Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Edition

Captain Hurricane

Saw that this has been released in the last few days......

Amazing detailed terrain that looks stunning (if you have a grunty enough PC).......here's some examples from my part of the world: https://youtu.be/gKIBNsNrAVQ ........and 20 odd different civilian aircraft from Cessa 172 to the Airbus 320 & Boeing 747 to fly.

But after you've flown around and looked at the scenary you want to does it actually have enough replay value to make it a worthwhile purchase? Or do you think your US$60+ is better spent on something like DCS where you get the same high end graphics but get to fly all sorts of different combat aircraft.

All depends what you are looking for as a gamer and personal choice I guess?

I like blowing shit up. DCS gives me all that I really want, particularly now I can seemingly run it at a decent frame rate.

I dont have a downer on FS, I had a lot of fun with FSX. But I find it extraordinary that after all these years, they have not included any support to running your own airline, giving you a reason to fly to all these places. OK, so you can get third party support to do things like that, but after spending over 60 quid on a flight sim, should you really have to?

Ill probably get it at some point, but i dont see any reason to hurry. There are some true horror stories of 70 gb 'updates' it drops on you, and I just cant be doing with that.

Though I do not (yet) possess the new MS flight sim, I do find that the cockpits are not as nice as some of those in DCS or IL2. Flying the planes also looks a bit arcadish in many videos. The map looks great though and it is not bound by borders like those in the aforementioned sims.

On the $60,-, this will get you about one thoroughly modeled plane in DCS on the old default map, outside of sales periods.

I've been flying in the new MSFS since I got into the Beta in mid-July and I also got the release version on launch.

I guess the big thing with it is that you can literally explore the entire world. I've been doing some tours around vacation spots I've been visiting over the past few years, and when you can spot your exact hotel including the swimming pool in countries like Croatia, that were complete wastelands, scenery-wise, in previous flight sims, it's quite impressive.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

What is the Flight modelling like?

It's pretty great for smaller general aviation planes, and, let's say, slightly unfinished for everything larger or more complex. If you want to fly jets with every cockpit switch and autopilot function correctly modeled, it's not something for you, at least currently. Performance figures for jet engines especially are also slightly off currently, hopefully getting fixed soon.

Still, most of the default airplanes are of vastly higher quality and systems depth than the default stock planes back in FSX.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

Ok, well I can handle the cockpits being on the FSX level, if they have improved the flight modelling. I do admit the way they model icing looks impressive visually, Im just interested to learn whether its any better in the flight model.

Ill probably wait till they bring it out on DVD. With my broadband I refuse to entertain 70 gig plus downloads.

Oh, come one Stuart. That's only two times the DCS Syria map. ^_^

Zeitgeist, which edition did you buy? Would you recommend the Premium Deluxe version?

Edited by Daan

Ill probably wait till they bring it out on DVD. With my broadband I refuse to entertain 70 gig plus downloads.

There's apparently a retail version from Aerosoft that comes on a ton of DVDs. Not sure if you can get that in the UK, though.

There's apparently a retail version from Aerosoft that comes on a ton of DVDs. Not sure if you can get that in the UK, though.

I

Aerospace stuff usually pops up on Amazon eventually. I bought a fair bit of their stuff for FSX.

Zeitgeist, which edition did you buy? Would you recommend the Premium Deluxe version?

I got the Premium Deluxe version, and I'm happy with my decision, as I believe I will /eventually/ get my money's worth out of it.

Like all of MSFS, it depends on your expectations. The Premium Deluxe version is double the regular price for the standard edition, and you get 10 additional airplanes, and 10 additional handcrafted, more detailed airports. So that breaks down to 3€/$ per additional airplane or airport.

The handcrafted airports aren't the same quality as the ones you would get from premium payware developers, but for the price, I think they're just fine. And there's a good variety of them, large international hubs as well as smaller regional airports or even tiny bush strips in the jungle of New Guinea.

The airplanes are a bit of a mixed bag currently. Some of them are just fine, especially the smaller GA aircraft, but the more complex ones, like the Cessna Citation Longitude business jet, are simply not quite finished yet, and have some of their avionics functions missing (VNAV autopilot mode, for example) or have strange placeholder performance figures. The Longitude has way too much engine power and fuel burn, for example, and hardly goes from Munich to London on a full tank, when it would have transatlantic range in reality.

I personally think that a lot of that stuff will get fixed in the coming months, but I also hate to buy unfinished software. It's pretty obvious that MSFS should originally have been released with another few months of development, around Christmas or so, and there was a decision at Microsoft to rush it to a summer release. Still, in this case, I'm very happy with the product, as the scope of the entire thing is so big that you can just ignore all of the unfinished stuff and still have months of enjoyment just flying Cessnas or my favourite plane, the TBM 930 turboprop, around.

Here's a few screenshots from my recent travels:

Taking the Cessna 152 on a morning ride along the US gulf coast

unknown.png?width=1608&height=904

Icon A5 amphibious plane over the Côte d’Azur at Antibes

Checking out Hurricane Laura

Climbing out of Denver Int'l