are that it's going to get worse. Nobody wants to put their eye on defence to sort it out. No votes in it.

No they certaintly dont. Particularly when its self evidently bollocks, as was clear from the start with the Investigation over the Battle of Danny Boy.

it was pointed out by Gavin Williamson that there were dangers of charges over the Bogside shootings, he took it up to May, she wasnt too fond of Williamson so she ignored him, and presumably she was beset by problems over Brexit. So a Para gets charged, and you would not believe the alacrity with which they started setting up a bill to block it happening again.

Sorry to say, in my view at least, thats the modern British Government all over. They have to crash into a problem before they see it.