Uss Doris Miller Cvn-81

Murph

Maybe it shouldn't have to be said but if I'm not mistaken, Shangri La would be inside of Tibet. Tibet pointed their guns at any Chinese faction approached them in the 50 years of their declared independence which included the Second-Sino Japanese war period. The over the hump supply flew over both the Himalaya mountains and Tibet itself since theTibetans were not going to help the Chinese. So its odd to name a ship that could be identified as representing a place that would be against helping and later had its fate falling back into becoming part of China again.

Well, when they name 2 aircraft carriers after fairly minor officers in the USN, its not like they dont have much of an excuse not to name one after a CMOH winner.

Miller did not get MOH, if that's what you mean. He was awarded Navy Cross.

Sorry, brain fart. He probably earned one IMHO.

Maybe it shouldn't have to be said but if I'm not mistaken, Shangri La would be inside of Tibet. Tibet pointed their guns at any Chinese faction approached them in the 50 years of their declared independence which included the Second-Sino Japanese war period. The over the hump supply flew over both the Himalaya mountains and Tibet itself since theTibetans were not going to help the Chinese. So its odd to name a ship that could be identified as representing a place that would be against helping and later had its fate falling back into becoming part of China again.

It was named for the mythical place the Doolittle Raiders flew from IIRC. If it upsets the ChiComs, my own view, its well worth doing. USS Tibet or USS Dalai Lama, or USS Chiang Kai-Shek are other other possiblities of course.....

Sorry, brain fart. He probably earned one IMHO.

It was named for the mythical place the Doolittle Raiders flew from IIRC. If it upsets the ChiComs, my own view, its well worth doing. USS Tibet or USS Dalai Lama, or USS Chiang Kai-Shek are other other possiblities of course.....

USS Tibet :)

Well the PLAN already got a jump on it with the second Type 55 destroyer being named "Lhasa".