Centauro 2

Dawes

The Centauro 1 was designed as a high-mobility, manoeuvre-level protected fires support system against threats that might materialise away from the iron curtain, where most of the tanks were deployed.

Overtaken by events, it has been widely used as a heavily armed ‘cavalry’ vehicle and been considered very successful.

The Centauro 2 is an updated/upgraded version.

The choice of 120 is partly commonality and partly growth potential.

High-velocity, large caliber guns obviously vastly overmatch medium-light cannon in range and lethality against hard targets.  At any rate, the Freccia carries a 25mm.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, CaptLuke said:

It's tough to get specifics, but I believe the VBTP Guarani is based on the SuperAV simplified to use IVECO Trakker components, so literally heavy truck components.  Besides the obvious economies of scale, this also let's the Brazilians take advantage of IVECO facilities in Brazil and possibly Argentina.

The SuperAV per se, and I would assume also the Centauro, use substantially more sophisticated drive trains that, AFAIK, don't have commercial application.

Yes there are components that might not be usually commercial like  H transmission for the 8 wheels, but note however that IVECO also make tractors and all sort of the public works vehicles. The CNH group that Iveco is part of is quite big and includes former Ford New Holland, Magirus, Steyr, Case, etc.  It is still controlled by the Agnelli family of Fiat.

10 minutes ago, WRW said:

I saw something on line yesterday that looks like Taiwanese are looking at something similar ..cannot locate now

They had a program for making a 105mm 8 wheeler for a handful of years now. Based on their 8 wheeler IFV. The 105 cannon is apparantly rifled. Perhaps based on Rooikat's 105mm.

• 2 weeks later...