Double Or Triple Turrets Most Effective?

Murph

When are we going to discuss the USN-After-Next battle cruiser?

Lets assume guided arty technology is ported to naval shells.

4 single-barrel turrets, lets say 200mm, some sort of autoloading system.

UCAV autolaunch/recovery system.

AEGIS-type radar system.

CIWS out the wazoo.

And since we are talking about the USN, massive freezers for all the ice cream.

Begin!

How about 9 of them ^_^ http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk16.php

The most beautiful cruisers ever made.

When are we going to discuss the USN-After-Next battle cruiser?

Lets assume guided arty technology is ported to naval shells.

UCAV autolaunch/recovery system.

AEGIS-type radar system.

CIWS out the wazoo.

And since we are talking about the USN, massive freezers for all the ice cream.

Begin!

...costs as much as a CVN, no ammo for the main guns, close-in weapons are unstabilized 30mm guns... :P

I have never worked in ballistics or electronics.... but I would presume that the muzzle blast from the two outer guns would effect the ballistics of either the one inner gun in a triple turret, or the two inner guns in a quad turret. Hence the idea of a delay between firing each gun.

think that's something that only recently became relevant, and it could be a cheaper but less reliable alternative to active damping and realigning in high RoF guns.

The idea of nuclear fratricide comes to mind. One projectile interfering with the projectile beside it.

This from the perspective of smaller caliber cannons, of the tank type. It turns out that crosswind effect on a projectile is greatest during the first few meters beyond the muzzle. So it would seem to me that the muzzle blast from one cannon could adversely effect the projectile flight of a round fired from a nearby cannon. Ken's note that center guns were fired a split second after the two outside guns speaks to this theory.

I think that there may have been something of a black art when people were attempting to resolve weird dispersion effects from multi-gun turrets.

I believe that "all of the above" suggestions may have been true for individual instances.

I think that the UK "solved" some issues by staggering firing by very small intervals to get around mutual interference between shells, but that might also be effective in mitigating vibration between mounts as well - which would depend on resonance and timing.

I suspect that modelling the dynamic behaviour of these systems would still be fairly challenging using modern computer simulations.