Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For all his vices, it looks that Putin has singlehandedly deleted covid from media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Tim the Tank Nut said:

the New York Times ran a piece on how the Ukrainians weren't wearing masks...

Balaklavas don't count?  *makes jerking motion*

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An update on my mom... as it's taken some interesting turns.

She was in and out of the ER for several days way back in Dec.  Thankfully it wasn't from COVID directly (no respiratory issues) but from complications COVID was apparently causing with other medical problems that before had been low-lying and not really that bothersome to her.  There wasn't much the ER could do to help her and they directed her to various specialists but she was unable to see them til x number of days had passed and/or she tested negative.

By the end of Dec/early Jan she finally started going in to see these various specialists, they ran a litany of tests, but they couldn't really offer any help or even understood what was going on (it reinforced how we still don't know all the ramifications of COVID and its interactions with other conditions).  She quickly gave up on these specialists as she said she could 'handle' her new reality and the visits were unpleasant (largely from her being unvaccinated, she said).  Unfortunately that new reality was she was extremely tired.  She had to take naps every day and always went to bed early.  She officially retired and closed down her in-home day care.  It was... depressing to see but not unheard of from folks who have had COVID.

Talked to her very recently and she's been doing a LOT better.  So... what happened?  My mom has always been one to do her own reading and been willing to try alternative approaches (in part due to her upbringing and also from the fact we never had much money growing up so could never afford to see the 'experts').  She was trying to understand why she was feeling the way she was... and noticed all her symptoms pointed to Vit D toxicity.  She stopped taking all Vit D supplements and any with Vit D in them... and not long after she returned to normal (even talked about taking some kids back into her home).

For about a decade her doc had been a Naturopath who she'd had a lot of success with.  My mom was in a bad car accident a decade ago and most docs wrote her off as being in pain and almost immobile for the rest of her life.  She found this Naturopath who worked with her and pointed her to other docs/specialists who believed she could get better... and she did.  However... since COVID started... my mom had said on multiple occasions that her Naturopath seems to have lost it.  When she was reading up on Vit D and her symptoms she looked at everything she was taking, based on direction from this Naturopath, that she was well over 10k IUs of Vit D per day for months.  I follow alternate/unconventional docs as well who often suggest much higher vitamin doses than you normally here... but even everyone I follow would point out what my mom was taking was too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're popping random pills and patent nostrums without a proper pharmacological assessment, then this sort of thing can happen, I suppose.

It seems that typically it's suggested you take 1000-2000 IU if you live in the north and can't get it through sunlight alone. Anyone who lives healthily and spends a half hour a day outside in a southern US climate shouldn't need any supplementary vitamin D, unless they're bathing in factor 30.

I don't believe that there are definitive data on what is a "normal" amount of vitamin D to have, it seems to be quite variable and tricky to determine, not least because what it actually does (immune system wise) does not seem to be widely understood, and probably also because there's no money in it. I can buy 360 capsules for a couple of pennies each.

Note that John Campbell (the UK youtuber posted quite frequently here), takes 2000 IU, lives in northern England and tends an allotment, so gets a reasonable amount of sun (such as it is up there). Personally, I've been taking 1000IU since I started watching his videos, on the assumption that my indoor lifestyle meant I should be doing so for general health (this is actually following NHS guidance anyway), and that if the theory that it has the moderating effect on immune system overreaction was correct (I think that's the "cytokine storm" that people were talking about in the early months), it would be a nice bonus.

So far, I aitn't ded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the vitamin D level standards were done with calcium absorption in mind.

IIRC there were studies that were done with primitive cultures who spend most of their entire lives outdoors, and found that blood vitamin D levels were several times higher than what is currently recommended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottom line with vitamin D etc. is to get a complete blood workup annually or thereabouts.

Fauci said something about taking 6000 IU per day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2022 at 3:16 AM, DB said:

If you're popping random pills and patent nostrums without a proper pharmacological assessment, then this sort of thing can happen, I suppose.

It seems that typically it's suggested you take 1000-2000 IU if you live in the north and can't get it through sunlight alone. Anyone who lives healthily and spends a half hour a day outside in a southern US climate shouldn't need any supplementary vitamin D, unless they're bathing in factor 30.

