• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/7/2021 at 9:37 AM, Ivanhoe said:

Bull. Masks are nothing more than Kabuki Theater that enables Karens to Karen.

What's a group of Karens called? It's not flock or herd. It's a Stasi. 

10 minutes ago, sunday said:

First Pfizer jab received, surprisingly painless. No ill effects to report.

Welcome to The Family, Brother;

omega3.jpg

5 hours ago, sunday said:

Doctor Fraudci says it's all a waste of time.  We could all be vaccinated, and says the Fraudster, we must not return to life as it was in 2019.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/13/quarter-covid-deaths-not-caused-virus/

Calls to speed up roadmap as data records people dying 'with' disease rather than 'from' it

Almost a quarter of registered Covid deaths are people who are not dying from the disease, new official figures show, as the Government was urged to move faster with the roadmap in the light of increasingly positive data.

1 hour ago, DKTanker said:

Doctor Fraudci says it's all a waste of time.  We could all be vaccinated, and says the Fraudster, we must not return to life as it was in 2019.

Not going to argue with that, but old age and diabetes makes suitability odds not good anyway, and I would be able to travel a bit. Thus increasing the chances of getting Kung Flu 😅.

Site of jab is a bit sore now, but nothing painful, after about 13 hours of the administration.

2 minutes ago, sunday said:

Not going to argue with that, but old age and diabetes makes suitability odds not good anyway, and I would be able to travel a bit. Thus increasing the chances of getting Kung Flu 😅.

Site of jab is a bit sore now, but nothing painful, after about 13 hours of the administration.

Being pre-diabetic, with controlled hypertension, and a previous heart attack, I've had both Pfizer jabs.  Still, with the US Government telling people that the lives they put on hold a year ago will never be seen again, regardless of vaccinations, I can understand the reluctance by many.

34 minutes ago, DKTanker said:

Being pre-diabetic, with controlled hypertension, and a previous heart attack, I've had both Pfizer jabs.  Still, with the US Government telling people that the lives they put on hold a year ago will never be seen again, regardless of vaccinations, I can understand the reluctance by many.

Especially with the idiotic messaging from politicians and public health authorities.

9 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

Especially with the idiotic messaging from politicians and public health authorities.

As my wife has said, when Fauci et al admitted to lying to us for our own good, how can we ever know when they are telling us the real truth?  We'll always wonder if what we're hearing is for "our own good."

1 minute ago, DKTanker said:

As my wife has said, when Fauci et al admitted to lying to us for our own good, how can we ever know when they are telling us the real truth?  We'll always wonder if what we're hearing is for "our own good."

Fauci wasn't the only one to lie. Trump said it would be gone in 2 weeks and when the weather got warmer.

Date 13.04.2021

Coronavirus: Johnson & Johnson delays vaccine delivery to Europe

Johnson & Johnson is pushing back the EU rollout of its single-dose vaccine following reports of blood clots. Previously, US authorities had urged a pause on use of the vaccine.

Johnson & Johnson announced that it would delay the rollout of its vaccine in Europe after US officials urged a pause on administering the jab earlier on Tuesday.

"We are aware of an extremely rare disorder involving people with blood clots in combination with low platelets in a small number of individuals who have received our COVID-19 vaccine," the pharma giant announced in a statement, adding the company has been "reviewing these cases with European health authorities."

The US company had sent its first vaccine delivery to Europe earlier this week. It was scheduled to send about 50 million doses by the end of June.

Paused in the US

Earlier on Tuesday, US health agencies recommended an immediate pause on use of the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, according to a US Food and Drug Administration statement released Tuesday.

According to the FDA, six vaccine recipients developed rare blood clots within about two weeks of being inoculated.

The recommendation, made in tandem with US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), means that federal vaccine distribution channels, including mass vaccination sites, will pause the use of the single-shot vaccine. 

States and other providers are expected to follow.

After the J&J vaccine was granted emergency approval by regulators in late February, more than 6.8 million doses have already been administered in the US, which is a small fraction of the estimated 120 million people who have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccines in the United States.

How long will the J&J suspension last?

A CDC advisory committee will meet Wednesday to discuss the six blood clot cases, and the FDA will also investigate. 

"Until that process is complete, we are recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution,'' Dr. Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director of the CDC, and Dr. Peter Marks, the director of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said in the joint statement.

The New York Times reported that all six of the cases were found in women between the ages of 18 and 48. One woman died, and another has been hospitalized, the paper reported, citing officials.

