Jump to content

Israeli Afvs


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • 4 weeks later...

Rafael's video on NGCV shows some different vehicles with their systems, but the most intriguing one is a Merkava 4M with what appears to be a quad launcher protruding from behind its turret top modules.

My personal estimate is that it is just a launcher for FireFly drones made by Rafael, that they were too lazy to stick somewhere else in the model, and wanted to highlight that it's indeed a launcher and not a box.

FireFly drones, of course, launch vertically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alanch90 said:

Hello everyone, first post in this forum. Quick doubt, how credible is the claim here about the weight of Merkava 4 (presumably including Trophy) being 80 tons?
 

 

Incredibly un-credible.

80 tons is about the absolute maximum weight rating for Israel's HETs (Heavy Equipment Transporter). Reaching that weight would mark a critical point of failure in the program.

Actual weight is around the 65 ton mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, methos said:

It is not the first and not the only time this claim has been made. The 65 t figure is a valid for the baseline model; the mine protection plate for the Merkava 4 has been claimed to weigh four metric tons.

And who made that claim? A metal sheet of that size would certainly weigh roughly that amount, but I've no memory of any specific claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 1:19 PM, Mighty_Zuk said:

And who made that claim? A metal sheet of that size would certainly weigh roughly that amount, but I've no memory of any specific claim.

According to Rolf Hilmes, the Merkava 4 (initial production model) had a combat weight of 65 metric tons. The addition of a mine protection kit (and Trophy?) increases the weight to 71.4 metric tons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, methos said:

According to Rolf Hilmes, the Merkava 4 (initial production model) had a combat weight of 65 metric tons. The addition of a mine protection kit (and Trophy?) increases the weight to 71.4 metric tons.

I'm not familiar with this publication. But there is something even weirder.

An article today, in non-defense media, stated the Merkava 4 weighs 82 tons, and that it "today has 1500hp and no longer 1300hp" and also "various things the Merkava 3 doesn't have" like electric brakes.

This could be understood in more than one way. Did the Merkava 4 have power conversion issues that were now erected, that reduced its actual power to 1300hp, or was the Merkava 3's engine yet again up-rated to a nominal 1300hp?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the publication? If it's an American magazine style like Business Insider, or similar, they're not immune to getting tonnes and tons mixed up, or being unclear which ones they are using.

80 short tons, for example, is about 72.5 tonnes and is just the sort of conversion plus rounding you'd get from a popular magazine article in the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DB said:

What is the publication? If it's an American magazine style like Business Insider, or similar, they're not immune to getting tonnes and tons mixed up, or being unclear which ones they are using.

80 short tons, for example, is about 72.5 tonnes and is just the sort of conversion plus rounding you'd get from a popular magazine article in the US.

True, but the source is an Israeli website, and in Israel we're using metric tons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...