A coworker is sick. lets call him Bob. Bob gets sick and might have COVID 19...he goes to his doctor and tests positive. Should work be able to tell it's staff, hey, go get checked if you show any symptoms and if you had contact with Bob.

Who told work that Bob tested for anything specific? Work only knows what Bob tells them, and yes, if Bob tells them that he tested positive for a contagious disease, work should notify the entire staff and anybody else with whom Bob might have come in contact. Moreover, should Bob tell work that he tested positive for a contagious disease, work should tell Bob not to return until cleared by doctor.

Bob did. If I understand the DOL privacy rule, work still can't identify Bob to his co-worker. Bob has to do so directly.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Soap also increases the pH - at least "real soap" does (I mean, curd soap, had to look that up) - which attacks the protective shell of most microbials. The involved chemical reactions there just need time - 30 seconds. Hand sanitizers are preferred by medical practitioners simply because they work faster, not because soap is useless.

You can also use diluted house cleaning products as a "super-soap" if you know what you are doing w/o much problem. And one jug will last you months.

Running out of cleaning products is very secondary issue unless it is total apocalipse situation.

I am amused by the amount of rice that people seem to be buying up....

Dried beans are way superior.

100 grams = ~330 kcal, while rice is less than 120

Also ~20+g of proteins vs 2g for rice.

Buckwheat is also superior to rice.

Good suggestion, but you forgot to mention the advantage in fibre. Unfortunately dried beans (and lentils / chick peas / dried peas etc) require a bit of planning like soaking overnight (simple really). And as most people cannot plan past their next coffee there may be a problem.

Black beans and rice, with some canned tomato and maybe some jerky, bacon or (horror) spam added sounds like a decent meal to help one relax after a violent day of zombie control.

Pressure cooker is your friend there, no soaking needed. The fancy electric ones are pretty simple to use.

Good suggestion, but you forgot to mention the advantage in fibre.

And that. All around superior thing.

Unfortunately dried beans (and lentils / chick peas / dried peas etc) require a bit of planning like soaking overnight (simple really). And as most people cannot plan past their next coffee there may be a problem.

Well, you can not cure unwillingness to think, at least until they hit a wall really hard.

Black beans and rice, with some canned tomato and maybe some jerky, bacon or (horror) spam added sounds like a decent meal to help one relax after a violent day of zombie control.

Dried meat products are another thing. For a properly cured south European style bacon (not that water soaked shit that passes for bacon in supermarkets) you don't need refrigeration as long as storage temperature is lower than 15 deg. Good dried cheese also. Beef jerky. Cured pork. You can crudely preserve vegetables by just keeping them in vinegar/salt solution.

Buy some vitamin supplements (hint - you can bulk-buy most vitamins at way lower price than in pharmacies. No need to check pharmacies that might ran out of fancy supplements), and you are set for a decent if somewhat monotonous diet for a month or two.

Edited by bojan

I don't think for one moment that the hot-rodded flu that the Corona virus represents is an existential threat but it certainly is interesting to read the long term survival options here.

Learn to grow a garden and save the seeds (always)

become proficient at canning vegetables (it isn't very hard)

make sure you can cook over an open fire

When in doubt collect Foxfire books.

oh, and just in time inventory never is...

For the "It's just like the flu, don't worry"-crowd, here's the real problem of COVID-19.

It's less about individual risk of a bad outcome, but about the danger of the overall strain on the health sector in countries.

That is why countries are trying to limit the spread with social distancing and isolation of confirmed or suspected cases. If you can delay it so the entire epidemic spans a long time, you might be able to handle it with a well developed health care system. If you lose control and you get thousands of cases in just a few weeks, you might be in severe trouble.