[...]

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-johnson-johnson-delays-vaccine-delivery-to-europe/a-57164365

Date 13.04.2021

Author Fabian Schmidt

Coronavirus: Confusion over efficacy of Chinese vaccines

After a high-ranking Chinese virologist appeared to doubt the efficacy of China's four approved vaccines, he is now backpedaling and calling it a misunderstanding.

Gao Fu, head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, attracted a lot of attention when he told a conference in Chengdu that Chinese vaccines "do not achieve very high protection rates."

But shortly after he qualified his statement. His aim, Fu said, was to discuss ways of increasing the effectiveness of the vaccines even further, for example by administering different preparations. He had therefore set out a corresponding "scientific vision," he told the Chinese newspaper the Global Times. 

Fu's argument is consistent with what is known about the efficacy of the four vaccines approved in China so far. Indeed, they are by no means ineffective.

Three inactivated vaccines, one vector vaccine

Three of the vaccines — two from Sinopharm and one from Sinovac — are inactivated virus vaccines.  They are therefore based on a long-established technology used in vaccines for diseases like hepatitis B or influenza.

Although these COVID-19 vaccines do not achieve efficacy levels as high as those seen in the mRNA vaccines from BioNTech/Pfizer or Moderna, which have over 95% efficacy, they are still significantly more effective than some influenza vaccines, some of which only achieve efficacy levels of 30-60%.

Sinopharm's Vero vaccine, for example, still achieved 79% efficacy in a Phase III study conducted in 10 countries. In a separate study, the United Arab Emirates achieved 86% efficacy.

The efficacy of Sinovac's CoronaVac vaccine ranges from 50-78%, according to preliminary studies from Brazil and Indonesia. 

CanSino's fourth Chinese vaccine is a vector vaccine based on an adenovirus type 5, making it comparable in mode of action to AstraZeneca's vaccine. It is expected to achieve an efficacy of 65%.

In principle, the efficacy values improve even further to over 80% when only severe courses  of disease are taken into account, namely those that also require hospitalization.

Combination of vaccines not unusual

The idea of combining vaccines to increase efficacy is not fundamentally new. Scientists are currently discussing similar approaches for AstraZeneca's vector vaccine.

And the Russian vaccine Sputnik V  also consists, strictly speaking, of two vaccinations with different vector vaccines based on different adenoviruses. The developers hope that this will lead to greater efficacy.

China is practically unable to test the efficacy of its vaccines in its own country because very few cases of infection occur as a result of the strict lockdown measures. Research is therefore dependent on studies conducted in heavily affected countries such as Brazil. 

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-confusion-over-efficacy-of-chinese-vaccines/a-57181029

Date 13.04.2021

Author Murali Krishnan (New Delhi)

COVID: India faces vaccine shortage amid surge in new cases

India is grappling with a shortage of vaccines as a new wave of infections grips the country. Several states and vaccination centers have reported an unfulfillable demand.

Several states have reported shortages of coronavirus vaccines as the number of cases in India has passed Brazil's tally, making it the country with the second-highest number of infections in the world.

The second wave of infections is wreaking havoc in India, with health officials reporting 161,736 cases in 24 hours, bringing the number of infections above 13.6 million, according to Health Ministry data. The death toll has risen to over 171,000, and the country now accounts for one in every six daily new infections worldwide.

"India seems to need more vaccines than it has, with vaccination centers and state governments announcing shortfalls, and is unlikely to reach its desired scale anytime soon," MC Mishra, former director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, told DW.

States complain of vaccine scarcity

With the ongoing surge, Russia's Sputnik V vaccine was cleared for emergency use by the national drug regulator, the Drugs Controller General of India, on Tuesday.

At 91.6%, Sputnik V, which is manufactured in India by Dr. Reddy's labs, has the highest effectiveness, after the Moderna and BioNTech-Pfizer shots. Dr. Reddy's had applied on February 19 for emergency use of the vaccine, which is in Phase 3 of clinical trials in India.

It will now be the third vaccine to be cleared for use after Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, made by the Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII), and another, Covaxin, developed by the Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech.

The Serum Institute, the world's largest vaccine maker by volume, had agreed to produce 1.1 billion doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine — known in India as Covishield — for delivery. So far, more than 104.5 million people in the country have received at least one dose of the inoculation.

