T-64, T-72, T-80 Ni Gsfg Question

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the KMZ, there is the first draft. I intend to do North Caucasus as well (this was a project to generate targets for Digital Combat Simulator) but Im considering doing other locations as well. There seems to be a lot of data on SS20 sites on the CIA FOIA for example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3glw9my6qdjcroq/Transcaucasian%20Military%20District.kmz?dl=0

Thanks for that map, Jim. Do you have a detailed list of Soviet tank units, where they were in Eastern Europe, and what they had in 1980-1984?

Corinthian; here's an example of what's out there...the two document titles are in bold. Chances are, that when combined, these two will have the info you're looking for...

eviz8oP.jpg

Evening all,

This link is for a PDF final ORBAT of GSFG. Whilst it does not cover equipment, it does give location information and a history of major formations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://nebula.wsimg.com/80610ad9369d74e131df6321fad7bae2%3FAccessKeyId%3D93698E5D58AD4CF5EEC2%26disposition%3D0%26alloworigin%3D1&ved=2ahUKEwjB8aaSkbLrAhVjlFwKHe3AAxwQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3rCGkhFi528SLbUdxwhu7m

Best,

Greg.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

Speaking of the KMZ, there is the first draft. I intend to do North Caucasus as well (this was a project to generate targets for Digital Combat Simulator) but Im considering doing other locations as well. There seems to be a lot of data on SS20 sites on the CIA FOIA for example.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3glw9my6qdjcroq/Transcaucasian%20Military%20District.kmz?dl=0

Oh, Stuart the file is unavailable now...

Could you please re-upload it? Or maybe is it updated...?

On 8/20/2020 at 9:01 PM, Jim Warford said:

Corinthian; here's an example of what's out there...the two document titles are in bold. Chances are, that when combined, these two will have the info you're looking for...

eviz8oP.jpg

The problem is, when I type the document's name in a web browser, it does not appear... could you please provide any link or info about the source hwere can it be downloaded from...?

Thanks; I've downloaded it but... what type of ile is *.kmz? An archive of some kind (packed files) or what? What software should I use to read the file(s)?

EDIT:

no question. just found the answer (view the file in Google Earth or unzip with WinZip or similar soft).

Edited by Darth Stalin

I thought Transcaucasus was more interesting, because you can find the nuclear bunkers, and many of the abandoned barracks have been left untouched. But at least with North Caucasus and Baltic you can use google streetview and take a look over the fence at the Russian Army bases. All very James Bond. :ninja:

On 9/11/2020 at 4:57 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

I thought Transcaucasus was more interesting, because you can find the nuclear bunkers, and many of the abandoned barracks have been left untouched. But at least with North Caucasus and Baltic you can use google streetview and take a look over the fence at the Russian Army bases. All very James Bond. :ninja:

I'm GM'ing an espionage RPG.  I have it set in the early 90s, one reason why is that with Google, anyone can sorta be a spy at home.

7 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

De Havilland Chipmunk, spyplane extraordinare.

I wonder if pictures taken that way was how NATO first found out about this supposed Russian "super tank" which had an unmanned turret and a 152mm gun?  I do wonder how and when they first heard about it and where the information came from initially.  Could the vehicle really have been that close to a border area?

11 hours ago, Gavin-Phillips said:

I wonder if pictures taken that way was how NATO first found out about this supposed Russian "super tank" which had an unmanned turret and a 152mm gun?  I do wonder how and when they first heard about it and where the information came from initially.  Could the vehicle really have been that close to a border area?

No, unless it was operational, these pictures were taken over a Soviet barracks area that was below or close to the flight corridor into Berlin, which housed a 2nd Guards Tank Army division (IIRC) so it was easy to look down while they were doing routine tasks. A possible source could be a mention on some discarded paper as one of the golden sources for the Military missions were the Soviet trash dumps and "other" dumps.

12 hours ago, Gavin-Phillips said:

Probably not, they never deployed 'FST1' outside the Soviet Union as far as im aware.

If you look up the CIA FOIA report 'Soviet Tank Programs' dated December 1984, you can see an envisaged configuration of FST1 on page 30. It suggests that the configurations they illustrate are from Soviet publications, which was popular among the CIA to collect and study at the time for intelligence exploitation.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP00-01872R001001550001-3.pdf

13 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

I'm GM'ing an espionage RPG.  I have it set in the early 90s, one reason why is that with Google, anyone can sorta be a spy at home.

There was a cold war fiction writer I admired by the name of Craig Thomas (his best known novel was Firefox, made into the Clint Eastwood movie). One of his novels is called 'Winter Hawk', where Gant, pilot of the firefox, flies into the USSR in a captured Hind to bring out a spy. Anyway, it all goes wrong on him, and he is on the run and having to try and get out the country by his own means. The reason why I mention this, its set in Georgia, or Transcaucasus military district. After doing this ive had to reflect how much easier he would find it to have written it now, with all the wonderful google earth imagery available. You are right, its a wonderful resource. I use it all the time doing my work for the train simulator people. I dont think I could work without a GE overlay now.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith
Just now, RETAC21 said:

No, unless it was operational, these pictures were taken over a Soviet barracks area that was below or close to the flight corridor into Berlin, which housed a 2nd Guards Tank Army division (IIRC) so it was easy to look down while they were doing routine tasks. A possible source could be a mention on some discarded paper as one of the golden sources for the Military missions were the Soviet trash dumps and "other" dumps.

Tamarisk operations. Yeah, I still dream of a very smelly T80B manual turning up in the national archive. :D

Incidentally, that reminds me. The USMLM unit histories are back online again.

http://www.coldwarspies.com/reading_room/usmlm_histories/usmlm_1980s/

This may have been posted somewhere here before, but concerning BRIXMIS, these two videos have some interesting insights, especially about the hunt for the T-80 and its ERA boxes. The second video is a raw recording of a simple drive from West Berlin to Potsdam via the Glienicke Bridge border crossing and back, also interesting.

Just a reminder...the FST-1 designation actually refers to a level of technology incorporated into the T-72B and T-80U...not a particular tank. The FST-2 designation does refer to a particular tank (tank test bed really) that was considered a revolutionary design. While actual photos have become available in the following years, back in those days, one of the most interesting images is included below. Although described in the document as being an "artist's conception," this drawing is shown from a very unique angle and from what looks like an altitude well above the normal flying altitude of a Chipmunk. 🙂 

jwTt0OJ.jpg

43 minutes ago, Jim Warford said:

Just a reminder...the FST-1 designation actually refers to a level of technology incorporated into the T-72B and T-80U...not a particular tank. The FST-2 designation does refer to a particular tank (tank test bed really) that was considered a revolutionary design. While actual photos have become available in the following years, back in those days, one of the most interesting images is included below. Although described in the document as being an "artist's conception," this drawing is shown from a very unique angle and from what looks like an altitude well above the normal flying altitude of a Chipmunk. 🙂 

jwTt0OJ.jpg

I think it was that picture which made me think it just might have been one of those Chipmunk flights which revealed the existence of an extraordinary tank project which was being explored at the time.  I'm sure I have seen the image before, perhaps its been posted here before.  Lets face it, its not like the T-95 and Obj.195 are new topics in themselves.

I'll have to watch those Brixmis videos later on; I've always found that kind of thing fascinating really.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, Jim Warford said:

jwTt0OJ.jpg

Reminds mobile gun testing rig from KMDB.