https://apnews.com/837274f1bab9af1aab12f1b9481b2d62

Italy’s health system at limit in virus-struck Lombardy
MILAN (AP) — The coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy has so overwhelmed the public health system that officials are taking extraordinary measures to care for the sick, seeking to bring doctors out of retirement and accelerate graduation dates for nursing students.
The region of Lombardy is the epicenter of Italy’s outbreak, registering the first positive test of the northern cluster and now counting at least 1,254 of Italy’s 2,036 cases. Alarmingly, 10% of Lombardy’s doctors and nurses cannot work because they tested positive for the virus and are in quarantine, the region’s top health official, Giulio Gallera, said Monday.
With officials expecting Italy’s numbers to continue rising for at least another week, until containment measures begin to show their effect, the health care emergency in Lombardy has reached a crisis point.
Hospitals in hard-hit Lodi and Cremona were so overwhelmed at times last week, with more sick people arriving than could be accepted, that they closed their emergency rooms and new patients were taken elsewhere.
“Effectively some of the hospitals in Lombardy are under a stress that is much heavier than what this area can support,” Dr. Massimo Galli, head of infectious disease at Milan’s Sacco Hospital, told Sky TG24. “This epidemic is on a scale that is larger than anyone could have thought, imagined or prevented.”
Still, the north’s intensive care sections of hospitals are still able to handle their case loads, the head of the national Civil Protection agency, Angelo Borrelli, told reporters Monday evening. Some 9% of people diagnosed with the COVID-19 need intensive care, Borrelli said.
Lombardy’s regional government has asked the central government to reactivate retired doctors and nurses and get them back on the payroll. In addition, nursing students who were due to take their final exams next month are now expected to graduate in the coming days so they can be immediately put to work, Gallera said.
“We’ll take anyone: old, young. We need personnel, especially qualified doctors,” Gallera told reporters.
Private hospitals in Lombardy have offered up beds in intensive care units and more than a dozen doctors from the private sector have agreed to work in public hospitals to ease the crisis, regional president Attilio Fontana said.Regional authorities have asked Lombardy’s hospitals to reduce by 70 percent their planned or elective surgeries, to free up ICU beds for virus patients.
Underscoring the emergency, Fontana himself has been in quarantine for several days after one of his top aides tested positive for the virus. A second member of the regional government tested positive Monday, forcing the entire regional government to undergo testing. Fontana has been working and sleeping in his office, appearing at each day’s virus briefing via video.
Lombardy and Veneto, along with another northern region, Emilia-Romagna have registered a total of 52 deaths in patients with the virus, Borrelli said, with 18 of those deaths occurring on Monday.
Authorities have stressed that the deaths have occurred in people who were already weakened by chronic diseases like kidney ailments, diabetes and heart problems, and many of those who died were in their 80s or 90s.
In recent days, the United States issued a travel advisory warning American citizens against visiting. While schools remained closed Monday in the hardest-hit regions, the Duomo catherdral in Milan, Italy’s financial hub, reopened to tourists.
The Lombardy cluster was first registered in the tiny town of Codogno on Feb. 19, when the first patient tested positive. Several doctors, nurses and patients at Codogno’s hospital tested positive as well, since no protective measures had been taken when the patient first came to the emergency room a day earlier complaining of flu-like symptoms.
The plight of the Codogno medical staff has become emblematic of the challenges facing Lombardy’s health system, which has also been hit by a chronic shortage of protective masks. A visiting World Health Organization mission made a public rebuke of the Italian government last week demanding that the “front-line heroes” of Italy’s virus crisis receive the protective equipment they need.
Civil protection chief Angelo Borrelli has insisted Italy is doing what it can, including centralizing the acquisition and distribution of specialized masks, which Italy doesn’t produce domestically.
To confront the strains, the civil protection force has erected 283 triage units in tents outside hospitals and other facilities in the hard-hit regions, to provide protected environment for patients to be assessed and treated.
Borrelli has to date rejected suggestions that Italy erect a Wuhan-style hospital specifically to treat virus cases, saying officials have considered such a scenario but to date believe they can handle the outbreak with existing structures and mobile hospital units.
___
Winfield reported from Rome. Frances D’Emilio contributed from Rome.
Edited by Der Zeitgeist

Delaying the spread so that some and especially high risk folks can be given an efficacious vaccine will also mitigate the impact.

Edited by rmgill

Dealying the spread so that some and especially high risk folks can be given an efficacious vaccine will also mitigate the impact.

Most of the realistic estimates for a commonly available vaccine say spring or summer of 2021. Actually developing vaccines apparently goes pretty fast these days. That's why we read a ton of articles these days announcing that Biotech Company X or Y has already produced a "vaccine candidate" and will soon begin "Phase 1 clinical trials". What they don't tell you is that Phase 1 trials are mostly testing the safety of the vaccine, to make sure it isn't toxic, for example, and don't really test for actual medical effectiveness against a real infection yet. That only happens many trials later.

