Gunner, Heat, Pc!

Well the gunnery modelling seems to be. Im no gunnery expert, but the gunnery model is very reminiscent of steel beasts when using the M1A1. The behind armour effects are reminicent of war thunder, and its actually a joy to watch to see where you shell penetrated. When you hit the carousel of a T72 there is a big explosion and a torrent of fire emitted from the broken hull. So there is clearly internal damage modelling working.

Whether it will develop into Steel Beasts competition, who can tell? Its certainly worth keeping an eye on, Ill say that much for it. The thing I loved about SB was how easy it was to move units on the map. They really need to develop something like that, even if it doesnt directly emulate it.

Try the demo, its completely free and see what you think.

There is a fairly broad spectrum ranging from "simulation for experimentation", "training simulation", "educational aid", "simulation game" and finally "arcade game". I wish eSim Games had the time and resouces to cover the "simulation game" niche better, but we don't, so we concentrate on the "training" aspect, with one dash of experimentation capability and two dashes of entertainment.

If we helped game designers all over to realize that hitpoint based damage models are stupid and energy based ammunition models are the way to go, then that's progress overall. Replicating the basic behavior of a fire control system is, again, not too difficult with Steel Beasts as a general reference being out for everybody to study. Our pioneering effort is to go into the actual vehicles for actual military customers to replicate their "user interfaces" and the procedures, and that we're doing this on a very broad front. Besides, there are only so many ways how a fire control system can skin the cat of delivering a round on a ballistic trajectory from one moving platform to another moving target.

It is a Steel Beasts competitor when it is not trying to be a simulator? It might be more of a competitor for War Thunder. I signed up for the Patreon.

I thought Inoticed your handle on the discord. :)

When I signed up for the steel beasts beta team, we were I thought headed towards a simulation based on the cold war environment. I still yearn for something in that realm, and I dont really care at this point how lite it is. Heck, Id even take something in the M1 tank platoon 2 mould.

Gunner, HEAT, PC! was started by tank nerds, driven by our experiences playing tank games. We remember the well crafted sim-lite titles from decades past, and we think there's a place for that kind of game again. GHPC is not another free-to-play arena TDM game, and it's not a full-blown simulator you need a manual and a week of training to use. We intend to fuse game and simulation in a way that preserves player experience yet doesn't sacrifice on realism where it really counts.

https://gunnerheatpc.com/news/articles/dev-log-number-2-why-we-fight

It is a Steel Beasts competitor when it is not trying to be a simulator? It might be more of a competitor for War Thunder. I signed up for the Patreon.

I thought Inoticed your handle on the discord. :)

When I signed up for the steel beasts beta team, we were I thought headed towards a simulation based on the cold war environment. I still yearn for something in that realm, and I dont really care at this point how lite it is. Heck, Id even take something in the M1 tank platoon 2 mould.

I want tanks to be fun again. Steel Beasts is fun, if I'm in the mood to be in a combined arms team again. War Thunder is sometimes fun, when I don't want to throw it out the window because something bizarre happened (HEAT round impacts a towing lug and my tank bursts into flame) or when some thing all too common happens (guys with the AA guns are too busy trying to kill tanks to notice the CAS aircraft killing off their team...) What other options do we have? Steel Armor? That's fine as a tank game, but it's got that goofy UI and I'm not super stoked about playing Iranians or Iraqis...

Edited by Hellfish6

Steel armor was good, but you are right, the map mode was bloody awful. I don't know, I'm happy to play Iranians, if they have Chieftains. :)

There were Chieftains in the game, but at least in the last version I played you couldn't control them. Only T-62 and M60A1.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The AI is a mixed bag. Yes, they sometimes do do dumb things. I saw an abram from my platoon bump into a tree. It kept doing it, till I changed my direction, and it went around the tree. But there have been some scenarios (presumably semi scripted) where you go head to head with an enemy, and a platoon flanks you.  Irritating AI, but im not see anything game killing personally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

Well its out. Anyone else tried it yet?

I got it yesterday, but I think I'm going to return it.

I expected the experience of a modern M1 Tank Platoon, with some elements from Steel Beasts. But what we have so far is more like a tank gunnery arcade game.

The AI is atrocious, there's almost no tactical control of your units except your own platoon formation (you can't even give commands to other platoons on the map).