I don't believe that there are definitive data on what is a "normal" amount of vitamin D to have, it seems to be quite variable and tricky to determine, not least because what it actually does (immune system wise) does not seem to be widely understood, and probably also because there's no money in it. I can buy 360 capsules for a couple of pennies each.

Note that John Campbell (the UK youtuber posted quite frequently here), takes 2000 IU, lives in northern England and tends an allotment, so gets a reasonable amount of sun (such as it is up there). Personally, I've been taking 1000IU since I started watching his videos, on the assumption that my indoor lifestyle meant I should be doing so for general health (this is actually following NHS guidance anyway), and that if the theory that it has the moderating effect on immune system overreaction was correct (I think that's the "cytokine storm" that people were talking about in the early months), it would be a nice bonus.

So far, I aitn't ded.

If i worked the microgram-IU conversion right I was taking around 2000-4000 IU between Oct-Jan and now dropped to 2K that the sun is occasionally visible. Well above the usual recommendation but weather being what it is in Finland and coming to work indoors before sunrise and leaving well after, figured its a good idea, and no ill effects here either. Rather the contrary, without the chronic winter tiredness, and noticably less hair coming off. Zero flu's as well but that's prob more due all the covid restrictions, distancing, remote work, masks, hand sanitizer etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course, my latitude is in the low 50s, not the high 50s/low 60s, so I don't claim to be quite are translucent as Finns.

Whether my health is notably different or not is not clear - social distancing is probably responsible for the absence of seasonal colds, but working from home has also changed my diet (for the better, mostly), but my daily light exercise has tanked.

I suspect I'm probably low on vitamin C due to a dietician telling me to stay off the fruit juice because of the sugar content.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we first sussed to Vitamin D as being useful way back in March or of 2020, I added Vitamin D to my daily intake. Vitamin C and Zinc too. 

I do physical work like system and server installs at work, 6000 steps a day, sometimes 10,000, so I'm not a fat body like everyone else in my industry who's mostly sitting at home. I'm by no means a he-man but I can rack a ~70lb 2u server at full extension over head and get the whole thing mounted on rather fiddly rails by myself. That needs strength AND precision to get the mounting pins into the banjo slots on the rails. 

Edited by rmgill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing about sunlight/vitD is that in the winter months, at high latitudes there isn't enough UVA getting thru, now matter how un-melanated you are or how many hours a day you are in direct sunlight.

I suspect that way-north folks survived over the millennia by eating all that cold-water fish like cod.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fish oil was widely used folk cure for colds and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, Skywalkre said:

 

For about a decade her doc had been a Naturopath who she'd had a lot of success with. 

Two words: Blind. Squirrel.

 

On 2/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, Skywalkre said:

My mom was in a bad car accident a decade ago and most docs wrote her off as being in pain and almost immobile for the rest of her life.  She found this Naturopath who worked with her and pointed her to other docs/specialists who believed she could get better... and she did.  However... since COVID started... my mom had said on multiple occasions that her Naturopath seems to have lost it.  When she was reading up on Vit D and her symptoms she looked at everything she was taking, based on direction from this Naturopath, that she was well over 10k IUs of Vit D per day for months.  I follow alternate/unconventional docs as well who often suggest much higher vitamin doses than you normally here... but even everyone I follow would point out what my mom was taking was too much.

MOTHER OF GOD THAT QUACK MAY HAVE WRECKED HER LIVER.  

 

25k IU q week is the usual dose, and the maximum. 

Edited by Stargrunt6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More than 140 million Americans have had the coronavirus, according to estimates from blood tests that reveal antibodies from infection — about double the rate regularly cited by national case counts.

The estimates, compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, show that about 43 percent of the country has been infected by the virus. The study shows that the majority of children have also been infected.

 

The White House on Monday unveiled sweeping nursing-home reforms designed to improve the quality of care, ensure adequate staffing levels and make facility ownership more transparent. President Joe Biden will discuss the measures in his State of the Union address Tuesday night, the White House said, emphasizing the pandemic’s toll on long-term care residents and staff.

After 200,000 COVID deaths in nursing homes, White House unveils reforms (msn.com)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A small study of patients suffering from persistent symptoms long after a bout of COVID-19 found that nearly 60% had nerve damage possibly caused by a defective immune response, a finding that could point to new treatments, U.S. researchers reported on Tuesday. "I think what's going on here is that the nerves that control things like our breathing, blood vessels and our digestion in some cases are damaged in these long COVID patients," said Dr. Anne Louise Oaklander, a neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital and a lead author on the study https://nn.neurology.org/content/9/3/e1146 published in Neurology: Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation.

