Jacques Littlefield And His Collection

Ken Estes

A bit sad, but a splendid review of Jacques' life, a bit of his family and of course the AFV collection, origins and destinies, somewhat marred by commercial inserts. Remains a fine memory piece covering Jacques’ life and the collection in sufficient detail, even for his friends who knew and visited him.

I was going to post this also in the Memorial Forum, but I don't see it anymore?

Enjoy! --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmw-oqAQmKIh

Wow, is Cable television over there always presented so nerve wraking....that voice, that tone, the intonation.....aaaaarg :-) It really freaks you out after a while. Every word must be made to sound world shocking. :-)

Wow, is Cable television over there always presented so nerve wraking....that voice, that tone, the intonation.....aaaaarg :-) It really freaks you out after a while. Every word must be made to sound world shocking. :-)

Seeing someone (you) had posted reminded me to have a look. Which I did (before reading your postings).

I couldn´t get thru more than a few minutes. You are right and more; I don´t care to go to details.

Sorry Ken - utterly unwatchable.

If it were a work assignment I would suffer thru it, but . . . no no no

Martin, did you miss the expression 'somewhat marred?' It properly summarized Jacques and his life and collection, then got into the Collins Collection, which is the weak point of the collection's fate.

You did notice the Fox News logo, did you not? Ex caveat emptor....

Edited by Ken Estes

Imagine having been a 1930s newsreel narrator. Did people speak like that back then??

Never had the pleasure of visiting the Littlefield ranch when the collection was altogether. Would have made my bucket list. At least now, I know most of the primo stuff is in MA. I am surprised the kids did not open up a local museum in the Bay Area and have a revolving exhibit of Dad's vehicles in it. They could have run school groups and vet groups through it, and They could have made some money that way. Or did they not explore renting the vehicles out for movies and what not? Even Bovington tries to make some money from tank rides and car crushing demos for the public. Given the Portola location is not feasible for that, but some other location with a large grounds might have worked.

Exactly. I think one son was on the Foundation board of directors, but that was it, moreover his widow ended up selling out entirely and rather quickly, including the ranch itself.

Jacques wanted to move the collection down into the valley with easy access to the public, etc, but did not leave behind any instructions or funds for it, as he was not planning on death. There was also the problem of title to the vehicles, which he was transferring from himself to the Foundation, but was limited to 10 or 12 per year as I recall because of tax rules. Thus, only about 120 vehicles belonged to the Foundation the rest remained in his estate.

So it's a great irony that he built his collection in part from other collections on the demise of their owners [budge for instance], yet proved unable to prevent the same happening to his own. Up in Puget Sound country, the late Paul Allen bought several choice objects from the auction, including the PzKW IVH, the Scud erector and rocket, the 8-ton SdKfz 7 and an M26 tank,among others for his Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum.

Still Jacques has likley done a great service to future generations by preserving and storing so many vehicle that might have otherwise been lost.

I believe it's in Wyoming in the Sparks collection. Will verify after I check the place out.

This is correct, except it's Dan Starks. The Sparks collection would be dozens of M113 variants, I'd imagine. ;)

Edit: You can see it in the background at 0:16:

Edited by DogDodger

I believe it's in Wyoming in the Sparks collection. Will verify after I check the place out.

This is correct, except it's Dan Starks. The Sparks collection would be dozens of M113 variants, I'd imagine. ;)

Edit: You can see it in the background at 0:16:

Have to head up that way one of these weekends. It's only a 7 hour drive.

He was a gracious host and having him give us a tour of the collection is a highlight in my life. I will always remember flying out west on a nearly empty plane two weeks after 9/11 to meet him and Mr. Hunnicutt (yes, that Mr. Hunnicutt) who was also a gracious and fascinating man.

Museum isn't open yet. They were aiming for Memorial day but that has been pushed back. I shall suggest to Armour museum that the M113 section be termed the Mike Sparks Memorial Wing

Don't you need to be dead to be memorialised?

Museum isn't open yet. They were aiming for Memorial day but that has been pushed back. I shall suggest to Armour museum that the M113 section be termed the Mike Sparks Memorial Wing

Yeah, I'm in no rush. Probably tack it on to a trip to visit my cousin in Montana.

Don't you need to be dead to be memorialised?

Yes, but why not get ahead of the curve?