So, it's these clinical trials and the regulatory approval process that take ages and there aren't many shortcuts you can take to make sure a vaccine is safe, especially if it's something developed mostly from the ground up (unlike the H1N1 vaccines that were developed in 2009).

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

There is truth to that statement but the reality is that there are millions of black swan events that would tank everything.

Modern society is breathtakingly fragile and yet people who prepare for the possibility of collapse are generally looked down upon.

No matter how well prepared a person is if the modern electrical grid fails for an extended period of time an enormous number of people are going to die. Modern medicine extends lifespans but when that extension fails people are going to die.

Today's society would have tremendous difficulty with the Spanish Flu if it got loose.

The Media has a vested interest in making the current scare more interesting...

No masks and hand sanitizer to be found in Vancouver,

SOAP.

Sanitizes very well, if applied for 30+ seconds rather than a token hand wetting.

Soap that is good at degreesing like dish soap. COVID19 has an outer layer of lipids that is removed with soap, killing the virus.

Pasta, rice (well the dry stuff, not the 90 sec in the microwave) is off the shelves here in Australia, dried beans, barley and split peas are not available.

The packet pasta that you mix with water and butter and then microwave is still available.

Well at least it means that lots of people will have boring food to clear out of their cupboards in the next few months, and hopefully charities will have a windfall.

I have some long term reserves from before this particular panic, so maybe when the shit hits the fan without any toilet paper to clean it up I will start a soup kitchen outside my place a couple of evenings a week for a few weeks.

I may finish up feeding some local cats and dogs as well.

I like my neighbours

Paper towel and tissues are getting scarce, next thing you know sandpaper will not be available either.

Pasta, rice (well the dry stuff, not the 90 sec in the microwave) is off the shelves here in Australia, dried beans, barley and split peas are not available.

The packet pasta that you mix with water and butter and then microwave is still available.

Well at least it means that lots of people will have boring food to clear out of their cupboards in the next few months, and hopefully charities will have a windfall.

I have some long term reserves from before this particular panic, so maybe when the shit hits the fan without any toilet paper to clean it up I will start a soup kitchen outside my place a couple of evenings a week for a few weeks.

I like my neighbours

Paper towel and tissues are getting scarce, next thing you know sandpaper will not be available either.

It will not be a real crisis until your out of Vegamite ^_^

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

For what it's worth, I really don't like hot dogs. To many in the U.S., this is mild blasphemy.

Stocks are up because Bernie's chances are a lot less. I wonder what happens to the stock market if Trump or even Biden catches the virus.

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

For what it's worth, I really don't like hot dogs. To many in the U.S., this is mild blasphemy.

What about apple pie and baseball? :)

I like my neighbours

I have kept a rolling two week supply of non-perishables for years and since I split a side of beef with a friend every year I have anywhere from a year to a couple months worth of beef in the freezer depending on where in the cycle we are. So I haven't really had to stock up. I did buy some more instant/heat and eat type stuff than I normally would during my last costco run on the off chance that both of us are sick enough to not feel like cooking sometime in the next few months. Since what I have is what I normally use anyway I'm not planning on having to unload anything in the near future.

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

What about apple pie and baseball? :)

:D to apple pie and :D to baseball. Good response ^_^

I visited Costco today. No sign of any shortages (although I wasn't looking for Venezuelan currency). I do now have about a couple of months of meat in the freezer. I can't keep vegetables in the house - not sure what is wrong but I can't even keep potatoes for more than a week before they rot, doesn't seem to matter where I put them. Plenty of rice, tinned stuff etc.

I have plenty of on-board reserves to get rid of too, so I think I'm fine until someone turns up with a gun for my last meatball.

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

That's fine, but what about brats and the like? Edited by Stargrunt6

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

That's fine, but what about brats and the like?

Grilled brats with a beer is fine. Except for one restaurant in Rising Sun,IN, all sausages are too greasy, probably due to me being 60 years old in a few weeks.

I like my neighbours

I abhor Vegemite

That's fine, but what about brats and the like?

Grilled brats with a beer is fine. Except for one restaurant in Rising Sun,IN, all sausages are too greasy, probably due to me being 60 years old in a few weeks.

If I had to pick one place in Indiana to have brats, it'd be the Schnitzelbank in Jasper.