 

WASHINGTON, March 2 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Tuesday said his administration has launched a new initiative that will allow Americans to get tested for COVID-19 at a pharmacy and immediately receive free pills if they test positive.

UPDATE 1-Biden announces new COVID initiative that gives Americans free pills (msn.com)

 

 

The National Institutes of Health this week ordered a sweeping review of government policies for experiments involving potentially dangerous viruses and other pathogens, a move the agency said will balance the benefits and risks of such research but is unrelated to the debate over the coronavirus pandemic’s origin. 

NIH orders sweeping review of potentially risky experiments on viruses and other pathogens (msn.com)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like COVID is over, no masks in sight at the U.S. Capitol last night. I heard it was a result of science………..political science that is……..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One in thirty

Quote

That's my latest "best guess" when it comes to people who took the jabs for permanent and material impairment of their health.

One in thirty.

Incidentally that might be conservative; I would not be surprised if its worse than that.

My estimates in this regard keep going the "wrong" way; what was a couple months ago one in a couple hundred is now close to ten times worse than that.

This is yet another data set, this time from Israel and Pfizer which was intentionally suppressed and is still being intentionally suppressed.

1 in 30 is about 3% of all recipients.  There will be a skew but exactly where it lands is not yet known.  There is a furious attempt at present to deflect the most-obvious and outrageous examples of harm, specifically cardiac damage in young men, with the claim that "its transitory."

That's flat-out BS; heart damage is nearly always both cumulative and permanent.

Does look like the vaccines are worse than the illness.

Edit to add: link to the Pifzre documents

Edited by sunday
Link to comment
Share on other sites

March 3 (Reuters) - Eli Lilly and Incyte's arthritis drug baricitinib helped reduce the risk of death in hospitalised COVID-19 patients by 13% regardless of which other coronavirus treatment they were given, according to a large British study.

Arthritis drug shown to reduce risk of COVID death in large UK trial (msn.com)

 

Anew variant of the coronavirus was found in a population of white-tailed deer in Ontario, Canada and later a similar strand was found in a human who had contact with the deer, according to a new study.

For the study, researchers collected 300 samples in November and December 2021 from white-tailed deer in Canada and discovered that 17 of the deer in southwestern Ontario tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, according to the study. The Canada study was posted to the database bioRxiv and has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

New COVID variant found in deer shows signs of possible deer-to-human transmission (msn.com)

 

Redhill drug blocks proteins that help the coronavirus

An experimental oral drug being developed by Redhill Biopharma Inc interrupts a process that helps the coronavirus infect cells and might keep COVID-19 patients from becoming seriously ill, the company said.

COVID SCIENCE-Redhill antiviral shows promise in safety study; J&J shot less effective preventing hospitalization (msn.com)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JWB said:

March 3 (Reuters) - Eli Lilly and Incyte's arthritis drug baricitinib helped reduce the risk of death in hospitalised COVID-19 patients by 13% regardless of which other coronavirus treatment they were given, according to a large British study.

Arthritis drug shown to reduce risk of COVID death in large UK trial (msn.com)

 

Anew variant of the coronavirus was found in a population of white-tailed deer in Ontario, Canada and later a similar strand was found in a human who had contact with the deer, according to a new study.

For the study, researchers collected 300 samples in November and December 2021 from white-tailed deer in Canada and discovered that 17 of the deer in southwestern Ontario tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, according to the study. The Canada study was posted to the database bioRxiv and has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

New COVID variant found in deer shows signs of possible deer-to-human transmission (msn.com)

 

Redhill drug blocks proteins that help the coronavirus

An experimental oral drug being developed by Redhill Biopharma Inc interrupts a process that helps the coronavirus infect cells and might keep COVID-19 patients from becoming seriously ill, the company said.

COVID SCIENCE-Redhill antiviral shows promise in safety study; J&J shot less effective preventing hospitalization (msn.com)

Let it be an already approved drug still under patent.  As opposed to something OTC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stargrunt6 said:

Let it be an already approved drug still under patent.  As opposed to something OTC.

Purpose of healthcare business is first to make money. If someone is healed, that is just gravy.

Edited by sunday
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...