tanknet.org

Interestingly, the new board software understands footnites/citations that point to a URL.

Sadly, citation 38 points to a journal article which costs 36USD.

As I am approaching my very late youth, finding out that I will develop "an inverse CD4/CD8 ratio, loss of naïve T cells, increased numbers of terminally-differentiated T cells and oligoclonal expansions of virus-specific T cells," severely altered Natural killer (NK) cells, and that latent cytomegalovirus infection contributing to immunosenescence of T and NK cells just makes my day. Thanks, nitflegal. You are a ray of sunshine. 😒

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770945

Findings  In this cohort study of 1641 adult patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection who were hospitalized, elevated RDW at admission and increasing RDW during hospitalization were associated with statistically significant increases in mortality risk. The association between the RDW at admission and mortality risk was independent of D-dimer (dimerized plasmin fragment D) level, absolute lymphocyte count, demographic factors, and common comorbidities.

Meaning  The findings suggest that an elevated RDW measured at admission and increasing RDW during hospitalization were associated with significantly higher mortality risk for patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection; RDW may be helpful for patient risk stratification.

7 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Interestingly, the new board software understands footnites/citations that point to a URL.

Sadly, citation 38 points to a journal article which costs 36USD.

As I am approaching my very late youth, finding out that I will develop "an inverse CD4/CD8 ratio, loss of naïve T cells, increased numbers of terminally-differentiated T cells and oligoclonal expansions of virus-specific T cells," severely altered Natural killer (NK) cells, and that latent cytomegalovirus infection contributing to immunosenescence of T and NK cells just makes my day. Thanks, nitflegal. You are a ray of sunshine. 😒

If it helps, I'm being quite positive on this board.  Get some bourbon into me and THEN ask about my opinion on Covid vaccines. . . 

6 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

Not that we should stop producing a vaccine, but placing hope in it that it will end the crisis is delusional.

I really think herd immunitity and convalescent plasma are going to be the key to all this.

The gov't customer for my job is talking about maintaining work-at-home until there is a vaccine. Umm...

https://scitechdaily.com/sufficient-levels-of-vitamin-d-significantly-reduces-complications-death-among-covid-19-patients/

Hospitalized COVID-19 patients who were vitamin D sufficient, with a blood level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D of at least 30 ng/mL (a measure of vitamin D status), had a significant decreased risk for adverse clinical outcomes including becoming unconscious, hypoxia (body starved for oxygen) and death. In addition, they had lower blood levels of an inflammatory marker (C-reactive protein) and higher blood levels of lymphocytes (a type of immune cell to help fight infection).

Here's a new one; Selenium.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/7/2098/htm

We conclude that Se status analysis in COVID patients provides diagnostic information. However, causality remains unknown due to the observational nature of this study. Nevertheless, the findings strengthen the notion of a relevant role of Se for COVID convalescence and support the discussion on adjuvant Se supplementation in severely diseased and Se-deficient patients.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, Stargrunt6 said:

The summoning circle consisted of a 1911, a Napoleonic miniature and, ironically, a Bible.

I would do just about anything for a 1911...