Tank And Afv Manuals

Stuart Galbraith

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its such an interesting vehicle.

Speaking of, I never realized that its final drive axles were made up of two separate ones connected by a double-width roller chain. Are there any other vehicles with such a setup?

fQ9YOAY.jpg

Speaking of, I never realized that its final drive axles were made up of two separate ones connected by a double-width roller chain. Are there any other vehicles with such a setup?

fQ9YOAY.jpg

Im wondering if WW1 tanks had such a setup?

Thanks for that Colin.

Thanks, Stuart. I've got some future reading material now!

fQ9YOAY.jpg

I would hazard a guess that is done to permit a small amount of misalignment. I can't say I've even seen it done with chain though, that's kind of clever. I have seen some drawings somewhere of the Chrysler multibank where each crank has a sort of nested floating ring gear to connect to the output shaft for a similar purpose

NP Coldsteel.

Ive got some other ones to get on with, I think the next one will be book manuals to scan. So you all have plenty of time to download it all before I start taking stuff down to make room.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Some WW1 tanks used chains, but in a more bicycle-like propulsive manner, with it connecting two sprockets in different locations. As Coldsteel says, this seems to be more of a pseudo-CV joint, or as the manual says, the axle sprockets and chains "...provide a flexible drive between the inner and outer axles." Seemed pretty novel. :)

Ok, so here is the Chieftain Mk2-3-5 manual.

Page 63 (main engine) section 8 is unfortunately missing.

Yeah, im going to have to redo a few bits, I just noticed reading through it on Kindle the other day (there are a few pages missing around page 48 as well). Bear with me.

Incidentally, ive taken the M60A2 gunnery and Khalid manuals off, among a few other things, so the links no longer work. As said, i can always reupload if someone badly wants something.

Some WW1 tanks used chains, but in a more bicycle-like propulsive manner, with it connecting two sprockets in different locations. As Coldsteel says, this seems to be more of a pseudo-CV joint, or as the manual says, the axle sprockets and chains "...provide a flexible drive between the inner and outer axles." Seemed pretty novel. :)

I guess this was some way of keeping weight down? I seem to recall they also designed this with US Army Airborne units in mind, though they later dropped out (snicker).

M56 was the project for army airborne mobile AT guns, a lesson taken from Arnhem, 1944

At an Antitank Defense Conference hosted by Army Field Forces in late 1948, new requirements were determined by the airborne representatives for a lightweight 76mm antitank gun and a lightly armored self-propelled 90mm gun, weighing 16,000lb, combat loaded. The self-propelled vehicle design would fit the weight limits of the proposed heavy assault glider and the C-82 aircraft and thus be capable of parachute delivery in the Phase I assault of the airborne division. It would be fully tracked and use the same 90mm ammunition as the standard American medium tank, which would make up part of the usual link-up force.

M50 OTOH was designed to provide infantry with armored mobility and firepower:

The coming of the Korean War had demonstrated that the rest of the Army
also “urgently” required improved armored vehicles and firepower, and this
requirement was summarized in the Army Equipment Development Guide
(December 29, 1950):
…full tracked armored carriers to transport personnel or vital cargo over
fireswept areas … These vehicles should be adaptable for infantry assault and
anti-tank purposes by mounting the 105mm recoilless rifle on the basic chassis.

This later merged with an early think-tank project to help NATO stop the armor of the Russian Army:

Although the final report of Project Vista was not delivered until early 1952, much progress had been accomplished in its first months of activities, briefings, and field visits. The staff group assigned to field force weapons, armor, and transportation took particular interest in the new recoilless rifles and the potential of their shaped-charge munitions to penetrate and destroy the largest and heaviest tanks in use. In considering defense against enemy armor, the group rejected the dogma that tanks are the best defense against other tanks. Instead:
"...our antitank defense of Western Europe must rely primarily upon mines and ONTOS [a Greek word for “thing” or “entity”]. Tactical air will be a powerful weapon after air parity is established."
The report continued with the observation that:
"...the ONTOS is a new weapon which cannot be compared with our ineffectual tank-destroyer units of World War II. We have never combined [with mines] the advantages of each of these weapons into an integrated system."

https://www.amazon.com/M50-Ontos-M56-Scorpion-1956-70/dp/1472814738/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=m50+ontos&qid=1595662080&sr=8-2

These pamphlet size books are written under fixed contract BTW, and authors do not receive royalties from sales.

• 3 months later...

This is the T64A gunnery manual. I apologies for the format, I had hoped to connect it into pdf book format, but I run PDF creator 6 and it seems that it refuses to join these particular scans. No idea why it was doing it happy a few weeks ago. Never mind, Ill update to a new copy. In the meantime you will have to console yourselves with pdfs of 2 pages. Though they are all numbered so I dont see too much cause for complaint.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pdg2ai6288sttx/t64a.zip?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...