There is no middle ground anymore, because we let extremists on both sides hijack the discussion, mainly because the media sold out, and is completely sensationalist. This lack of a moderate ground is very firm evidence of societal decadence.

This quote is spot on for basically everything these days, not just the virus. Tempted to steal it for the quote area below my posts.

I agree. It was a moment of irrational clarity. Thank you for the kind words.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Campbell recently made the point that none of the public health authorities in GB have mentioned vitamin D. TMK, same-same here in the US.

Its pretty obvious that most public health authorities aren't reading the literature.

What is great about the current mess is that social media are providing effective mechanisms for researchers and clinicians to get the word out to the general public without the brainless filtering of the public health types.

I just watched a news segment about racial disparities in covid 19 survivability. Yeah, it was as nuanced and responsible as a network could cover a scientific subject.

No mention of average vitamin D levels being a reason for the differences.

If it had been, the next step would have been to declare vitamin D racist.

The logic of nearly all commentary I've seen has been "Minorities have worse outcomes than whites, so what precisely is the mechanism of racism?"

Even though clinicians have seen strong associations with vitamin D deficiency, hypertension, and diabetes. All morbidities that black Americans have, big time.

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/scitransmed/early/2020/06/22/scitranslmed.abc1126.full.pdf

Detection of SARS-CoV-2 infections to date has relied heavily on RT-PCR testing. However, limited test availability, high false-negative rates, and the existence of asymptomatic or sub-clinical infections have resulted in an under-counting of the true prevalence of SARS-CoV-2. Here, we show how influenza-like illness (ILI) outpatient surveillance data can be used to estimate the prevalence of SARS-CoV-2. We found a surge of non-influenza ILI above the seasonal average in March 2020 and showed that this surge correlated with COVID-19 case counts across states. If 1/3 of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 in the US sought care, this ILI surge would have corresponded to more than 8.7 million new SARS-CoV-2 infections across the US during the three-week period from March 8 to March 28, 2020. Combining excess ILI counts with the date of onset of community transmission in the US, we also show that the early epidemic in the US was unlikely to have been doubling slower than every 4 days. Together these results suggest a conceptual model for the COVID-19 epidemic in the US characterized by rapid spread across the US with over 80% infected patients remaining undetected. We emphasize the importance of testing these findings with seroprevalence data and discuss the broader potential to use syndromic surveillance for early detection and understanding of emerging infectious diseases.

Free article: CDC chief says coronavirus cases may be 10 times higher than reported

“Our best estimate right now is that for every case that’s reported, there actually are 10 other infections," CDC Director Robert Redfield said Thursday on a call with reporters.

Using that methodology pushes the tally of U.S. cases to at least 23 million. Redfield said the larger estimate is based on blood samples collected from around the country that look for the presence of antibodies to the virus. For every confirmed case of covid-19, 10 more people had antibodies, he said. Antibody tests examine a person’s blood for indicators that the immune system has mounted a response to an infection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/25/coronavirus-cases-10-times-larger/

New York is looking pretty good right now, and probably should be thinking about a quarantine of the inbound.

6/23: 85 cases

What a difference 8 weeks makes. New York has become a model for mitigation, if only the rest will follow it.

The Tri State (NY, CT, and NJ) is in fact mandating that people from the nine worst off states quarantine for two weeks if they enter the region.

There is no middle ground anymore, because we let extremists on both sides hijack the discussion, mainly because the media sold out, and is completely sensationalist. This lack of a moderate ground is very firm evidence of societal decadence.

This quote is spot on for basically everything these days, not just the virus. Tempted to steal it for the quote area below my posts.

Plus one on both of you

Unthinkable just 8 weeks ago, when the news out of there was getting pretty apocalyptic.

A domestic model for fighting this thing is sitting right there in NY harbor, like the USS Nimitz out of an 8-week time warp. What NY did right, and what it should have done better, should be in Newsom's playbook right now.

Maybe you skipped that in your reading.

No offense intended, but that's mostly bullshit. I realize that much of this hasn't been published and that should probably start a whole host of questions as to why not but here you go.

... Hell, they had military and gov't planes flying medical equipment and PPE around. Oh and on PPE, in early Feb they were requesting PPE manufacturers dramatically ramp up production, which they did. Unfortunately, most of the manufacturing was in China and guess who seized the PPE for their own use?

And when a link or sources are posted, I will acknowledge that post.

This might do.

In late Jan, FDA said they didn't have right stuff flr the virus but got to work on how they can.https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-announces-key-actions-advance-development-novel-coronavirus-medical-countermeasures

Some updates on their activites run through February and onwards on pages around 64.https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/counterterrorism-and-emerging-threats/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

No acknowledgement?

The logic of nearly all commentary I've seen has been "Minorities have worse outcomes than whites, so what precisely is the mechanism of racism?"

Even though clinicians have seen strong associations with vitamin D deficiency, hypertension, and diabetes. All morbidities that black Americans have, big time.