Health officials are concerned that, despite the spike in cases, certain states have indicated that just over five days of vaccine stocks are currently remaining, while another week of supplies is in the pipeline.

[...]

Experts say the government failed to anticipate a higher demand for vaccinations when it opened up its first drive. Officials also did not take into account the vaccines that the country had shipped out through its ambitious "Vaccine Maitri," or "vaccine friendship," initiative with other countries.

India has shipped more than 60 million doses to 76 nations, delivered either under the World Health Organization-backed COVAX mechanism or as part of commercial deals.

Of the countries that received India-made vaccines, at least 37 got them for free — 17 of them through COVAX, under the aegis of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI).  Both major vaccine producers in India still have commercial obligations and huge pending orders.

"The tangible costs of the nonavailability of vaccines at home far outweigh the non-tangible benefits of vaccine diplomacy. We should have ensured better use domestically," the international relations expert Happymon Jacob told DW.

Production unable to keep up with demand

Production capacity has been unable to keep up with the recent spike in demand for the vaccines.

Officials told DW that the government had decided to stop the direct grant of COVID-19 vaccines to other countries until the supply of vaccines for domestic requirements reaches a favorable level.

[...]

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-india-faces-vaccine-shortage-amid-surge-in-new-cases/a-57187524

Edited by BansheeOne

So it seems i got rated for risk group 1... got booked for vaccine next Tuesday. Almost certainly Pfizer since Astra-Zeneca is given for >65 year olds only, and Moderna is available in very small quantities. 

Bit baffled why I qualify though, unless they have a much more complicated and detailed risk analysis going on that I would've thought. Sleep apnea might qualify me for risk level 2. If they count the diagnosis-defying frequent visits about respiratory issues 5-10 years ago as chronic lung disease, and make multiple level 2 qualifications to sum up for risk level 1, that's about the only way i could imagine it not being a mistake... Oh well, happy to take it either way, won't ask too many questions...

14 hours ago, jmsaari said:

So it seems i got rated for risk group 1... got booked for vaccine next Tuesday. Almost certainly Pfizer since Astra-Zeneca is given for >65 year olds only, and Moderna is available in very small quantities. 

Bit baffled why I qualify though, unless they have a much more complicated and detailed risk analysis going on that I would've thought. Sleep apnea might qualify me for risk level 2. If they count the diagnosis-defying frequent visits about respiratory issues 5-10 years ago as chronic lung disease, and make multiple level 2 qualifications to sum up for risk level 1, that's about the only way i could imagine it not being a mistake... Oh well, happy to take it either way, won't ask too many questions...

When you go to the Doctor, he seems surprised to see you around? that's a clue... :D

51 minutes ago, JWB said:

Not free:

U.S. could have 300 million extra vaccine doses by end of July, raising concerns about hoarding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/15/united-states-vaccine-sharing/

The United States will probably have “at least 300 million excess doses or more” by the end of July, the Duke paper’s authors estimate, even as vaccination programs are extended to the vast majority of U.S. children.

I haven't read the paper yet, but I am skeptical about their definition of "excess."

Still, imagine 2020 AD had Hillary won the election.

The Biden administration has pledged to donate doses. “If we have a surplus, we’re going to share it with the rest of the world,” Biden said last month, when pressed on the issue. “We’re going to start off making sure Americans are taken care of first, but we’re then going to try to help the rest of the world.” Blinken has made the case that protecting Americans requires international action. “This pandemic won’t end at home until it ends worldwide,” he said at a news conference on April 5. But no global plan to donate doses has been specified.

Umm, say what?

The world’s poorest 92 countries will not be able to reach a vaccination rate of 60 percent of their populations until 2023 “or beyond” if current distribution trends continue, the Duke paper estimates.

The big question apparently not addressed is, what percentage of poorer countries' populations are high risk? Most 3rd world countries are young, even more so compared to EU, US, and Japan.

If poor countries only vaccinate 25% of their populations, but the 25% most at risk, that transforms COVID-19 to the equivalent of a mild flu season.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:55 PM, sunday said:

Excellent news. The vaccine front against the pandemic continues to escalate. In humanity's favor I think.

Although my wife did mention she spoke with one of the college-age (Berkeley!) daughters of our Vietnamese neighbor who will not be opting for vaccination when she becomes eligible (sometime this week I think). Something about her father being opposed to the vaccine, and his wanting others to guinea pig its varieties before allowing anyone in his family to receive it.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, DKTanker said:

Leadership personified.