Combining those morbidities with economic factors and the sociodemos of the country's epicenter gets you a recipe for those worse minority outcomes.

When it comes to COVID numbers just tell me the percentage of deaths due to COVID per those infected then give me the demographics of the deceased

The last time I checked, the ratio of confirmed deaths versus confirmed positive tests was above 5.1% in the US. The overwhelming majority are likely to have comorbidities such as COPD or diabetes. These tend to correlate with age and low socio-economic status.

Edit: I screwed up the numbers, bad habit I have is trying to work from memory.

This did say 8%. As of today, the raw mortality rate (deaths attributed to COVID-19) divided by the number of positive test results is 5.1%

Edited by DB

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/opinion/sunday/western-society-decadence.html

What fascinates and terrifies us about the Roman Empire is not that it finally went smash, wrote W.H. Auden of that endless autumn, but rather that it managed to last for four centuries without creativity, warmth, or hope.

Not free but the headline pretty much says it all: IRS Sent $1.4 Billion in Stimulus Checks to Dead People, Audit Finds

The federal government’s quick action to issue stimulus payments in the wake of the coronavirus crisis led to more than a billion dollars of fraudulent payments, while slow action to address the health risks might have worsened the outbreak, according to a report by a government watchdog.

“In emergency situations, such as the Covid-19 pandemic, it is understandable, and appropriate, for agencies to want to get funds out the door quickly,” the Government Accountability Office said in the report released Thursday. “However, without the necessary safeguards in place, funds may not get to the intended places or be used for the intended purposes.”

Still, the government has yet to spend much of the $2.6 trillion that Congress has approved for the coronavirus response. So far, only $643 billion has gone to the six largest programs, which include the corporate bailout fund, small business loans and funding for health care providers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/irs-sent-14-billion-in-stimulus-checks-to-dead-people-audit-finds/2020/06/25/692a6d18-b6ee-11ea-9a1d-d3db1cbe07ce_story.html

Florida adds a record 9K to its tally of infected, bars closed effective immediately.

That's almost as much as Spain had on its worst day. :unsure:

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

Florida adds a record 9K to its tally of infected, bars closed effective immediately.

My state has ~1/3 the population of Florida and we just reported over 3400 new cases today (to be fair a very small number, less than 100, are positive antibody test results... our state website reports stuff in a really annoying manner).

ETA: The most worrisome bit is our ICU capacity has been climbing since the beginning (our lockdown did little to slow it down) and just sits under 90% currently.

Edited by Skywalkre

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/opinion/sunday/western-society-decadence.html

What fascinates and terrifies us about the Roman Empire is not that it finally went smash, wrote W.H. Auden of that endless autumn, but rather that it managed to last for four centuries without creativity, warmth, or hope.

I don't think it was that surprising when the alternative was the dark ages and barbarian invasions. Is it any different today?

I don't think it was that surprising when the alternative was the dark ages and barbarian invasions. Is it any different today?

I was just concurring with you that the US has entered a period of historical decadence (as the author of the essay pointed out, it's more an objective judgment than a criticism, not entirely a terrible thing if the counterpart is something like Verdun).

My state has ~1/3 the population of Florida and we just reported over 3400 new cases today (to be fair a very small number, less than 100, are positive antibody test results... our state website reports stuff in a really annoying manner).

ETA: The most worrisome bit is our ICU capacity has been climbing since the beginning (our lockdown did little to slow it down) and just sits under 90% currently.

My parents (I'm in my late 40s) are in Tucson. I hate this shit.

I would like to see more stats on infections vs deaths though. I'm not trying to be a Corona fanboy but I'm still kinda convinced I got it in early Feb -- severe chills, went unconscious for 18 hours, walked around babbling even more than I usually do etc. Most of my friends who have tested positive have reported the same symptoms.

I would like to see more stats on infections vs deaths though. I'm not trying to be a Corona fanboy but I'm still kinda convinced I got it in early Feb -- severe chills, went unconscious for 18 hours, walked around babbling even more than I usually do etc. Most of my friends who have tested positive have reported the same symptoms.

Can you get an antibody test? The professional ones we have here (done by a lab, not at home) are around 40-60 bucks. May be worth it if you want to know.

Over here they were sold for about the same price.

At the moment anyone (at least in Stockholm area) can take an antibody-test for free, but waiting-times, and time until result takes time, not unsurprisingly.

Unfortunately I have little faith in the antibody-testing such as they are at the moment.

Way too many of my nurse-collegues have been way too sick, testing positive for covid-19, and not showing antibodies afterwards.

Or worse, test are reliable, but they have not produced antibodies.

Submitted my test Tuesday, no reply yet.

Eta: Antibody-tests are taken venously at lab, not self-testing at home.

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson

Two docs in Honduras may have created a treatment for early-onset covid. Three family members have taken "MAÍZ" and have recovered very quickly, one of then in spite of severe symptoms and comorbidity.

edit: one cocktail uses hydroxychloroquine.

Article is in Spanish:

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-america-latina-52749761#

Edited by Stargrunt6